Just played my first few games

since '99.

I was the Romans in the first game. Turned out my starting poit was the peninsula at the southwest corner of the continent. I expanded out to five cities before running into the Persians. I started getting ahead in the tech race, and next thing I knew I had to expel their diplomat on every turn. So I switched from Republic to Communism and built up a bigger (and more technologically advanced) military than Persia's. Then I sat back and waited, and sure enough they stole tech from me. Which was good because I could declare war without hurting my rep. By this point, my caravans had discovered Carthage (or it might have been Egypt) on the other side of Persia, so I got them to declare war on the Persians, thereby making them fight on two fronts. I stomped them into the ground, although I couldn't find Persia's last city, Bactus--Carthage ended up taking it and destroying their civilization. I eventually won the game by colonizing Alpha Centauri. My civ score wasn't great (only about 40%) but not bad for a first game.

In the second game I was the Celts, but I bungled it badly. After I discovered Republic I forgot to change governments, and I suddenly realized I was still in Despotism a couple millenia later :eek: I ended up pulling the plug on that game.

Game Three: I was the Americans and did much better. Had a big lead in the tech race. Then the French sneak-attacked me and killed a settler. I switched to Commie, then gave gifts to all the other AI civs, then got them to declare war on France. I cranked up my military production, which I had time to do because we were on different continents, and loaded up a bunch of vastly superior units onto a transport and landed outside one of their cities. Kicked their butts, took the city, then marched down and took Paris. That triggered a civil war and half their cities broke off and became the Indians. I stomped what was left of French civ out of existence--by the end of the war I had fighter planes so I just bombed cities until they were undefended and marched a ground unit in. Later in the game I had my spaceship built and waited to launch it--but the Egyptians and Zulus started building theirs. I held out as long as I could (to score Future Tech and gain more citizens through city growth) and then launched. Won the game, civ score 60% (still not great but at least I'm getting better.)

This game isn't too hard by yourself. Maybe we can try out that multiplayer.

Top Bottom