Huxley's Civ 4 Expanded ideas

Huxley Hobbes

Anarcho-capitalist
First of all, I'm a pretty hardcore player, but I'm not a particularly brilliant one! I've been playing Civ for a long time but I tend not to challenge myself greatly in games. Also, I'm far from an expert on many matters of Civ 4, as I've not had the chance to play it as much as I would like.

Nevertheless, I've been buzzing with ideas and I have compiled a list of possibilities that would, I think, make the Civ 4 experience much larger and more intricate. I admit now and fully that this is not for everyone; it would make some significant changes and additions, most notably a series of future eras. Many people feel that Civ should be about history up to this point, and even things like SDI and Civ 3's Cure for Cancer are pushing it. Fair enough, I say! Just so long as everyone is having fun, and I think I would have more fun if my ideas were worked in somehow.

Oh, and I have little coding knowhow, so many of my ideas might be entirely unworkable! =D Because of this, I'm going to say that anyone may take any aspect they like the look of here and do whatever the like with it. If y'all want to form a team to implement a fair chunk of my ideas, that's great too, but just take what you like, if anything. All I ask is that you give credit where it is due. :)

Well, I've tabulated my ideas in my notepad, so I suppose I'll just go through that in order...

Eliminate the 'Time' victory condition.

Civ does not have to be uber-realistic, but the fact of the matter is that in 45 year's time, when we're right in the middle of a new Cold War between the US and China, and when there's some series wars going on in the Middle East, we're not going to suddenly stop and say 'Oh, Canada won!' I always turn the time condition of when I can, or extend it as much as possible, because I'd rather play a game which results in a stalemate than have it end because of that.

Rethinking of the year/turn measurement system.

My answer is to have the discovery of the Calendar as Year 0, and for it to advance from there in a similar manner to the way it does now. Perhaps not having 40 year leaps to begin with, however. Of course, it could be possible to simply have each turn equal 1 year after the discovery of calendar, because we wouldn't be working on the prior model of 2050 being the end date, if my above suggestion is implemented.

Replace the Space Race victory with something else.

Largely this is a necessity because the expanded tech tree would last long past the Space Race. An idea I had last night which appeals to me greatly is for a civ to be able to construct an alternate dimension into which they can go, being the only civ there, and 'winning' because they made not only a massive technological achievement but because they are now essentially gods. An easier one would be a Doomsday Device, which would instantly bring the world under the builder's control.

'High' balancing, SMAC-style.

Civ 4 is leagues ahead of 3 in this matter, but I really loved the way SMAC allowed you to become truly powerful. With the inclusion of future techs, this would be possible here as well, as tiles provide large benefits when improved properly, for example, and buildsings continue to confer XP/health/research bonuses, and so forth.

More Civics/New category.

The new category would be something like 'Miscellaneous', and if possible would allow some civics to be toggled on and off rather than only one being allowed at a time. It's perfectly possible, for example, for a Caste System and Slavery/Serfdom to work alongside one another. Post #2 for new Civic ideas in more detail.

A few more techs in the current tree.

Largely, I like it as it is. But I would add the occasional extra tech, mostly of a social/psychological bent. Only a handful, probably not more than half a dozen.

Future Eras.

This would be, if you will, the meat 'n' potatoes of the Expanded Civ 4. It would take the game right through from the typical start position to a distant future, in the style of SMAC or GalCiv. It forms the basis for a number of my other ideas, too. Please see post #3 for a more detailed look at some potential new techs.

Robots and cloning make a big change to forces.

This is a tricky one. I want robotic forces, androids and the like, as well as clones, to make a significant change to how war is waged. However, I can't think of a way of doing so without making pre-robotics units more difficult to produce, and I don't want to make warmongering only a post-2100 pastime. If possible, perhaps have a cumulatively rising cost of maintaining military units? Eg, the 10th to 14th units cost 1gpt, whilst the 15th to 19th cost 2gpt, and so on? A more extreme idea is for each military unit built to reduce the city's population by 1 point, and eliminating this for robot/cloned units. It would mean cities needed population as well as production to create an army, and would prevent anything too large being built too quickly. On the other hand, it would sorely cripple a civ who didn't have enough units to begin with, because they'd not be able to produce enough units for a war effort before they got wiped out. This needs more thought, but is something I'm adamant should be included in some way.

Geniuses can give random techs.

A 1 in lots and lots (10000) per turn chance of a civ recieving a free tech from those currently available. Just for a random chance event, I think it'd add a little spice and could help you out now and then.

More negative happiness/health effects from buildings.

This would be required in order to balance it out in the future eras. After all, by the time the game comes to a close normally your core cities are usually free from significant unrest and unhealthiness. (At least they are with me, but I'm a building-oriented player.) But this requires a lot more thought and investigation before anything concrete could be done.

More tile improvements.

Mainly for the future eras. Better farms and the like. Also, ideally the graphics would end up making it look like the tiles around a city are part of the city, directly joined, if the right improvements are built. Also, some more improvements which act like Cottage -> Town chains do. For example: Furnace -> Factory -> Industrial Plant -> Industrial Sector, offering increasing production bonuses. This would allow cities to become more powerful by the late game, which works well as the future is generally accepted to be (And in my ideas here, will be) a place where production = up.

Unit specific training camps.

This is an interesting one. I was thinking, what about building a training camp? You could, for example, find some place out in the hills and mountains, and plunk a camp down there. Every, say, 15 turns, it would jam out a Rifleman. I don't know. I certainly don't know how to make the AI use it. I would say, don't let them be built within city boundaries, and make them fairly expensive so you can only have one or two at a time. I dunno. The more I think about it the less spiffy the idea seems, but I still kinda like it for some reason.

More religions, and optional caps on their numbers.

I'd say maybe have a total of 12 possible religions. More importantly, set it up so that it's possible for a player to say that no more than 'X' number can be in a game at once - too often have I had 4 or 5 civ games with 7 religions, and it just doesn't feel right. This would allow both larger and smaller religious blocs to form.

Secessions.

If there are fewer civs remaining than the number you started with, it would be cool if individual cities could desire indepedance. This would be best if they were barbarian cities, or previously foreign ones. It should of course be preventable with a little work, but I think it's a good medium between nothing at all and all-out civil wars.

Empire Earth-style planet/space maps.

The problem is it is kinda strange to see a barracks, or in Civ 4's case a city, sitting on a tile next to a space tile. On the other hand, it would allow you to create maps where there were worlds with continents, and then space between the worlds, allowing for both normal gameplay and future-era stuff as well.

Well, that's what I have right now. I'm also actually out of time, so I'll just put a couple of placeholders into the next two posts and then update with more ideas later. Feel free to debate and insult as you please, most of the ideas are probably far more atrocious than I am aware! :D

Some quick civic ideas, 'cause I've been caught short once again and I'm in a hurry :p

Technocratism - Ruled by the technical elite/best educated
Isolationism - Closed borders, no foreign trade
Open borders - Free immigration, free trade
True Democracy - Everyone is able to discuss vote on any government issue
Youth Service - Compulsory military service once school's over
Elected Autocracy - An elected official, serving a set term, has complete power (Gets things done)
Sapient Emancipation - All sapient beings are accorded equal rights
Meritocracy - People are rewarded and employed based on their merits, not race, gender, etc.
Random Governance - A proportionate section of the populace is randomly selected to govern for a term
Computer Leadership - The decision making process is handed over to a logic-based computer program
Welfare - The poor and unfortunate are supported by other members of society
'Nannyism' - The state makes sure that nobody can be physically or emotionally hurt
Unorganized religion - The state disbands all official religious organizations and passes laws against them; religion becomes a private, personal affair

Awright, tech time. At least; some techs!

I'll just note the techs themselves for the future eras, I've got a vague tree idea but not concrete enough for me to want to say X leads to Y just yet. In the earlier ages my new tech ideas are better-founded, so I will say where they fit in.

QUERY! Is it possible for a tech to give a blanket effect to all military units? Let us say, for example, that you discover a medical tech, and you want all units to automatically get +5% healing from it. Would this be doable? I suspect it might require the creation of a promotion which then gets auto-assigned, but I hope it's doable one way or another because several of my ideas depend on it.

Ancient Era
Textiles. Reveals Wool luxury resource, leads into Skinning.
Skinning. Reveals Fur luxury resource, leads into Leatherworking.
Leatherworking. Gives all Ancient era units a +5% combat bonus.

Classical Era
Specialization. Requires either Monarchy or Iron Working. +5% Research and production in all your cities, leads into Apprenticeship.
Apprenticeship. Allows you to build the Smithy building for every two forges you have. An additional -1 health, and an additional 20% build speed for military units, leads into Guilds.

Medieval Era
Coming soon

Renaissance Era
Coming soon

Industrial Era
Coming soon

Modern Era
Coming soon

A few quick comments:

Eliminate the 'Time' victory condition.
I agree. Try taking at look at Call to Power. This game goes on for an extra thousand years.

I disagree. After the calendar was invented we would still refer to pre-calendar years. Also, many civilizations based their calendar year on some event in the distant past. Example: The dispute over whether JC was born in year 0 or year 1 or even year 14.
Perhaps, the year could be hidden until you have calendar, and then be visible.

Future Eras.
a few ideas for names/themes:
(the era after the modern age): "Fusion Age" or "Space Age" or "Information Age"
(era after that, when we start to colonize the stars): "Star Age" or "Interstellar Age" or "Diaspora" or "The Expansion"
(era after that, when we run into aliens (assuming we haven't already)): "War of the Worlds" (sorry, couldn't resist) or "First Contact" or almost anything from scifi :)

I like the increasing cost notion. Perhaps some civics could change the period of cost increase. i.e. if you have a "Clone Army" Military Civic, the period might be really really high.

1:10000 is way too small, maybe 1:100. Other than that, it's a good idea, but I think it's redundant, since Great People can be spent to learn techs.

More tile improvements.
Absolutely. This is my biggest complaint against Civ 4.
There are three solutions:
1) More improvements (Farms, Advanced Farms, Corporate Farms, Hydroponic Farms, etc)
2) More + bonuses from techs, wonders, buildings, and civics.
3) cottage style auto upgrades, with a technological minimum for upgrades

A couple ideas here:
1) When a city builds a unit, it spawns at the nearest appropriate base. i.e. Land units will spawn at the nearest fort, or if you have a group specific training camp (i.e. Armor Range for armor units) they can get a free upgrade as well. Also, this would require another needed change: AIRBASES :)
2)Having a training camp within the cultural radius (not city radius) of a city gives a promotion to any units built there

So many comments here, I'll try to limit them
1) If your Religious civic is Theocracy, or some appropriate combination of other civics, your state religion should allow you to build certain special units (i.e. Christian Crusaders, etc)
2) It should be possible for a missionary to persecute a rival religion, and actually REMOVE that religion FROM a city. Also, Missionaries should be able to move across borders w/out open border agreements

Secessions.
Check out Europa Universalis (1 or 2) or Victoria...hell, any game made by the makers of that series of games. V E R Y political

Disagree. But since the game is fully 3d, you could just add a second planet (with some code work of course)

I'll reply to your comments. If any are gone, I agree entirely and have nothing further to add =D

Lord Cerberus said:
A few quick comments:

I disagree. After the calendar was invented we would still refer to pre-calendar years. Also, many civilizations based their calendar year on some event in the distant past. Example: The dispute over whether JC was born in year 0 or year 1 or even year 14.
Perhaps, the year could be hidden until you have calendar, and then be visible.

I like the idea in the last line. Your points are fair, and in truth I think the system I propose would make things a little complicated. Moreover, it'd be hard for people to compare things - "I invented the tank in the year 1700" doesn't mean anything if the discovery of the calender was greatly delayed.

Lord Cerberus said:
Future Eras.
a few ideas for names/themes:
(the era after the modern age): "Fusion Age" or "Space Age" or "Information Age"
(era after that, when we start to colonize the stars): "Star Age" or "Interstellar Age" or "Diaspora" or "The Expansion"
(era after that, when we run into aliens (assuming we haven't already)): "War of the Worlds" (sorry, couldn't resist) or "First Contact" or almost anything from scifi :)

I was thinking the era after Modern would be Information, then the Fusion, then onto more spacey things. Possibly; Modern -> Info -> Fusion -> Solar -> Extrasolar -> Elysium

Lord Cerberus said:
I like the increasing cost notion. Perhaps some civics could change the period of cost increase. i.e. if you have a "Clone Army" Military Civic, the period might be really really high.

Ah, excellent! It hadn't occurred to me to blend this idea with civics, but having civics might be a much easier way around the matter, without losing much malleability.

Lord Cerberus said:
1:10000 is way too small, maybe 1:100. Other than that, it's a good idea, but I think it's redundant, since Great People can be spent to learn techs.

I might have been unclear in what I meant when I wrote that. I didn't mean that the chance was 1 in 10000 that a tech would be discovered, but rather that that was the chance for each individual civ. With 10 civs, that would make it occur once per 1000 turns, on a mathematical average. You're right, that's too high. Perhaps 3000 would be better, that would mean you'd almost certainly see one per game, maybe two, maybe none, but make it something rare enough to be cause for celebration without being so rare as to be a pointless addition because nobody sees it.

Lord Cerberus said:
More tile improvements.
Absolutely. This is my biggest complaint against Civ 4.
There are three solutions:
1) More improvements (Farms, Advanced Farms, Corporate Farms, Hydroponic Farms, etc)
2) More + bonuses from techs, wonders, buildings, and civics.
3) cottage style auto upgrades, with a technological minimum for upgrades

I think combining 1 and 3 would be the best solution, with 2 being more a complementary factor for certain improvements. The second part of point 3, incidentally, is excellent.

Lord Cerberus said:
A couple ideas here:
1) When a city builds a unit, it spawns at the nearest appropriate base. i.e. Land units will spawn at the nearest fort, or if you have a group specific training camp (i.e. Armor Range for armor units) they can get a free upgrade as well. Also, this would require another needed change: AIRBASES :)
2)Having a training camp within the cultural radius (not city radius) of a city gives a promotion to any units built there

Hmmm, perhaps having standard forts which one can upgrade to give, for example, a 2XP bonus? It does seem reasonable to think that military units would be created at military bases rather than in a city, especially later in the game... but #2 works well as well, removing many complications whilst still making them something worth considernig.

Lord Cerberus said:
So many comments here, I'll try to limit them
1) If your Religious civic is Theocracy, or some appropriate combination of other civics, your state religion should allow you to build certain special units (i.e. Christian Crusaders, etc)
2) It should be possible for a missionary to persecute a rival religion, and actually REMOVE that religion FROM a city. Also, Missionaries should be able to move across borders w/out open border agreements

1) Thank you! I completely forgot that I had meant to mention religion-specific units. I know that's an idea flying around quite a bit, but I definately would like to see it.

Lord Cerberus said:
Secessions.
Check out Europa Universalis (1 or 2) or Victoria...hell, any game made by the makers of that series of games. V E R Y political

I've been meaning to check those out for awhile now, but I've not been able to track any down just yet. Still, thanks for the reminder =)

Lord Cerberus said:
Disagree. But since the game is fully 3d, you could just add a second planet (with some code work of course)

D'oh! :lol: That didn't even occur to me. That'd be far better, would allow for more deviation between the worlds, would allow plenty of stuff. Brilliant!

These seems to be good suggestions. I can do one with the space wars mod. But I tought about a few more:

Longer games, to allow every other suggestions

Better international organisations, to allow more than one (UN). There should be a posibility to have some that would encourage evironmentalism, free speech, ...

Modular unit creation: I already proposed it, but it would be good. This means that we can create unit designs with our own preferences

Some civic restrictions: have you ever seen a country where slaves can vote? Well in civ 4 it is possible to combine slavery and universal suffrage.

Civics chosen by "popular demand": in civ 4, civics are chosen by the leader. It should not be like that because in the real life, social conditions influence the government. So civs without any educations should not be able to choose universal suffrage (or something like that).

I have more suggestions, but I have to go now so I will post them later.

A few ideas on bonus accorded...most of them are lame...

-50% cost to build library, university, lab, etc
+10% science

Isolationism - Closed borders, no foreign trade
no contact with neighbors (like playing with the "ALL WAR" option - but w/out the war)
+1 internal trade route

Open borders - Free immigration, free trade
automatic open border with neighbors
+3 trade routes / city

+25% war unhappiness
+1 free specialist

-10% military unit cost
+free units (or increased cost period)

Elected Autocracy - An elected official, serving a set term, has complete power (Gets things done)
+25% unhappiness (?)
+10% production
+10% commerce
+10% science

Sapient Emancipation - All sapient beings are accorded equal rights
+25% war unhappiness
+ production, + food, + commerce from forest and (especially) jungle tiles

Meritocracy - People are rewarded and employed based on their merits, not race, gender, etc.
+10% production
+10% science
+2 experience for new units
-10% commerce (costs more to maintain this "unnatural" state of affairs)

Random Governance - A proportionate section of the populace is randomly selected to govern for a term

Computer Leadership - The decision making process is handed over to a logic-based computer program
+50% unhappiness
+10% production
+25% science

Welfare - The poor and unfortunate are supported by other members of society
-20% commerce
+3 health

'Nannyism' - The state makes sure that nobody can be physically or emotionally hurt
units do not gain experience
+6 health

Unorganized religion - The state disbands all official religious organizations and passes laws against them; religion becomes a private, personal affair
no missionaries
no religion spread
+20% commerce (all the gold that churches keep is now usable)

probably too many cons here, but I like to balance things ;p

I love this mod idea.

I'm not the best around, but I'd be glad to start helping out this project.

I've been thinking about creating buildings similar to the UN in other time periods.

For example: Iriquois(forgive my spelling, I mean no offense) Confederecy.

It was never exceptionally large, but in the stone age(and again I mean no offense, it's simply that the Natives never really could be placed in the European eras) it would be interesting to have a group that could make decisions. I wish I could limit them though, so that diplomatic victory and such were not possible and that only contacted civs would be touchable.

Hey, in the future, why not have: Intergalatic Confederecy or something of the nature.

Crossbowman said:
Modular unit creation: I already proposed it, but it would be good. This means that we can create unit designs with our own preferences
Vehicle type units get special technology limited "promotions"
For example, destroyers could get an AEGIS promotion that gives them a bonus against aircraft, or fighters get an External Fuel Tank promotion that increases range.

Crossbowman said:
Some civic restrictions: have you ever seen a country where slaves can vote? Well in civ 4 it is possible to combine slavery and universal suffrage.
I hadn't thought of that...but you're right

Crossbowman said:
Civics chosen by "popular demand": in civ 4, civics are chosen by the leader. It should not be like that because in the real life, social conditions influence the government. So civs without any educations should not be able to choose universal suffrage (or something like that).
Idea (based on idea I got from "Victoria")
Each nation (not leader) has a list of all the civics in each category in order of preference. When a civic becomes available, that nation "wants" that civic, and eventually, they WILL get it... There are several ways to do this, but here is what I would do. First, the turn after a preferred civic becomes available add a +1 unhappiness ("We want [civic].") to each city. After 10 turns, bump it up to +2 then to +3 after 20 turns. Next, have an advisor keep popping up, recommending such and such civic. Finally, if the leader is being obstructionist, Have military units start rebelling, and finally, it could trigger a civil war. Also, if you have a border with a country that has more "preferred" civics than you do, it will start making cultural inroads against your border cities, possibly causing cultural flipping.

I actually don't like that civic by the people idea. It seems like it would just take away the fun from the game. I'm fine with a happiness modifier of -1 or two for it, but nothing like -20. It's not a historical game.

However, I definately want seperate UN type buildings.

I definately would like to help this mod out.

TheFourGuardian said:
I actually don't like that civic by the people idea. It seems like it would just take away the fun from the game. I'm fine with a happiness modifier of -1 or two for it, but nothing like -20. It's not a historical game.

However, I definately want seperate UN type buildings.

I definately would like to help this mod out.

I don't think it would remove the fun of the game if it would be done proprely. There should be a "government stability" value. For example, to keep a high stability with universal suffrage, the civilization need a high education level. Otherwise, the population have a high risk of electing a facist government. And if people lacks of food, there is a risk of communist revolution. That's what I mean by "popular demand".

Eh, it seems to take the game out of the player's hand. You could always make the technology requirements include both and that would be that.

After wiping out a civilization, their influence is gone but they can still operate in a very limited setting and appear from out of nowhere like barbarians.
They are invisible as spy-like units, act like parasites attached to a nation, and take production to rebuild their shattered empire. Their building capacity is limited to use an entirely different set of units that operate on a smaller and cheaper scale compared to established civilizations.
They can build units that are smaller and weaker (ignores highest city defense) to match the regulars:
  • pistoleers to their infantry
  • jeeps with machine gun to tank
  • piece-together helicopter kit to helicopter
  • speedboats to destroyers
Your leader head (with maybe three look-alikes) has to participate in each battle and make your units visible. One leader head has to survive by hiding (fortify) in a tile and disappear like Civ1 barb diplomats.

You can create a new civilization by gaining money from pillaging, destroying units, taking cities, and buying a unused plot with several regular units for expanding.

People still live when they lose their homes.

Crossbowman said:
These seems to be good suggestions. I can do one with the space wars mod. But I tought about a few more:

Thank you for the input, and may I just note that I do not intend to steal any attention or ideas from your Space Wars mod, I think it's a great one with a lot of potential =)

Crossbowman said:
Longer games, to allow every other suggestions

Yup, I agree fully, which is one reason I would like to do away with turn limits.

Crossbowman said:
Better international organisations, to allow more than one (UN). There should be a posibility to have some that would encourage evironmentalism, free speech, ...

I don't know how easily this could be done, but I like the idea a lot. Also, it should be possible to opt out of them, or even to have to petition to join. This could create more in the way of blocs, for example +3 diplo for both being in NATO.

Crossbowman said:

Mmm-hmm, I like the idea as well but it's very far beyond anything I would be able to do, and I don't want to go taking someone else's work for it. Having said as much, if anybody does want to tackle... be my guest! =D

Crossbowman said:

Another one I forgot about! I definately think certain civics should prevent others from being implemented.

Crossbowman said:

Hmmm... I like the idea in principle, but as has been voiced we don't want to take too much power from players. However, an idea occurs to me; What if certain 'better' civics (The ones that are more freedom-oriented, and which seem to often confer the highest bonuses.) were the only ones which had such an effect? Under Vasselage it's not likely much will happen, but under a society of free speech it's very possible that a movement would get momentum. This offers us another option for balancing, and one I think which could make things interesting.

Crossbowman said:
I have more suggestions, but I have to go now so I will post them later.

Sure thing, and many thanks for the input =)

Lord Cerberus - I like your suppositions for civic effects in general, but I'll stick in a couple of my own ideas as well.

-50% cost to build library, university, lab, etc
+10% science
+1 Unhappiness

+25% war unhappiness
+1 free specialist
+1 Happiness
-15% Production

-25% military unit cost
+20% War Weariness

+1 Happiness (It's a 'fair' system, free from bribery)
+25% Maintenance costs

units do not gain experience
+6 health

Best downside ever, far better than my original thought. I must commend you!

TheFourGuardian said:
I love this mod idea.

I'm not the best around, but I'd be glad to start helping out this project.

I've been thinking about creating buildings similar to the UN in other time periods.

For example: Iriquois(forgive my spelling, I mean no offense) Confederecy.

It was never exceptionally large, but in the stone age(and again I mean no offense, it's simply that the Natives never really could be placed in the European eras) it would be interesting to have a group that could make decisions. I wish I could limit them though, so that diplomatic victory and such were not possible and that only contacted civs would be touchable.

Hey, in the future, why not have: Intergalatic Confederecy or something of the nature.

Thank you for your kind words, and also your offer to help! At this point I should note; I'm going to be mercilessly busy for the next two or three days (Going back to England.), so I won't be around to track things and get organized. However, once I get settled and get back, I'll see if we can't get the ball rolling! As mentioned above, I very much like the idea of having various UN-esque organizations in other eras and with other functions. There is certainly room for a lot of expansion in the powers and effects of such a body.

Lord Cerberus said:
Vehicle type units get special technology limited "promotions"
For example, destroyers could get an AEGIS promotion that gives them a bonus against aircraft, or fighters get an External Fuel Tank promotion that increases range.

As I understand it, this is the method to be used until the SDK comes out.

Blazer6 - That's a very interesting idea there. I've often wondered about civs after they get destroyed - perhaps some form of Civ2 style partisan unit, combined with a refugee unit who can found a new city, created if your last city is destroyed, would be a good idea? That way, it would still be possible to wipe a civ out, but they would still get a small chance at escaping to somewhere else.

Blazer6 said:
After wiping out a civilization, their influence is gone but they can still operate in a very limited setting and appear from out of nowhere like barbarians.
They are invisible as spy-like units, act like parasites attached to a nation, and take production to rebuild their shattered empire. Their building capacity is limited to use an entirely different set of units that operate on a smaller and cheaper scale compared to established civilizations.
They can build units that are smaller and weaker (ignores highest city defense) to match the regulars:
  • pistoleers to their infantry
  • jeeps with machine gun to tank
  • piece-together helicopter kit to helicopter
  • speedboats to destroyers
Your leader head (with maybe three look-alikes) has to participate in each battle and make your units visible. One leader head has to survive by hiding (fortify) in a tile and disappear like Civ1 barb diplomats.

You can create a new civilization by gaining money from pillaging, destroying units, taking cities, and buying a unused plot with several regular units for expanding.

People still live when they lose their homes.

Do you mean terrorists? (that we can call "resistance", it depende on who is in the "good side" :p )

Not sure about "terrorists" -- maybe there are some options...

For example:
When the ancient jewish people (my apologies in advance to any jews reading this) were kicked out of Israel, they didn't disappear (as I'm sure everyone knows) They (briefly) took over a small part of Spain, and then for centuries were spread evenly (a process known as a diaspora (pron. "die ass pra") ) over all of Europe, where, in more modern times, they have reacquired (unfortunately for them -- temporarily, again) their ancient homeland -- Israel.
In between, they didn't just sit at home and knit. No, they took over and expanded the banking industry in Europe, and more recently, the movie industry.

I'm not sure how to translate this effect into gameplay however...

OK, it's a very complex idea, don't know if some of you will like.
It'll use some of your ideas.

TRUE REVOLUTIONS AND CIVIL WARS

- Popular demand of civics and popular aproval
Maybe your could add a new button to the interface which would open a screen showing popular aproval, and civs aproval, also civics demand, it would be divided in aristocracy, burghers, clergy, people and maybe political base (can't think of a better name, it would be like the senate in a roman republic), your choose of civics could cause unhappiness in the cities and even a civil war.
Example: While playing as Rome, a player which haves a republican system (representation) decides to change the civics for a dictatorship, even having the aproval of the people and neutrality from burghers, clergy and aristocracy, the senate revolts, triggering a civil war

- Civil Wars, loyalists and separatists
If a rebellion large enought spawns depending on the conditions one of these will spawn.

Civil War - Spawns when there's a lot of unhappiness but it don't follow any of the other critirias, or when a rebellion spawns because of demands, civics change and etc.
Example: In the last example the Romam Empire, under Julius Caesar spawned a civil war, while Rome, northern italy and Gaul are still loyal, a new civ is created which is also called roman empire, the only difference is that the leader of this civ is Pompey, it has the more unhappy and unguarded regions (southern italy, northern africa, greece and etc), both will begin at war and have a large penalty in diplomacy, maybe Caesar attempts to take the republican territories, maybe they could make a peace treat (and a situation like north/south korea would happen) or Pompey could defeat Caesar and take Rome.

Loyalists: Happens in territories with other cultures in great number, like newly conquered cities, spawns a new civ which will automatically give all it's cities to the civ with their culture as soon as they have peace.

Separatist: Happens in unhappy regions with large upkeep (away from the core of the civ) and civs with the culture of a vanished civ, spawns a new civ or the old civ which has been destroyed

Lord Cerberus said:
I'm not sure how to translate this effect into gameplay however...

The only thing I can think of right now is to allow a UN option to grant one city to an eliminated civ, so long as there is at least one popo poijnt of that civ still alive somewhere in the world.

On the downside, whoever loses a city to this is going to go to war to get it back, unless it's under someone else's protection (Kinda like Israel again. O_o). So maybe it'd be full of UN Peacekeepers or something? Or anuyone who attacks within a certain number of turns suffers some penalty or another?

Tabris: The large problem that I see there is that events would be beyond a player's control. Whilst it is true that trying to implement a dictatorship in a democratic country could incite massive rebellion, I don't know that it would work well in gameplay terms, as much as I love the idea of civil wars. Perhaps if the criteria which cause one were easier to avoid, or more accurately were harder to implement, this would be more viable. Or there's always Civ I's loss of the capital :D

However, I do like the ideas of both loyalists and seperatists. However, I think this should be a longer-term concern - during and just after a war I think it reasonable to believe measures will be in place to quell a rebellion in captured territories. Move forwards twenty or thirty years, however, and the situation might well have changed... meaning you have to maintain a military presence, and also build up your culture, in conquered areas.

Will be putting something down on the tech front in the next day or two. Sorry, been way jet lagged :p

Top Bottom