1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How far are you willing to move your Initial Settler?

Discussion in 'Strategy Section' started by Stalker0, Jul 23, 2020.

1. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

How does the city starve when working a lake tile and an amber tile? It should still have +1 growth, doesn't it?

2. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Probably very important to this question, do you all use advanced settings mod to increase your initial visibility, or is it based on scouting alone?

JamesNinelives likes this.
  3. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I just scout

4. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

At the moment I don't, but I have done that in the past.

5. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

It seems to change both civilians to both of the Hill tiles, resulting in starvation. Really really weird.

6. Melchizedek

Melchizedek Warlord

I've also seen cases where the governor chooses indisputably bad tiles. Like, with an atoll available it will work a forest.

7. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Known bug and its being worked on.

8. Rhys DeAnno

Rhys DeAnno Prince

On the original point, I'm a big believer in moving to improve your 0th-2nd tile or so. You end up losing turns of science especially (because that is mostly just palace), but you'll very quickly catch up a few turns in other yields if your city + first tile is even something like (3f1p + 3f) vs. (2f1p1g + 2f1p).

I guess I should probably be more reluctant to move in situations where you're science hungry, like if the local lux is 2nd tier or away from your civ's preferred early techs.

9. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Curious what you all think would be the best way to salvage this very low food start. What I did noted in spoilers

Spoiler :

Settled on the 3f two tiles to the east.

upload_2020-8-5_2-36-27.png

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  10. Rhys DeAnno

Rhys DeAnno Prince

I would've maybe settled on the coastal plains East and NE. Four decent adjacent tiles and about as protected a harbor as you're gonna get, still in reach of the three visible luxes. (Elephants in 2nd ring also is much more manageable than 3rd)

Of course, what I actually do is move East to the Forest. Then next turn I continue scouting warrior SW and E and Scout E and probably E again. If I see a natural wonder or something similarly outrageous I probably change my settling plan.

11. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

Move NE onto the hill and settle there. Canal FTW

12. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I've been looking for like 10 minutes and I'm still not sure what to do. Props for finding this start, its a great one to discuss. As Portugal, coast is appealing, so is desert because of Petra. You probably want to research trade quickly, thus not connecting amber immediately.

I would take a greedy settle on the plains river tile two tiles away. I'm thinking progress, not tradition. Either skip religion or try to make god of Commerce work.

The safe one is to settle the flat coastal amber. Your city starts with 2 food, 2 production, 2 gold, research pottery and hope to find fish. Settling on the ivory is pretty good too. Free luxury connection, two forests in immediate radius.

I think your choice only makes sense if you really, really want tradition.

JamesNinelives and Rhys DeAnno like this.
  13. Rhys DeAnno

Rhys DeAnno Prince

I think there is actually a river there hard to see, it would be 3f2p1g. It's probably my second choice of settle, but the river plains tempting Petra is hard to overcome, and the harbor isn't as well defended by the amber either.

Pretty strong production start if you do the Amber though, probably you go Pyramids. (With Portugal on Deity with this dirt I think Stonehenge might be too risky a found. On Immortal Stonehenge starts to become more of an option.)

JamesNinelives and CrazyG like this.
  14. crdvis16

crdvis16 Emperor

My guess would be that trapping or fishing would reveal deer/fish and food would no longer be a problem, and until you reveal them you can work the 2f1p forest. So I'd probably settle in place, or settle the flat Amber (though if that really is a river between the starting location and flat Amber then I'd favor settling in place so as not to lose a turn).

JamesNinelives and Melchizedek like this.
  15. Melchizedek

Melchizedek Warlord

I think either settle in place and expect fish to show up or the plains river tile next to desert are viable. That tile only costs 1 turn to reach and keeps most of the workable tiles where resources might appear, and gives you a shot at Petra if you want to go that way.

16. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

I'd settle where you are tbh, and go tradition and Stonehenge. Depends on your settings though of course!

17. stii

stii Prince

Why are people settling in place, isn't it strictly worse than moving onto the amber for extra production?

I think I'd move NE and settle near the flood plains. Amber is a pretty unexciting monopoly so connecting it up quickly doesn't matter much

18. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

It's not strictly worse, it does have some disadvantages.
    • You do lose a turn crossing the river
    • You lose immediate access to the 2 food 1 hammer forest
    • You have fewer river farms in range of your capital
    • You are farther from the ivory luxury
    • You lose a quarry if you want that pantheon.

IMO it is overall worse than settling on the amber though.

19. stii

stii Prince

Yeah I missed there is a river there.

JamesNinelives and CrazyG like this.