1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Total War getting more popular than Civ at the moment?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Harun-al Rashid (Arabia), Jul 1, 2018.

?

Whats your opinion?

1. Yes, I think Total War is gaining more popularity

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No, I think Civ is still Popular

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. NEVER!!!!! CIV WILL ALWAYS BE MORE POPULAR THAN TOTAL WAR!!!1

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. I think both are cool..

22 vote(s)
    48.9%
  1. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Be aghast, I can easily cite multiple examples of "x = not x", some which can seriously alter your position if you were to take them on faith.

Though it's also true in CK2/HOI 4 (HOI 4 is broken garbage in general), UI isn't a lost art to gaming but it seems like it is in the strategy genre of gaming.

2. Selten

Selten Chieftain

3. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

From Ars Technica, VI (3.68 million) is currently at roughly a quarter of V (12.7 milllion) in sales, still beating every Total War game in Steam ownership (the closest being Empire at 3.49, then Rome II at 3.35). Beyond Earth sold a respectable 2.6 million copies as of yet, and thus surpassed all other TW games and all Paradox games except Crusader Kings II (3.17 million).

Though I'll note this is all Steam numbers only.

4. newbie2

newbie2 Chieftain

I used to be an avid Total war player. Then they decided to focus solely on dwarfs and dragons and only released Moderator Action: <SNIP> historical content (Empire Divided main's feature was to remind you how plain vanilla Rome 2 was and therefore decided to break all your mod collections)

The camel's back broke when they decided a novel can be the foundation of a so called "historical" game.

To me it was never a competition between th two, I play both for a lot of hours, but yeah, Civ wins in the end because TW basicly forfeited on me

Moderator Action: Inappropriate language removed. leif
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Moderator Action: PDMA removed. leif
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2018
  5. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

What about Cities: Skylines, which is a Paradox game (albeit in a different genre)?

6. Forster

Forster Prince

I find it hard to believe that Hearts of Iron IV and Galactic Civilization III weren't on the list. I went over it 3 times and did not find them listed. I don't think the list is complete.

GenMarshall likes this.
  7. Selten

Selten Chieftain

You didn't look hard enough.

Galactic Civilizations III 476,035
    Hearts of Iron IV 1,352,834

Also it should be noted that this list only includes games that have Steam Achievements. But that should include any games we are interested in.

8. Forster

Forster Prince

Thanks. Like I said, I went over it 3 times. Getting old seems to make things harder to find. :crazyeye:

9. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Ahh, I really didn't know they were Paradox. My bad.

10. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Prince

Yeah, HOI4 was a complete mess when I bought it at launch (never mind the UI), and I haven't touched it since the first patch. CK2, I think the overhauls I had played altered enough formulas that attention was given to correct UI display... or maybe that was wishful thinking, obscured by the passage of time :think:

With any game, sometimes it's a matter of making a function call to retrieve some value, and it's wrong. Those tend to get fixed since the functions are commonly used. In other cases, the return values are correct, but the UI programmer hasn't taken all modifiers or conditions into account, so the displayed value is misleading (i.e. still wrong). I think the latter is more common, and that's often fixable on the modding side, if it doesn't receive attention.

Not updating values based on user changes... I suppose that's a different scenario between real time and turn-based games, but it's still mostly a front end scripting problem. IMO, civ injured itself upon removing the dedicated city screen, with many of these 'click to open' panels being effectively static instances.

Cities Skylines is sitting at over 6 million players. I think it's 35th on the list, highest of any Paradox title, and quite good for anything in the strategy/simulation genre.

11. Patine

Patine Deity

The only nation-building computer strategy games that ever compared in my heart to the Civ series (other than the old Intellivision game Utopia, one of the very first such games EVER, back when I was a kid) are the Ensemble Age of Empires and Age of Mythology games. My experience with the Total War games (and Electronic Arts in general) has led me to outright detest them.