Is it possible to unplug & play?

rgros

Chieftain
Hi, i was wondering something is it possible to unplug something? by this i mean the following

example :

to remove manhathan project from the great projects you need to have a
assets/xml/gameinfo/projectinfo.xml , if you remove it on this file it will be removed on the game

but my question would be is it possible to do it in the modular form?

example :

/modules/manhathan/nuke_projectinfo.xml

if i do it that way the game loads all info on the file adding it to the info on the original game files.. :S

is there a way to make it not load the original file and just the buildings on the xml ?

i hope this is not confusing :)

if this is not possible then i would sugest to add a xml tag to the sdk
like <unplug>1</unplug> making this 1 would make the game load the file ignoring the original :)

This would help i think

Yes It is... Easy to do even. Problem is... DONT DO IT!

To unplug and play is easy to do. just recreate the XML without the object you want out and place it in a folder under modules.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM!

when you create a module they don't seem to have a loading pattern in which I understand. I don't know if there is any logic to it. So what might happen is this.

Your module might load at an unopportune time and then another module will load in and expect that object to be in the master set. It will either create an error... or it will simply not allow another module to load.

The WOC is looking into this exact issue already.

The other circumstance we had was this.

The Romanian Civilization was created in a plug and play form.
Someone tried to add a leaderhead to it. The Leaderhead was loaded up first and then the civilization was loaded. Therefore it caused an error on the leaderhead looking for something that didn't exist.

So this is why you shouldn't do it. Certain circumstances are able to change this. First my team is already creating a complete plug and play set for all of firaxis's parts. This will allow you to have complete control in the future.

Hope you are willing to wait for this time or join up with the WOC and lend a hand.

All it is is literally cutting and pasting onto templates.

there is no other way besides this to do what i want to have done...
i'm going to edit the sdk tonight and work arround it

rgros It is already being done. Impaler[Wrg] is the actual author of the BtS modular loading system. He is doing a complete overhaul on it and will rerelease it soon.

Hm, I never had a problem with modular loading.

I have modular leaders, modular civilization-specific buildings (both within subdirectories of the civilization), modular civs and modular ethnic units (outside the civilizations directory) used by the civs and they always load in the correct order.

Maybe I am just lucky, maybe the problem isn't that much of a problem.

Or do I misunderstand you and you don't talk about problems within one mod but across mods when loading several ones (not sure this even is possible, never tried it) ? imo loading several mods is a bad idea to begin with as they will frequently overlap and thereby get into trouble.

Hm, I never had a problem with modular loading.

I have modular leaders, modular civilization-specific buildings (both within subdirectories of the civilization), modular civs and modular ethnic units (outside the civilizations directory) used by the civs and they always load in the correct order.

Maybe I am just lucky, maybe the problem isn't that much of a problem.

Or do I misunderstand you and you don't talk about problems within one mod but across mods when loading several ones (not sure this even is possible, never tried it) ? imo loading several mods is a bad idea to begin with as they will frequently overlap and thereby get into trouble.

The actual occurance is this...
We had a romania Module created..
We also had a leaderhead for romania created.

The Leaderhead module loaded before the Civilization module loaded.

Now if we had the leaderhead within the romania civilization as normal there wouldn't have been a problem

But since they were 2 seperate modules we now have to create a module of romania without the Dracula LH
and one with the Dracula LH in order solve this issue.

Again there should be a complete rewrite of the modular loading system done by Impaler[WRG] that should solve a lot of issues we have been having with the module loading.

The new Modular XML Loading v3 is mostly done....just some compiling errors that Impaler and mrgenie are working through in the WoC.

The details are documented on the WoC forum in the Developer section :)

BTW, there are TONS of XML conflicts if you try to load modules that refer to the same XML files....a real deal breaker....but we are close to solving that hole in BtS as well.

Top Bottom