Majority Tech?

Agraza

Chieftain
I want majority tech absorbing. If 3/4 of the world have chivalry and the 2 of 8 are capable of researching chivalry, they should either just get it freely on the next turn or receive a discount on it. How hard can it really be to research a tech that most of the world already knows? The Manhattan Project was hard cause it was new. But nuclear technology is very well known now.

This would be an option at the beginning of a campaign like "Respawn AI players" is. I'd let bix files control the discounts in their files. So you can turn the option on or off but if its on then when tech is well understood then those ignorant folks get discounts and those discount levels are set by the modder. So he can make them nearly free or still remain relatively expensive.

My rate would be something like 3/4 of connected cities must have tech. and set tech costs to be 2/3-3/4 of normal costs. Perhaps make the entire system scale. The person checking out new tech always has the hardest time.

Have something like a "Frontier Penalty" for any civ learning something two steps beyond what any other country is learning. So if you're learning gunpowder and they aren't STUDYING engineering then you suffer frontier penalty. I don't want to discourage that though. I'd have any country suffering frontier penalty to have a large resistance to propoganda and perhaps 1 happiness in each city (dunno). You're ahead of the game and completely alone in your research so its hard. But its hard to convert nations that are technologically superior to you and they're PERHAPS happier for being more advanced.

if someone else is studying them then nothing happens. if 1/4 of the world has a tech then the other 3/4 has like a 5% discount. if 1/2 know they get 10% if 3/4 know they get 20%.

ok, done rambling.

You should read up on what techs cost. The more civs that own a tech the cheaper it is. You can probably find it in the War Acadamy or someplace. Try searching. So in other words it's alread happens.

pologies then. I'm an ignorant SoB. I just play the game mostly till recently. dint DL a mod till last month

It's called Tech Depreciation. GreyFox made a TechCalc. Here's an example:

You don't know Bronze Working and you're isolated, but all of the other civs have Bronze Working. Because you don't know them, it might take, say, 300 beakers (just a guess) to research. If you meet one civ, it might go down to 280. If you meet all the civs, it might go down to 60. These aren't actual numbers, but just to give you an idea how it works.

Also, a civ that's researching a tech finds it less and less valuable. i.e., the Romans are researching Iron Working, and you have IW and try to trade. Turn 1 - Rome might give you 2 gpt. Turn 2 - Rome might only give you 1gpt and 15 gold. Turn 3 - 1gpt and 10 gold, and so on. That's tech depriciation. Also, look in some succession games (emperor, deity level). You'll find players talking about techs at "first civ price", "second civ price", etc.

You can actually use that to your advantage somewhat. If you are researching a tech and you can suddenly drop you science rate while still having it take the same number of turns that means other civs now know it. It's not that useful since you can usually go to the foreign advisor to see if they know it.

Top Bottom