How to decide a Justice can't rule on a case

ravensfire said:
donsig,

Recusal poll would be best handled as an update to the Judicial Procedures for the near future, and should probably be added as a CoL amendment. Adding it as a JP is much, much faster.
I agree with both of these ideas.

As a Recusal poll would be posted (generally) as one citizen asking a question about another in the same format as a confirmation poll, it should probably be private.
Well, you could make the recusal poll an official act of the President or Censor. Prompted by any citizen's post, that official would post the poll asking the populace if the issue at hand (which is temporarily suspended by the citizen's post) affected the Office of (the appropriate Justice). Citizens would vote yes or no according to the functions of an Office, rather than the gain or loss of another person. The results could still reflect 'sides', but it would be an OFFICIAL poll, prompted by a citizen(s), focusing on the duties of an Office, not the trustworthiness of a person. This would basically allow for your final paragraph....

Now, before you start in on it, it's quite different from your poll, as you well know. You were asking, AS AN OFFICIAL, what to do - that should NEVER meet criteria for a private poll,. Splitting hairs? It's close, but two different animals.

-- Ravensfire

I propose the following method:

Upon election, all judges will be submitted to a 3 hour "mental stability" exam. This will include a track of Donsig, Chieftess, Rik_Meleet, Daveshack, and myself singing YMCA. They will also be subject to several literary readings and a science reasoning test.

After this, the judges will be forced to do a physical exam. This physical exam will test how long the judges are capable of sitting on there butt without it turning numb. It will also test the judges typing capabilities. Efficiency of caffiene access will also be tested.

The judges must also complete one final exam. Each judge will be blind-folded and gagged. They will be taken to one known only as the "all-father." This tainted spirit, the ruler of the land that may not be named, will use the judge for his own purposes. First, we will hear the screaming, then blood will begin to flow from your eyes. Your brain will slowly crumble under the weight of your own fear. With the world helpless, the all-father will walk through the gateway and enter this world with the judge in tow. The all-father, upon seeing the monotonous state of this world, will demand some entertainment from the judge. In a rush of dismay, the judge will recommend the democracy game to the all-father. Tears of scalding tar will flow from the eyes of the all-father, as he looks upon this new horror. He will shiver in the aura of pure evil, begging to be spared. His fate is sealed, however, and a thousand bloody horsemen, with faces like that of bloated hangmen will ride in to take him away. Upon capture, he will let out a scream so ghastly, that every creature of evil will be drawn to it's source. Lumbering behemoths of unspeakable terror will come and upon seeing the beauty of this game, they will fall to their knees in worship. Thus, our dark world will grow.

Judges must also show the following attributes:

• Make smoothies quickly... they've gotta be tasty ones too!
  • Must have more fungas growing in their yard then on their body.
  • An IQ higher than the average room temperature.
  • Must know the differance between "nobody" and "Nobody."
  • Must know who doesn't mind spots on there apples.. and wishes to be left the birds and bees.
  • Knows when to stop and.. "hey, what's that sound?"
  • The ability to make pop culture references quickly.
  • Must understand that the "Democracy Game Judiciary" is just a longer way of saying "Rave party."
  • Must know that "abstain" isn't a person.

In summary... I think just not voting for them the next election will work fine. Give me a break.. it was a hell of alot more interesting saying ALL of that, then just saying "I think just not voting for them next election will work fine."

:rotfl:

Nice one!

You've also given me a great idea for a easter egg for the game. The in-game year gets to (whenever it was) and a "tribal village" appears in the player's territory, and when you pop it you get a medly of village people songs. :lol:

donsig said:
It seems to me then that the Censor has to also have procedures in place so citizens and justices know how handle recusal questions. I agree the procedure route is quickest and I'll do my part to get them added.

Would you do me a favor in the mean time? Would you post a poll as a citizen that replicates my poll (i.e., private and four days long) with the same question, so I can have something legal and binding to go on?

I'll have something ready for when the procedures get updated.

In the meantime, that sounds like an acceptable compromise. I do ask that you have a ruling ready for that JR, so that if the citizens request you to stay, you'll be ready to rule on the issue and conclude the JR.

Poll posted here

-- Ravensfire

Though I must say i dislike not forcing a judge to do what is right, given from experience, I find that dragging things out even longer with worrying about forcing the judge to do certain things would have been an even bigger waste of time. Frankly, I like what we did, the judge can do what they feel is right, and, if people care enough, someone can push back, and the people can decide, but in the end it was still voluntary.

Top Bottom