Lost the Ctrl + # function

loffenx

Warlord
I can no longer assign units to number keys, is this a bug, does any one else has this problem?

I've got the same problem. Kinda annoying since I can't access my heroes with one keystroke.

It started for me after I used Wild Mana, but I am no longer (just patch J). Maybe there is something in the Wild Mana code imprted into standard FFH? Or some lingering effect of installing Wild Mana, though I do not know what that would be.

I lost that ability too.

Now I don't know where the hell Gilden Silveric is!

Bet he's probably lurking around somewhere, either killing Orcs or selling tie-dyed shirts on Telegraph Avenue for the XPs. (I blame WildMana)

I think that ability has been broken for quite a while, but I'm not sure when it went away since I rarely remembered to use it.

It worked fine in patch g, although the ability was lost in patch j .... I didn't play enough in H or I to tell, although patch j is definitely responsible for losing the Ctrl+# function imo.

its not the worst thing that could happen though. Largely its just inconvenient.

ctrl + # is quite unspecific ... in-fact, its almost as generic as the pause button on your keyboard. In most games, tactical, strategy, or RTS -where you have alot of units milling about, you can select a certain number of units, and create a ctrl group based upon a number. Once you have made the ctrl group, you can select it merely by clicking on the number.

I used to use such for civ and FFH by separating the casters, seige weapons, fodder units, and heroes in a single stack, so that I can access things quickly. The main difference in ctrl groups is how intricate the system is, and if a single unit can exist in more than one ctrl group.

My personal favorite is when you can have any one unit be part of any number of ctrl groups at the same time ... mainly just to cover confusing results due to misclicks, although also included is the fact of quickly selecting a piece of the army, and then quickly selecting ALL of the army. In such a way, if you absolutely had to, you could order ALL of the units to do something in-between giving specialized orders to specific ctrl groups within the army. I believe the game I used this the most in was Dawn of War, although it was some-what useful in Total War games, and would be nice in Civ4's FFH.

Now however, the ability for ctrl groups is at least temporarily disabled, which slows down my game to an extent, although its merely an adaptation, like when Multiplayer games used to be exclusively Advanced start OCC, and then recently when we took an RP direction (even if it isn't always true to form ... mainly due to the same reasons why there is no world peace :D) ... on that topic I think a separation of Lore-based games, and FFA games might be necessary, as well as perhaps the grey area of "Hybrid RP".

interesting

That is on Patch 0.41G. I'm not upgrading until the AI is fixed... with only about 10 hours a month to play, I'm a bad choice for playtesting.

Wednesday, 24 February 2010, and patch m
Still not possible to assign a key to a unit...
How sad...

what about assigning multiple units to a key?

Top Bottom