Interception New "Air Defense Only" Concept - Draft 1

The entire air combat needs a rework, but yours makes it too simple and as a result the promotions are even more repetitive than they currently are, being just a mix of flat damage reduction and percent damage reduction.

We should make air defense actually help the defending unit (reduce the damage they take) rather than just being a deterrent to aerial attacks. Make air vs land combat more like normal combat for the planes.

Why are you going bombers as autocracy? Just amass infinite zeroes that all have air repair and just never stop attacking. Heck the interceptions don't even phase zeroes all that much.
That's a good question, I usually go ~70:30 fighter:bomber until I have air-sweeped their defending fighters into oblivion then I basically reverse the ratio with the assumption that bombers with logistics have higher sustained DPS.

But fighters that don't care much for interceptions with air repair is a very good point, they also probably have great sustained DPS due to higher uptime. I will experiment on my next game.

We should make air defense actually help the defending unit (reduce the damage they take) rather than just being a deterrent to aerial attacks. Make air vs land combat more like normal combat for the planes.
This proposal does that, though I used a separate mechanic outside of air defense.

Or are you trying to make air combat work just like land and be a comparison of CS values?

Or are you trying to make air combat work just like land and be a comparison of CS values?
Every other combat works the same except the damage an air unit takes when attacking a land unit. I don't see why it has to be an exception, and it's very confusing.

Air units can just have damage reduction when attacking land instead (being hard to hit), and otherwise just acting like a normal melee combat that targets RCS rather than CS.
Promotions like Air Supremacy already reduce damage taken and increase damage dealt when defending against planes.
The air defense stat can stay if you want to tack flat damage onto planes, but it should be on a select few units with actual anti-air weapons, and the random 0-4 damage should go.

On interception, I think it should work 100% of the time but the Air Supremacy promotion should be weakened a bit, and the Interceptor/Ace Pilot promotions should increase damage dealt/reduce damage taken during interceptions (via attack/defend damage reduction%, but I keep forgetting which side is the attacker in an interception).

Last edited:
After playing a bunch of games into Info era the past few weeks, I'm really in favor of overhauling interception. Air combat is frankly such a pain and really un-intuitive. Air Sweeps are just a really awkward mechanic, the randomness of interception just feels bad and unfair, and the pace of air combat is surprisingly really slow in my experience, even though it is taking place at a point of the game when combat should really be speeding up. I think this idea could solve a lot of the problems I personally have with the current system.

Just a random comment by someone that has been out of the loop here for awhile. I dislike any instance where the mod implements an all or nothing or percentage to succeed mechanic. This is something I've never liked and if the random seed option is ticked it just encourages people to reload and try again. Total War games are loaded with this, and while I do like those games I hate that mechanic. As if I would accept losing an expensive investment, especially if it's extremely devastating... if I can just reload and try again.

This mod doesn't have much of it but the planes do bring that issue up. The Event system has some that I don't like but it's so awesome and immersive I would never disable it.

Top Bottom