Log files formatting

Olleus

Deity
All the log files produced by Civ6 open with notepad in my computer and without any line breaks or formatting whatsoever. This makes them incredibly cumbersome to read, even when using ctrl+F to look for errors. But I've seen quite a few segments of log files posted on these forums nicely formatted, with a new line for every time stamp.

Is that something done by hand before uploading? Are you using a different program to open them? Is there a simple trick I'm missing?

Making the log files easier to read would make debugging just that little bit smoother

Notepad++ correctly reads the files.

What you are seeing is a "linebreak" code issue between the program creating the log files and "original" Notepad -- different encoding of the file, as I recall.

While Notepad ++ correctly shows the contents of the files the hidden line-break characters are still within the log files and when copying multiple lines from one of the log files into the forum (forexample) you'll get "extra" line-breaks. This comes from the way the hidden line-break code within the log files is read by most websites. (I think it's actually a deal with the way html "parses" the codes for the line-break)

Notepad++ is free to download but I don't have a link handy.

Ah, notepad++, haven't used that for years... I made the switch to SublimeText a while ago and haven't looked back. Doesn't do auto formatting for logs though, I think I'll have to look into the settings file for that.

Thanks for reassuring me that it isn't black magic though!

Top Bottom