Main MP problems/bugs

Akaoz

Warlord
I've been waiting forever to try this game in MP, but I've been out off by all the talk of no diplo and synk issues.

What's the state of MP now? What gameplay features are not working in MP and what are the main bugs left?

need earth map in mp

still need trusted friends to play with - quitters (league/ nq group)

human diplo is much more rewarding imo

yeah you get sync issues, always will to some extent

the ai in mp will be the level you play in and will be barbs , cs and quit players' civs
barbs can be dumb, but they are barbs after all. City states vary, auto workers tend to react to governer so i often automate if in a clickfest war.
The ai often does quite well, before you used to to see the ai drop down the scoreboard pretty quickly, now they can often build upon the human start and many a time ive seen them out play the human that left (noobs)

Remember though that having AI in MP games will cause more end of turn lag as the game goes on, and make make the game unplayable depending on the computer specs the players have. Which is why many MP games are played with as little AI as possible.

CS

The main issue you will face in online play is quitters and desync issues.

You'll have to get used to not finishing games. In the usual 6 player quick FFA with strangers don't expect to be able to finish your game. Once enough players drop the game becomes very stale and pointless. If you adopt a different attitude and treat every game as practice and refinement it can be a very enjoyable experience. Just don't get attached to the idea of playing every game to the end.

2v2 matches, on the other hand, are much more reliable and you can expect to play them through most of the time. 2v2 is very enjoyable and challenging.

Multiplayer can be frustrating at first, but ultimately I find playing against humans much more fun and rewarding than playing against the AI, and that goes for most video games in my opinion. Freezes and crashes do happen but you just have to live with it until they get patched. The AI is dumb as usual, often an opponent will quit after you've been in trench warfare for 50 turns and the next turn the AI will move all those units out of their forts into a killing zone, that sort of thing.

The quitting issue can be solved by join an organized group with rules against that, like Civplayers Leagues(links in my sig), or just by playing friends, but not a lot of us have tonnes of civ playing friends so at least the league lets you meet international players that all agree to play by the same set of rules.

CS

I used to paly a lot of co-op Civ4 with my wife. I'm just looking to do the same with Civ5, but if the AI in MP is ******ed that would be kind of pointless. De-synk is annoying, but quitters won't be a problem for us :p

Also, the simultaneous turns is not really a problem either, but missing stuff like animations puts us off playing atm.

You could probably get a challenge by increasing you and your wifes difficulty level in relation to the AI, but it your expecting to see Erwin Rommel or Bernard Montgomery in Battle from the AI you are going to be disappointed :-/ That is why we in online MP tend to never be able to go back to playing any AI after playing against real people....

CS

I know not to expect strategic genius from the AI. I just want the same rules/behavior as in SP.

Top Bottom