Leader Pass Readjustments

Pitohui

Chieftain
I was somewhat disappointed in some of the Leader Pass Leaders,so I compiled some ideas. I tried to stay true to the identity the leader has.

Abraham Lincoln

Cities gain +2 Loyalty for every district,but lose -2 for every improvement. Cities at 100% Loyalty build Districts 25% faster.

Nzinga Mbande

Cannot settle cities on Continents other than their Home Continent,but Cities start with an extra population and Housing.

Wu Zetian

Recieve a free spy with Defensive Tactics.
Spies defending on your own districts double that districts total yield income,but Spies cannot be sent on offensive spy missions.

Sejong

Seowons recieve +1 Culture per adjacent district and Tourism equal to their Culture adjacency at Flight. Libraries gain +1 Culture,+1 Great Work of Writing Slot and +1 Great Writer Point.

Wu Zetian

Recieve a free spy with Defensive Tactics.
Spies defending on your own districts double that districts total yield income,but Spies cannot be sent on offensive spy missions.
I love her original ability but just wish that it was for defensive missions only. Not only is it thematic, but it makes her different from Black Queen Catherine.

Since the Rulers of England pack just came out, and the leaders are fresh on my mind, I'll start with them. I bolded my changes.

Elizabeth I- +1 Trade Route capacity for every naval raider unit you build for the first time. +100% yields from plundering Trade Routes. You do not have to be at war to coastal raid or plunder trade routes.
Being able to pillage trade routes when not at war makes sense historically and truly makes her unique. I got rid of most of the trading bonuses because I wanted to give that to Harald. :)

Varangian Harald- Levying city-state units costs 75% less Gold. Killing a unit with a levied unit grants Faith and Gold equal to 50% of the defeated unit's Combat Strength. Trade Routes to city-states that follow your same religion receive +2 gold.
I wanted Varangian Harald to be more faith oriented and synergize with the Stave Church. I think the bonus of trading with city-states to receive more gold, to then levy them, and then use them to gain even more gold, and faith to convert them, is great.

Age of Steam Victoria- +10% Science in cities for each Industrial Zone building in that city. +2 Science to all Strategic Resources.
I think replacing science with production changes the way she is played. With Workshop of the World you'll still be production focused, but now this will help with science as well. The Age of Steam/Industriali Revolution was as much about advancing science as well as production.

Last edited:
Elizabeth I- +2 Trade Route capacity upon recruiting the first Great Admiral.
This is also one design choice i don't really like, beacuse to me one-time boosts are not really that interesting. Would have changed that to +1 Trade Route/Great Admiral(although that might be too strong). Also like your designs btw

This is also one design choice i don't really like, beacuse to me one-time boosts are not really that interesting. Would have changed that to +1 Trade Route/Great Admiral(although that might be too strong). Also like your designs btw
Yeah, that might be too strong. They are already going to gain a lot of trade routes anyways if every city they build can have a Royal Navy Dockyard. With that bonus they might get too many trade routes. :crazyeye:
I personally wanted her to focus on more of the piracy aspects because we already have so many trade civilizations and leaders to begin with. And well the only other "pirate" leader, Harald, has a new persona now.

Edit: I got rid of that entirely because of the weird way it's implemented in the game. It has to be a Renaissance Era or earlier Great Admiral from the base game. :crazyeye:

Last edited:
I wish every Chinese leader received a Eureka or an inspiration each time they achieve something they're good at. It'd provide a better justification for splitting civilization and leader abilities. Each leader would receive a random Eureka and/or inspiration when:

Wu Zetian: An offensive spy mission succeeds
Qin (Unifier): Barbarians are recruited (combined combat strength of the recruited units must be greater than that of the unit being sacrificed)
Yongle: A city reaches 10 population for the first time
Qin (Mandate of Heaven): Completing a wonder (remove it from the civ ability)
Kublai Khan: A trade route is established with another civilization for the first time (NOT when a trading post is established)

The ones I would change:

Abraham Lincoln: buildings in industrial zones grant +1 amenity, +3 extra production, and gold equal to the industrial zone's adjacency bonus.
Note: an industrial America would be interesting and new, and Abraham Lincoln is a good leader to do that.

Sejong: by building the first Seowon, you get the Drama and Poetry civic for free. Great Works of Writting grant twice as much culture, and during the Golden and Heroic Ages the generation of Great Writers is doubled.
Note: here we have Sejong leading Korea towards cultural victory, the period in which he led can be seen as a golden age in Korean history.

Nzinga Mbande: trade routes to allies grant +25% gold and +100% food and production. Get a free trade route capacity every time you form an alliance with a civilization for the first time.
Note: the real Nzinga Mbande stood out for her incredible negotiation abilities, it's a shame this wasn't represented in the game.

Age of Steam Victoria: doubles the generation of Great People in tier 2 buildings (banks, museums, factories, universities...), triples if in a Golden or Heroic Age.
Note: well, we also know that the industrial era was a period of strong flowering of brilliant minds in the most diverse areas. There are few leaders that interact with Great People in the game, how about Pedro II having a competitor? By the way, both reigned in the same period.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about what I want to do with Lincoln for a while and I think this is the perfect solution:

GS: Industrial Zones grant +3 Loyalty per turn and +2 Housing but Farms give -1 Loyalty and Plantations give -2 Loyalty. Each Industrial Zone building grants +2 Diplo Favor when built.
R&F: Industrial Zones grant +3 Loyalty per turn and +2 Housing but Farms give -1 Loyalty and Plantations give -2 Loyalty. Each Industrial Zone building grants +2 Culture when built.
Base: Industrial Zones grant +2 Amenity and +2 Housing but Farms do not give housing and Plantations do not give amenities. Each Industrial Zone building grants +2 Culture when built.

This makes the dichotomy between the more urban/industrial North and rural/agriculture South apparent, while also adding in diplomatic and cultural bonuses that the rest of the civ is known for. :)

Top Bottom