longest golden age

phillip1882

Prince
Supporter

Attachments

• goldage.png
    goldage.png
    3 MB · Views: 150
Let's see, it's turn 1187, so definitely Marathon game speed. Golden Ages are 8 turns on Standard, and probably 24 on Marathon due to thrice the number of turns.

168 / 24 = 7. Seven stacked Golden Ages.

You can start a golden age with 1 Great Person, plus 1 per Golden Age you've already started. There are 7 types of Great People, including Spies and Generals (plus Merchants, Scientists, Priests, Engineers, and Artists). So, if you saved up 7 + 6 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 26 Great People, of appropriately varying types, you could get 7 golden ages for 168 turns on Marathon. Assuming that I'm remembering correctly that all types of Great People, even Generals, can be used for that purpose.

It's late game, with no opponents meaning maximum Wonders, and there are some Great Spies left over, so presumably the Great Person balance was close to but not exactly perfect.

I think the Mausoleum gives 50% longer Golden Ages, too? But 168 / 36 = 4.666, which doesn't divide evenly.

On the other hand, since there are no opponents, the Taj Mahal Golden Age, which I'd originally thought must have been earlier due to the year/tech, could have been used as part of this, too. Which suggests that at Marathon, even if Great Generals aren't Golden Age-able, for a Mausoleum-owning civs 252 turns is theoretically possible with Taj + enough Great People, and 288 turns if Great Generals are Golden Age-able.

Still way more than I've ever had at once. I've strung two together, maybe three, but probably not more than that. Although I usually like to make use of them before 1997, too :).

(P.S. Civ4 mods, this should probably be in General Discussions, it's more of a mystery of how this situation occurred than a Story)

Top Bottom