[R&F] Locking production costs of districts

Mahi

Prince
I recently saw a YouTube video of a player locking production cost of a district by setting up a district and immediately swift over to another production, thereby locking the production cost of the district preventing it to escalate in production cost when flipping into a new Era. Is this a valid strategy in R&F?

I recently saw a YouTube video of a player locking production cost of a district by setting up a district and immediately swift over to another production, thereby locking the production cost of the district preventing it to escalate in production cost when flipping into a new Era. Is this a valid strategy in R&F?

Yes. There's a gold cost per turn for partially built districts, same as for completed districts, but despite this, you'll usually want to place your districts as soon as you can, and finish them later (preferably with a chop).

Note that if you intend to buy the district with Reyna, though, you can't place it first.

Yes. There's a gold cost per turn for partially built districts, same as for completed districts, but despite this, you'll usually want to place your districts as soon as you can, and finish them later (preferably with a chop).

Are you sure that partially built districts have maintenance cost ?

Never thought of it !

It's pretty annoying to have to remember it. I wish it wasn't a thing.

Agree. I hate this type of small exploits that are officially permited in games. Same as putting a +production to something card, and chopping to boost the next thing you produce.

Note that if you intend to buy the district with Reyna, though, you can't place it first.

You can still buy it with Reyna, actually. You pay the full current price no matter what production you have put into it, but she can still buy districts that are placed or in production. So it doesn't help you to pre-place it since it won't be cheaper to buy or anything like that, but you can still buy it.

You can still buy it with Reyna, actually. You pay the full current price no matter what production you have put into it, but she can still buy districts that are placed or in production. So it doesn't help you to pre-place it since it won't be cheaper to buy or anything like that, but you can still buy it.

Oh? Sorry, I had that wrong. Is it possible she can only buy it if the city has room to place a new district (example: is at size 4, you've pre-placed only one district and completed none, so there's room to put down a second)? I really thought that placing the district meant the city couldn't build a new district, including that Reyna couldn't buy a district for it. But I may have goofed.

Oh? Sorry, I had that wrong. Is it possible she can only buy it if the city has room to place a new district (example: is at size 4, you've pre-placed only one district and completed none, so there's room to put down a second)? I really thought that placing the district meant the city couldn't build a new district, including that Reyna couldn't buy a district for it. But I may have goofed.

My current I've been using Reyna heavily. If you have pre-placed a district, then all the other districts are greyed out, and that one is the only one you're able to buy (if you have no open spots left for more districts). It simply finishes it in the spot it was placed in.

Agree. I hate this type of small exploits that are officially permited in games. Same as putting a +production to something card, and chopping to boost the next thing you produce.

They should just get rid of era district scaling; if people get it around it anyways.

They should just get rid of era district scaling; if people get it around it anyways.

I've maintained that the best method would be a cost that's proportional to the number of that district type in your empire and the number of districts in the city. That would also potentially make going wide a little less valuable, since the 10th or 20th campus in your empire is going to be very expensive to build. I don't mind having a small scaling for eras, but would probably set it more like a modern district being like double the cost of an ancient era one.

chopping to boost the next thing you produce.
How is that an exploit? How is that any different from chopping to boost what you're currently producing? The hammers added are the same either way. :confused: In fact, the game is designed to work that way; that's why the game reminds you every time you go to place a district on a tile that includes a choppable feature...

How is that an exploit? How is that any different from chopping to boost what you're currently producing? The hammers added are the same either way. :confused: In fact, the game is designed to work that way; that's why the game reminds you every time you go to place a district on a tile that includes a choppable feature...

The "exploit" is, for example, running the +100% production for ships policy card, and then with only a few hammers left in building a galley, chopping a forest. The "overflow" production in this case will include the policy card, so that you can then place a district and build it in 1 turn in many cases, for example, which effectively applies the +100% policy card to the next thing you build (district) and not towards what it's intended for (galley).

The "exploit" is, for example, running the +100% production for ships policy card, and then with only a few hammers left in building a galley, chopping a forest. The "overflow" production in this case will include the policy card, so that you can then place a district and build it in 1 turn in many cases, for example, which effectively applies the +100% policy card to the next thing you build (district) and not towards what it's intended for (galley).

Didn't know about this one

Maybe it's because I don't play multiplayer or play Deity, but I can't be bothered to do that sort of min-maxing stuff or use exploits.

I've maintained that the best method would be a cost that's proportional to the number of that district type in your empire and the number of districts in the city. That would also potentially make going wide a little less valuable, since the 10th or 20th campus in your empire is going to be very expensive to build. I don't mind having a small scaling for eras, but would probably set it more like a modern district being like double the cost of an ancient era one.

One thing that’s good about the current system is that it does give early (ancient) cities more value, more importance, because they’ll be the cities that have the districts. I think districts late game should be hard to build. The game also gives fairly good work around, ie chopping and Reyna.

That said. I think Campuses Spam needs to be stopped. Perhaps Campuses should have their price linked more to how many you already have. That would be a slight boost to Tall, and make wide and tall more distinct (wide does better with culture, while tall, well, at least it's not actually worse at science).

I also think Cities without districts should have more value. I guess cities without districts are still okay in some ways - sea side resorts, trade route connections, can build builders. But I think maybe City Centres should have a few more utility buildings and or unique projects. The game is just a little too focused on districts sometimes, which is part of what makes mid and late game cities so useless. It’s also just a bit bland having districts in every every every city.

Top Bottom