jules verne scenario in fantastic w.

• Thread starter stellar converter
  • Start date
S

stellar converter

when the aliens came to land, i said, "what if i try to bribe them?" i did, and i got them for cheap. real cheap! there were 3, i think. they had best attack out of all units in the scenario, and the highest movement. they were considered air units. they had a movement of 3(20) i believe. that means 20 times 3 moves, for anyone who is confused. that equals 60 moves! best investment i made in that game.

------------------

stellariumconvertium@yahoo.com

When I first purchased the Civ2 game, (having played the Civ1 for several years), it was the MGE and the Jules Verne scenario captivated me. There were a few changes from Civ1 and not bothering to read the new rules, I dived right in. It was a surreal experience. I always played the British Empire and watched as civilization was destroyed around me every game. I had no clue what was going on other than the basics of combat. There were minions of evil running around in the back country, hostile submarines lurking in the oceans, and, as you mentioned, on top of everything, Martians invariably landed at the worst possible time. Not knowing anything about the new governments or diplomacy, usually by turn 50 the Verne world was smoking ruins, where dark airships glided over wasted landscapes. Really bleak.

Later, I learned what was going on there. But I still have a soft spot for that scenario.

Salutations,
Exile

------------------
What? Huh?

[This message has been edited by Exile (edited January 06, 2001).]

salutations, mr. exile. this is my favorite scenario also. i love all the mini plots and the unplayable monsters, such as the volcano, or king kong. i go and kill that dirty nautilus(or at least when i play it, its been a while) first. i play as the french people. i think they start out the biggest.

Wait a second, how do you get spies? The aliens came long before I could get spies. I thought Espionage fell off that tech tree...

I played Verne once. I could never figure out the tech tree. In hindsight, I think I played on too low a level (as the British) and simply won too easily. I never got to experience Martians or any of the other cool things you guys talked about. May have to try it again sometime.

i love japanese one too. i start out as the civ on the bottom island and take out about half of the yamatos(or whatever they are(the white)) and then become the biggest economy. i send out caravans every where. kind of reminiscent to colonization. boy howdy, its capitalism at its finest!

Verne was one of the first scenarios I played, it remains one of my favorites.

The gameplay does not emphasize combat(though I liked attacking poor aborignal cities with my steam frigates), but rather exploring and fighting the monsters. It has a very imperialism + sci-fi feel.

My usual goal was to get the moon shot and take the evil capital. (Which is very hard, considering they are a mountain. It required a lot artillery.)
I liked being the English, because I liked the larger navy and being more spread, and thus able to affect more things. And I liked the Ray gun troops, they were fast and deadly. When I got those, I could take out all the pesky natives.

Hi! i just love this scenario and i mostly play it with the british... all that ships make possible for the hunt of that invisible ship that keeps sinking my transpost... with those martians not serious trouble is your railroads allow for fast reinforcements.

------------------
Fenax

I think the Verne scenario would be a very interesting, and very different experience for a Multi-player game. The emphasis isn't on taking out your opponent(s), but exploring and finding the right treasures before anyone else can. Winning the scenario can be accomplished in 2 different ways. Anybody wanna try this? If so, contact me via email at; Exile1957@aol.com

I've tried to put a game together on several occasions, but unlucky events have screwed things up. Still trying, as I think it would be a lot of fun. I'm thinking about a weekend-daytime or maybe a weeknight.

Salutations,
Exile

------------------
What? Huh?

Originally posted by Exile:
I think the Verne scenario would be a very interesting, and very different experience for a Multi-player game. The emphasis isn't on taking out your opponent(s), but exploring and finding the right treasures before anyone else can. Winning the scenario can be accomplished in 2 different ways. Anybody wanna try this? If so, contact me via email at; Exile1957@aol.com

I've tried to put a game together on several occasions, but unlucky events have screwed things up. Still trying, as I think it would be a lot of fun. I'm thinking about a weekend-daytime or maybe a weeknight.

Salutations,
Exile

My first tests showed that playing it with MGE is quite impossible due to a bug that makes "no,no" techs possible to trade in Multiplayer games.
Along with a couple of other improvements (currently about 32 kb Events...) I'm working with AroSch on a bugfixed ToT version of it.

[This message has been edited by SCDARS (edited June 29, 2001).]

Top Bottom