Key Decision Points

pre-plan less before (and during) the game. Make decisions based on the situation now.
I hope that this is bad wording, because long-term planning is extremely important.

What really is a very common mistake is to understand yield inflation. 4 culture per turn now is more valuable than 100 culture per turn on turn 200. God-King is the best pantheon in terms of yield that it will eventually give you, but i never ever pick it because of how late those yield come.

Thanks for all the tips. My temptation is also to come in with a rigid game plan, but am finding I do better when I learn to adapt.

Maybe it’s better to think about what information to look for before each decision point (I.e, how many turns it takes to meet neighbors, what those neighbors uniques and monopolies might shape their early game, amount of pantheon-friendly terrain, relative costs of techs when thinking about wonders).

I hope that this is bad wording, because long-term planning is extremely important.

What really is a very common mistake is to understand yield inflation. 4 culture per turn now is more valuable than 100 culture per turn on turn 200. God-King is the best pantheon in terms of yield that it will eventually give you, but i never ever pick it because of how late those yield come.
Long-term planning IS important, but not when I do it to detriment of the right now. It's no use knowing what you'll do later if you get trounced before you get there. It's good to know the potential of a city way later in the game, but again it's pointless if you can't defend the city thirty turns after settling it.

EDIT: Also, being too rigid in said plans. I am far too guilty of mapping out my whole policy trees and wonders way too far ahead, and not changing even when obviously situation calls for something else.

Last edited:
I think some people start a game with a civ, and before they even see the map, decide their social policies, religion and ideology. Which is fine if you want to role play and have fun, but if you are pushing yourself to win on higher difficulties, its a terrible way to go. I think this is what Fox of War is referring to.

I think some people start a game with a civ, and before they even see the map, decide their social policies, religion and ideology. Which is fine if you want to role play and have fun, but if you are pushing yourself to win on higher difficulties, its a terrible way to go. I think this is what Fox of War is referring to.
Yep, pretty much. I do this way too much, and I am slowly attempting to stop doing it. :p

Thats exactly what i do and that was something that helped me to beat Deity. To have a long-term plan, that has synergy with your UA in every aspect, etc. Sometimes i do change my decisions depending on the circumstances, but rarely

How do you approach choosing your first few techs? Obviously it depends on civ and nearby resources, but are there any patterns you fall into?
It depends on my starting location, my initial game plan (i.e: the policy/pantheon I plan to take, do I want to expand quickly, do I want to war, do I want to go for any early wonder...) And also depend on my neighbours. Every game is different so I dont think there is a patterns to follow.

Top Bottom