Idea for discussion: Trade only with open borders

as expected, the picture is relatively mixed ... but here's another idea:

what if "closed borders" increased the movement cost in foreign territory? that would mean you can trade only with their border cities (numbers to be fudged accordingly).

i really like this... could there be some function built-in here for the two civs to collaborate on a road, and thus alleviate this movement penalty? the AI rarely if ever builds roads connecting it to other civs (there is no reason to do this currently, so why would it?) but it seems to me there should be value in having a road connected to a neighbour.. this would have to be balanced by the player against the possibility of this neighbour using the road for later attack, maybe

as expected, the picture is relatively mixed ... but here's another idea:

what if "closed borders" increased the movement cost in foreign territory? that would mean you can trade only with their border cities (numbers to be fudged accordingly).

This is a more reasonable idea, though I’d still argue an unnecessary one. I’m all for improving the value of OB but it already exists for trade as a modifier to the trades value...just increase the modifier if you want it to effect trade more...easy peesy.

General Lurker, casual VP player

Aside from gameplay considerations (what happens if you have Civil Service and the other guy doesn't ?), What worries me is that at the moment trading with a lead is a good way to get Science/Culture if behind, so some level of assumptions come from it.

I personally like the idea in principle, but I think, if something like this was to happen, makes more sense to be an unilateral "Denounce"-style action called "Close Trading", which can prevent someone from abusing you but can carry some Diplomatic penalty of some kind.

My 2 cents.

Top Bottom