Idea for public PTBS server

the oob

Retired PTBS host
I haven't played Civ in quite some time, but a long time ago I hosted a few Civ IV PTBS games. I'm now going to throw an idea out there and see if anyone feels like picking it up, I'm happy to provide advice, but someone active in the community would probably need to take charge for this to get anywhere, so I'm not optimistic, but hey words are cheap so here goes.

A cloud computing platform, eg. Amazon Web Services, could be used to create a virtual machine which could act as a PTBS host. Someone would act as the administrator of this machine, and would create a separate login for anyone who wants to host a game. I'm not particularly familiar with PTBS for Civ V, but presumably several instances of PTBS can be run concurrently by giving each instance it's own port. This would also have the advantage of better uptime than a server hosted locally.

Anyone who wants to play in a game hosted on this server would pay a small fee per month to the administrator, which would pay for hosting costs. The more games that are hosted concurrently, the lower this cost would go. The amount of CPU/RAM for the virtual machine can be raised or lowered as required.

Again I've been out of the scene for a while so I don't know if anyone's doing anything like this already, please feel free to inform me.

Top Bottom