How to make a simple civ name change?

Mortac

Warlord
EDIT: NEVERMIND! I solved the issue myself but can't delete the thread. I had a subfolder with backups of various XML-files inside the game folder and apparently the game read those XML-files as well which caused the problem. So apparently, don't keep backups of XML-files inside the game folder!

--------------

I'm not looking to modify any civ's traits or units or such because I like playing the game as it was meant to be played, however, I'd like to rename my civ and leader.

I only seem to find a 5 year old post stating that you go to this folder:

Base > Assets > Text > en_US

And then find these three files:

Leaders_Text.xml
Types_Text.xml
Civilizations_Text.xml

I've done that and all I did was change:

<Row Tag="LOC_CIVILIZATION_GERMANY_DESCRIPTION">
<Text>My custom name here</Text>
</Row>

<Row Tag="LOC_LEADER_BARBAROSSA_NAME">
</Row>

<Row Tag="LOC_CIVILIZATION_GERMANY_NAME">
</Row>

From each xml-file respectively. But when I start the game up and go to pick my leader, a bunch of civs just display ################# as their name, and the civ description texts are messed up and contain messages such as "character mismatch" or something like that.

I don't know why this is happening since all I did was to change these text strings. I've double-checked that I didn't accidentally add or remove anything.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here or why this simple change won't work. Do I need to make a mod out of this for it to work or am I missing something else? But I don't even know how to make a mod out of it in that case since I have the game on Epic and not on Steam and there doesn't seem to be any ModBuddy there.

Help?

Last edited:
Top Bottom