[TOT] How structure RP choice in a scenario?

Konig15

Warlord
Messing around with the Roman Britain scenario while listening to stuff on Youtube, and this has led me to the Iceni revolt. And if you are role playing as the Romans, the revolt of Boudica is entirely preventable, so the question becomes as a scenario designer, how do you make a multiple resolution "quest"

There are basically three options
1. Do as Nero says and "confiscate" the property of the Iceni, leading the rebellion
2. Defy the Emperor, if only by delays
3. Or possibly pay the equivalent or convince Nero to back off (and he's not totaly flipped his wig at this point)

So you need both a benefit and a penalty for all options

the Historical route is pretty clear

1. Historical
Benefit: Venta Iceni (capital of the Iceni) is well worth taking, maybe offering a unit in the process
Drawback: Boudica's Revenge

2. Defy the Emperor
Benefit: No rebellion, maybe the Iceni offer tribal support
Drawback: I don't think the Emperor sending in invasion units is an appropriate response, given you are the Roman Governorship.
Maybe creating a unit that has very low attack value to spawn right by your first city and it will fail but when it does, it causes an event that takes, I dunno 500-1000 gold from you every turn making you destitute. This could be used for other events representing drains on the provinces coffers

3. The diplomatic route
Benefit: stops the punishment of #2, probably by keeping it's spawn location an ocean tile.
Drawback: the best way to do this is with a tech, which takes up a space on the tech tree, and there are only so many techs you have, and you have to plan to get the tech option carefully and while merchants can control the rate of advancement, it's kinda dicey.

Advice on the options to create and implement incentive structures is most welcome.

You can add dialog boxes with Lua easily enough to implement whatever consequences you'd like for various decisions. For example, in Cold War, players have the option to sign SALT, or to establish military bases in Diego Garcia or Cuba.

Really it's only limited by your imagination, but it's simple enough to implement full blown "choose your own adventure" decisions.

In my upcoming WW2 scenario, the Germans have the option of sending the Afrika Korps to help Italy, or to use the tanks in Russia instead. Though they'd make a big difference in the east, you don't get Rommel unless you send them to Afrika. Likewise, Germany can choose to support the Iraqi Coup fully, partially, or not at all, etc.

You can add dialog boxes with Lua easily enough to implement whatever consequences you'd like for various decisions. For example, in Cold War, players have the option to sign SALT, or to establish military bases in Diego Garcia or Cuba.

Really it's only limited by your imagination, but it's simple enough to implement full blown "choose your own adventure" decisions.

In my upcoming WW2 scenario, the Germans have the option of sending the Afrika Korps to help Italy, or to use the tanks in Russia instead. Though they'd make a big difference in the east, you don't get Rommel unless you send them to Afrika. Likewise, Germany can choose to support the Iraqi Coup fully, partially, or not at all, etc.

Welp with you and the Professor, I gotta learn Lua, end of story.

As to the scenarios, is this Cold War scenario available in single player? Cause....I tried OTR playing both sides, and it was not fun. My GOd the work you did on it is AMAZING....but it's not single player.

And...can I ask you about this delicious-sounding WW2 ,mod? Or be directed to it's thread? And I guees before I proceed, does it have a single player version, and what is the start year?

And...can I ask you about this delicious-sounding WW2 ,mod? Or be directed to it's thread? And I guees before I proceed, does it have a single player version, and what is the start year?

There's no thread for it as of yet. I just keep dropping little morsels back and forth but it's quite well-advanced in development.

Top Bottom