John Stossel's "Lies, Myths and Downright Stupidity" story.

Originally posted by Lyonesse
"burglers" given the choice of a house with a firearm and a house without a firearm, all chose the house without a firearm (whether or not the owner was home)
Duh! Two things:
If the owner was not at home, they were not making rational choices - the presence of the gun is irrelvant. If pressed, they'll make a choice based on the association of guns with danger
("Yeah, I know it doesn't matter, but if you had to burgle one of the houses, which would you choose?"
"Uh, the one with no gun in it, I guess, cos, like, someone could come in and surprise me")

Do the burglars have X-ray gun detect-o-scopes?

Originally posted by Speedo
Gun laws don't affect the people who are going to use guns in crimes...

Not every gundeath comes from crime. Many gundeath come from accidents.

Also, situations / quarrels that get out of hand,while a gun is near....

Originally posted by Mojotronica
7) Money can buy happiness.

I'm pretty sure that "Money can buy happiness". If anyone have doubt about it, why not test it on me.:D Why not give Moonsinger some money and watch how she would react?;)

The exact same thing can be said for knives, cars, scissors....

Originally posted by Moonsinger

I'm pretty sure that "Money can buy happiness". If anyone have doubt about it, why not test it on me.:D Why not give Moonsinger some money and watch how she would react?;)

mmmmm...... if its the reaction that first came into my dirty mind, then i just might try it.....

sorry, couldnt help myself.

LOL I'll be willing to go in on that "study" too Moonsinger! We could "compare" how "happy" the money made us, thus generating better "stats" :goodjob:

seriously....having more money would denfinitely relieve a LOT of stress for me, thus making me a bit more "easy going" and therefore "happier" good way to think about it, no?

Originally posted by cgannon64
So is it wrong to at least make them harder to get?

Since it affects the people who aren't causing the problem, I'd say "yes".

Or are you proposing it simply because it makes you feel better and hurts people you don't like?

Originally posted by Stapel

Very rarely, actually.

Also much more rare than you might think. It doesn't help that gun control groups deliberately lie by claiming "acquaintance" means "close friend or family member" when they make their claims.

In my opinion, "Money makes you happy" and "Guns are bad" myths are related. The point of Stossel's critique of the money makes you happy myth is that once one has a salary in excess of $50K/year, money ceases to be a factor in one's happiness. It's a cliche that "guns don't kill people, people kill people" but it's a true one. Specifically -- unhappy people kill people.

There are two solutions to the problem of gun violence -- take away the guns (which is impossible to do, and unacceptably oppressive in my opinion) or make people happier. Solution # 2 is better by far.

We know that money increases happiness up to the $50K figure. That makes sense -- the national average salary (for those who are actually employed) is about $35K. Someone with an income of $50K or more has more than the average.

The obvious solution is to increase the minimum wage -- but the problem with that is that increases in minimum wage may be inflationary, wiping out the benefit of the wage increase in the first place. Also raising the minimum wage drives businesses that can be re-located to other nations.

The better solution is the decrease the cost of living, implement improvements that make it so cheap to survive that money is no longer a factor. Gov'ts role should be to enact policy that brings prices down. Once the optimal cost associated with maximum happiness is brought down to the point that the average full-time McDonald's employee can afford it, violence will be rare.

As long as there are people who have more than other people, people will claim they are poor.

Drive through a trailer park and count the satellite dishes. Poor people are very bad with money. It's the reason they don't have any.

Originally posted by thestonesfan
Drive through a trailer park and count the satellite dishes.

That's very true!:lol:

Top Bottom