How the population system works

Theoden

Deity
GOTM Staff
Introduction:
In civ I am what most would call a perfectionists player. I like to know every single game mechanic and make better decisions through that knowledge. Therefore I decided to make a few tests to figure out the population system, and I might as well share the knowledge I acquired through the results.

Population and what it can be used to:
Each city has a population that is dependant on the size of the city. The number is found in the top middle of the screen. Population has no direct usefulness except for two things. It gives you a rank in the F11 screen based on your population. This can be used as a comparison to the growth power of other civs, and thus it can provide information. The other most important use is for domination, which requires 66% land and 66% population, and for UN candidate which can be achieved with 25% of worlds population. This is where the undeveloped large empire may find an annoying obstacle going against its domination plans, or the small metropolis empire may find it's way to a UN candidate.
edit: further studying shows that citizens, not population, is counted for domination victory and UN candidate. Therefore, population is only used to determine the number on the histograph screen.

How a city’s population is calculated:
The population of a city is made up of two things:

City size
A city has a base population of 0 at the size of 0 (if it was possible, but I explain it this way, as it will be more logical). In going to size 1 the city’s population increases by 10000. Upon going to size 2 it increases by 20000, reaching size 3 increases by 30000 etc. This continues with the increase of the population upon growing, increasing by 10000 per citizen. To make it mathematical the formulae for citizens gained at growth would be:
(Number of citizens after growth has occurred) * 10000

A quick integration and we have the number of citizens formulae:
5000*population^2 + 5000*population

A table is included later to clarify it.

Amount of food in the food box
A city gains 1000 population for each food in the food box. When the city grows and the food box is emptied, this population is lost, but is gained back with interest as the new citizen will add more population than the food box is worth. Since the food box’s size increases as the town grows to city followed by metropolis, the maximum possible population gained this way increases.

Charts and Tables:
The total amount of population a city of a certain size will have (assuming empty food box unless otherwise noted.

Size 1: 10000
Size 2: 30000
Size 3: 60000
Size 4: 100000
Size 5: 150000
Size 6: 210000
Size 6 with food box full (highest possible for a town): 230000
Size 7: 280000
Size 8: 360000
Size 9: 450000
Size 10: 550000
Size 11: 660000
Size 12: 780000
Size 12 with food box full (highest possible for a city): 820000
Size 13: 910000
Size 14: 1050000
Size 15: 1200000
Size 16: 1360000
Size 17: 1530000
Size 18: 1710000
Size 19: 1900000
Size 20: 2100000

This lists a comparison of different city sizes in terms of population to give an idea of how metropolises can give you huge boosts to population.

6 size one cities equals 1 size three city
3.5 size three cities equals 1 size six city
3.5 size six cities equals 1 size twelve city
3 size twelve cities equals 1 size twenty city

That’s all there is about population, it’s really that simple. I’m sure some of the more experienced players will this info useful somehow. Just remember that population really only matters for domination victories.

Theoden

I had completely forgotten that the UN could be affected too. However, I tested it and it seems that UN election counts citizens, not population, as you suggested.
Hopefully this isn't the case for domination too (though I strongly suspect it) or there will be no use for population at all.

Domination counts citizens, not population, so population is just a useless extra, just like in all previous versions of civ.
I did not know that population was bigger with box full at size 6 and 12 without an actual pop increase.
Thats weird.

So the population is an addition fractal derivation. This is interesting

Theoden said:
Introduction:
The other most important use is for domination, which requires 66% land and 66% population.

In my experience, once you have 66% land, you will get at least 66% of population no matter what. I have never run into a game where I have 66% of land, but not enough population to trigger the domination win.

Moonsinger said:
In my experience, once you have 66% land, you will get at least 66% of population no matter what. I have never run into a game where I have 66% of land, but not enough population to trigger the domination win.
I have never run into the problem either. However, if, as I thought before, the game counted population, not citizens, then there would be a possibility of an ICS empire having 67% land but not population due to an enemy metropolis nation. But besides that, the pop requirement for domination might mostly be relevant in scenarios with rather special starts.

However, it seems that population really has no effect on the gameplay and is only a funny statistic like family size etc, and that citizens is always counted for UN/domination matters. This is very dissapointing IMHO, as I believe it just gives less power to the builders and more to the warmongers. Well, at least it was interesting to figure the population system.

Theoden said:
However, it seems that population really has no effect on the gameplay and is only a funny statistic like family size etc, and that citizens is always counted for UN/domination matters. This is very dissapointing IMHO, as I believe it just gives less power to the builders and more to the warmongers. Well, at least it was interesting to figure the population system.

It seems to be so. However, it's still very good findings!:goodjob: I probably will never figure out that "6 size one cities equals 1 size three city", etc. Those are nice to know. Thanks!:)

Moonsinger said:

The way you play Moonsinger may indeed make this seem impossible, but it has certainly happened to me. If the AI had built metros I might have been scuppered altogether, but they didn't :) .

Perhaps you could manipulate this to avoid the domination limit in a HOF game.

Offa said:
The way you play Moonsinger may indeed make this seem impossible, but it has certainly happened to me. If the AI had built metros I might have been scuppered altogether, but they didn't :) .

Perhaps you could manipulate this to avoid the domination limit in a HOF game.

Since population (especially happy people) = score, it would be bad to lower your pop to avoid the domination limit.;)

well, you have to limit either territory or population. Offa certainly has a point there. Maybe you can get more score by territory than by population, depending on the game situation.
I am however not interested in score, only in early victory, the score will come automatically and if i do fail to win a gotm because a later victory got a better score, i blame the score system :)
(of course i will pay some little attention to it, but not much at all)

Top Bottom