Installation Instructions

Click on the big DOWNLOAD green button.

Select the green, highlighted, Latest file.

Hmm, that didn't work. What if you click on the link under it with the same name?

Ah that works.

(this gives you the ASSERT version. You have to click slightly differently to get the non-ASSERT version, or to get other obsolete versions.)

I have installed the dll file and the handicap file in the Mod subdirectory so that it will only run as a mod. I have two questions:

1. I cannot see "Better AI" when I mouse over my score. I know I have to hold Alt down before I mouse over, but I still do not see the magic words. I have loaded the mod because it appears in the upper right hand corner of the main screen. Also, the blue circles change on the initial screen based on what a scout reveals before the city is founded. Is there another way to confirm that the mod is actually operating?

2. Is it possible to run Better AI and the HOF Mod 2.08.003 at the same time. I saw your comment on running other mods in the FAQ but I cannot find the HOF mod in the mod subdirectory, or any other subdirectory, so I don't know if it runs with its own dll. I would appreciate it if you could be specific on how to run these two mods together, if that is possible.

No. Two DLL mods require merging of the C++ codebases, and the HOF mod does not release the source code.

What is the full path to your BetterAI DLL?

The full path is: Warlords\MODS\BetterAI_Warlords_Asserts_07-02-12\BetterAI\Assets\CvGameCoreDLL.dll

Get rid of that BetterAI_Warlords_Asserts_07-02-12

It should be

Warlords\Mods\BetterAI\Assets\CvGameCoreDLL.dll

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Is it possible to use this with the airforce mod? When I hadn't opened the mod, it worked but when I opened the mod it didn't :(

Is it possible to use this with the airforce mod? When I hadn't opened the mod, it worked but when I opened the mod it didn't :(

See here for details.

Does the score breakdown still show === Better AI === ? I've copied the DLL into my custom assets directory for BTS and I don't see the aforementioned label.

yes, but still 0.35. they did not update the label to 0.36.

Hrm. OK, I must be doing something wrong. Here's my full path to the .dll:

C:\Documents and Settings\ds\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets\CvGameCoreDLL.dll

The first page example has "Warlords" instead of "Beyond the Sword"... I made an edumicated guess on that. The .dll is correct, methinks:

ds@plate ~(8597)$ strings CvGameCoreDLL.dll | grep -i better
CBetter BTS AI v0.37

It's just not picking it up for some reason.

@doktorstick: I don't believe DLLs work in CustomAssets anymore. You either need to replace (after backing-up) the DLL in the game's main Assets folder or Install it as a MOD. If you install to the game's Assets folder it'll be in effect for all new games but certain mods/saves (most notably the HoF mod used at CFC for xGOTM games) will detect that change as a possible cheating attempt and won't work.

cannot find any 0.37 for bts...

civ4betterai - Revision 385: /trunk/Better BTS AI:

Better BTS AI sources for 0.36.zip

Sigh.

Still no alt-mouseover score information. I've copied the .dll into C:\Games\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\ as well as the XML and Python assets (from trunk\Better BTS AI\Assets\). I'm not running it as a mod and I have debug mode enabled.

I still don't see the === Better AI === banner. I am pretty sure it is reading the right dll because when I copied it over *before* upgrading to 3.17, the game would crash. After I upgraded to 3.17, it loaded just fine.

Any suggestions on how I can really make sure it is the right dll?
What mechanism (where in code) allows the alt-mouseover to display more information?
Where does it pull the banner text from?

Thanks!

Howdy. Just a quick follow-up. The alt-mouseover isn't working (for me). I tested that it was picking up the correct mod by adding a log message line to CvCityAI() and launched the game. Sure 'nuff, my message was logged.

Hopefully one of the current devs will weigh in on this, but I don't believe the version message is in the score anymore; instead it's in the mouseover text you get when you point the mouse at your flag. Pretty much all mousover text comes from one of two places: CvDLLWidgetData.cpp and CvGameTextMgr.cpp. Browsing the current sources, I don't see anything new in CvGameTextMgr::setScoreHelp or CvDLLWidgetData::parseScoreHelp but there is a Better AI version string in CvDLLWidgetData::parseFlagHelp so that's where I'd look in-game.

Top Bottom