It seems that encampment and its building still not worth building

Well, as long as you are happy missing out the Military Training Eureka, slotting the Veterancy (not a real word) card does give your encampment 30%. Magnus will work with that nicely.

Even the techs in that list are useful, sure you can get a scientist to buff instead but hitting these means the scientists can buff the really hard ones to get.

If you leave it too late you know you never will and then when the need arises its too late. However the top few players have gone off the encampment now claiming about a 5-10 turn slowdown and getting an encampment by conquest is normally good enough.

To be real honest when I am pushing bronze working early that's when I am tempted to build it, and thats not the act of a peaceful person.

.Also building an encampment in the direction of the enemy saves a turn in movement as the units spawn there

One final note... if warring enough you can get your archers to double shot better with a barracks and the +1 housing of a barracks now helps out a little.

Yeah, I didn't notice the impact of the Encampment when I was conquesting because I was picking them up from the AI. It's only now that I'm trying to play both peaceful and vaguely efficient that I've realized not having one causes some inefficiencies.

Thanks for the advice!

The biggest reason to build encampments is for the GGs. The production can be nice, as can the extra exra experience. It's worth pointing out that the heal is arguably more important than the promotion; fresh units from armories will get their first two heals faster which makes them better shock troops.

Encampments are good. It's just that the AI is usually too stupid to present a threat. Putting one in some narrow passes may shut down any attack.

-Defensively extremely powerful. That ranged attack is killer- also very handy if you drop one on a contested border so you can bombard the enemy's defensive forces. You can't march through enemy encampments; this makes them extremely valuable as blocks for incoming enemies. The ability for units inside them to be immune to ranged attacks though- you can often safely keep a siege unit in bombardment position during war.

-Production. All three buildings give 6 production total; better than any mined hill. Useful for flat land cities or if you have some useless tiles around. But the key here is the ability to train and discount on training corps/armies; armies are extremely combat efficient units ( an army of unit X takes 3 to create, but fights as effectively as 4 would) and so saving hammers building them is huge late game. Plus you pick up 2 housing. Not amazing but the extra housing on barracks is nice early.

You should always have ikandas out if you're the zulu, because zulu corps OP.

i build encampements for housing and production bonuses. and internal trade routs get +1prod if target city has an encampement.
edit: does victor give +1 ranged attack to the encampement, too?

In the current game I built an encampment the other side of a narrow body of water from a city. This meant I could build units directly onto the opposing landmass (where my rival was) without having to worry about building a navy / walking a very long route around the jungle / mountain head of the gulf.

OK, that defines 'situational' but it WAS useful in that case, as well as a fallback area to shelter damaged units.

You need the encampment for some wonders like Terracotta Army and Alhambra.

With city walls, the encampment provides a 2nd ranged attack and protection for your units.
When placing multiple cities and encampments close together with overlapping range, you can create death zones for enemy units.

It is negative in Rise and Fall. I only build one for eureka, wonder and general.

When do you tend to build yours? Per the above, I've noticed my progress slowing down in part from missed eurekas when playing peacefully because I haven't been putting an encampment up. If you're playing peaceful or don't happen to take one from the AI, have you identified a timing that works best for you?

When do you tend to build yours? Per the above, I've noticed my progress slowing down in part from missed eurekas when playing peacefully because I haven't been putting an encampment up. If you're playing peaceful or don't happen to take one from the AI, have you identified a timing that works best for you?

Why shall one play peacefully? Playing "peacefully" is ridiculous.

When to build one? When I'm about to research military training.

Why shall one play peacefully? Playing "peacefully" is ridiculous.

When to build one? When I'm about to research military training.

Thanks! So basically just in time to maximize the number of eurekas from it. That makes sense that the eureka boost has a higher return on investment than competing builds which can wait until the encampment is up. I need to get it into my head that the yield on the encampment equals the civic boost, then I'll be able to prioritize it better.

Also, if your question wasn't rhetorical, playing peacefully is for variety, to see how well I can do using just the space I can squeeze out between my neighbours.

Well, as long as you are happy missing out the Military Training Eureka, slotting the Veterancy (not a real word) card does give your encampment 30%. Magnus will work with that nicely.

Even the techs in that list are useful, sure you can get a scientist to buff instead but hitting these means the scientists can buff the really hard ones to get.

If you leave it too late you know you never will and then when the need arises its too late. However the top few players have gone off the encampment now claiming about a 5-10 turn slowdown and getting an encampment by conquest is normally good enough.

To be real honest when I am pushing bronze working early that's when I am tempted to build it, and thats not the act of a peaceful person.

.Also building an encampment in the direction of the enemy saves a turn in movement as the units spawn there

One final note... if warring enough you can get your archers to double shot better with a barracks and the +1 housing of a barracks now helps out a little.
I think I like peaceful play but bronze working is still a very tempting technolgy.to research early. I need to know where iron is and grasping it just make me feel safer to have swordman and knight to protect myself (Knight also have an important eureka). Building a early encampment for State Workforce and Military Training inspiration is nice, unless I have a very beautiful place to put down a campus for the first district inspiration. But, this is also my only encampent for the entire game.

The biggest reason to build encampments is for the GGs. The production can be nice, as can the extra exra experience. It's worth pointing out that the heal is arguably more important than the promotion; fresh units from armories will get their first two heals faster which makes them better shock troops.
-Defensively extremely powerful. That ranged attack is killer- also very handy if you drop one on a contested border so you can bombard the enemy's defensive forces. You can't march through enemy encampments; this makes them extremely valuable as blocks for incoming enemies. The ability for units inside them to be immune to ranged attacks though- you can often safely keep a siege unit in bombardment position during war.

-Production. All three buildings give 6 production total; better than any mined hill. Useful for flat land cities or if you have some useless tiles around. But the key here is the ability to train and discount on training corps/armies; armies are extremely combat efficient units ( an army of unit X takes 3 to create, but fights as effectively as 4 would) and so saving hammers building them is huge late game. Plus you pick up 2 housing. Not amazing but the extra housing on barracks is nice early.

You should always have ikandas out if you're the zulu, because zulu corps OP.
Very nice comment but disgree on some points.
For production, it's strange to consume your production for production, that's why I think workshop is too bad unless yo are preparing for a factory. Factory can be good because other cities, especially low production cities nearby can benefit from it. But barrack and workshop only for the same city. I know we may call it "production storage" but the return come so slowly and I seldom find that I'm running out things to build. Also 1 production means less in later game than early.
For corps/army/extra XP, yes, but only very late conquest. If for early rush like swordman/knight it may be better to build the unit itself to become faster. For a middle game rush like cavalry, it seems better to build CH or Academy for eureke/inspiration to become faster.

Last edited:
I think I like peaceful play but bronze working is still a very tempting technolgy.to research early. I need to know where iron is and grasping it just make me feel safer to have swordman and knight to protect myself (Knight also have an important eureka). Building a early encampment for State Workforce and Military Training inspiration is nice, unless I have a very beautiful place to put down a campus for the first district inspiration. But, this is also my only encampent for the entire game.

Thanks! I recall Victoria also mentioning in another thread that making the Encampment the first district you complete can work out well. I've been getting a Campus up for the State Workforce inspiration when not warmongering, especially if it's a +3 and triggers useful era score, but the two of you are likely on to something here.

I think I'll be okay with decision making going forward as long as I remember to mentally add the Military Training civic boost to the benefits of the Encampment. That's the part of my planning that was missing.

Thanks! I recall Victoria also mentioning in another thread that making the Encampment the first district you complete can work out well. I've been getting a Campus up for the State Workforce inspiration when not warmongering, especially if it's a +3 and triggers useful era score, but the two of you are likely on to something here.

I think I'll be okay with decision making going forward as long as I remember to mentally add the Military Training civic boost to the benefits of the Encampment. That's the part of my planning that was missing.

Encampment is actually a negative district (since you no longer gain access to build-upgrade in that city), so it's better to be built in a low-prod city which only produces the encampment and do not have extra production for units. It's unwise to make it your first district or so since that district is often in capital or good-prod city, making that city hard to produce units is not a good idea.

Perhaps as many as 50% of my cities in any given play will have the encampment with military academy and I see no reason to discontinue that trend. Why? because I just like it, and I like building full armies in the industrial era even if I don't plan on using them (much).

Usually, I will try to build at least a couple of cities that have everything crammed into them I possibly can. Again, just because I like it. It works for me.

And I am fully aware that it is >gasp< sub-optimal!

I learned the hard way not to let someone get all the great generals in multiplayer. But I thought they don't stack now.

If there is +3 campus surely it is a must to put a campus first. In my game I find out the most difficult thing is to get 12 Era Score to avoid a dark age, sometimes just locked by your neighbour and can't find any tribal village nor have any barbarian outpost to rob. The +3 is very precious I think. Another reason is that I prefer to research animal hus+mining for builder and then archery to guard barbarian. Thus pottery is ignored completely and I need BW as my 4th tech to put my first/second city down.

Completely disagree with OP. In my current game, the trajectory of my game was completely altered by the building of a single well-placed Encampment.

When America invaded me (for the second time) in the late-ancient to early-classical era with a much larger army, I was destined to lose one of my best-placed cities (let's call it City #3).

But, luckily, I'd planned for this invasion by building city walls in nearby City #2. Better yet, when America invaded, I was only 3 turns away from completing an Encampment district, which was intentionally placed in a location that could defend many of City #3's tiles in addition to City #2's tiles.

The result? America invaded with a large army and laid siege to City #3, but before America could take the city, my Encampment came online with it's walls. With the Encampment able to bombard, the fortunes of war radically changed within just a few turns.

Ultimately, America retreated with what was left of its army and I sued for very favorable peace terms. But for the Encampment, I would have lost a city and the game would have gone a very different direction. And, with all the bonuses that Encampments get, City #2 is able to churn out great units whenever necessary.

Last edited:
Encampment is actually a negative district (since you no longer gain access to build-upgrade in that city), so it's better to be built in a low-prod city which only produces the encampment and do not have extra production for units. It's unwise to make it your first district or so since that district is often in capital or good-prod city, making that city hard to produce units is not a good idea.

It's sort of sad to me to see the encampment now for a low production city. In old Civ games, I'd always find a high production city early on and make that my military city and pump out units consistently in it. Civ 6 has sort of gotten away from that.

I agree. It's part of the reason I'd been passing on encampments entirely. I don't want to be able to build modern units. Like Br'er Rabbit, I want to be "forced" to build the outdated unit and "made" to buy an inexpensive upgrade to it. Thankfully, my neighbours, even the cranky ones, are kind enough to take excess strategic resources off my hands when they inconveniently pop up underneath my districts.

Top Bottom