Making unique buildings ????

THE ONLY

Chieftain
How does one assing a unique building to a civ.
I have certain buildings that I want certain civs to build them not the other. How would I go about doing this? :confused:

The <Civilization_UnitClassOverrides> table governs which unit is the default one within each unit class, and the <Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides> does the same for buildings. Both of these are in the CIV5Civilizations.xml file in the Civilizations directory, although directories don't matter for GameData XML mods. Do NOT edit the actual gamedata files, of course.

The only real limit is that these are permissive, not restrictive. As in, you have the BUILDINGCLASS_BANK building class, which in the <BuildingClasses> table specifies that BUILDING_BANK is the default for that class. Then, over in that overrides table I mentioned, you see an entry that says that for Persia, the Satrap's Court is the new default instead of the Bank. So it's very easy to make a building be available to only one civilization, but if you want to make it available to half of the civs, you'll need to create a similar entry for each other civ. (Setting the building to a null bans a civ from building that building/unit. The game uses this heavily for city-states and barbarians.)

I thank you for answering my question. I am currently trying to make a mod that will take place during 1200 bc. It will be during the Trojan war. Hopefully I can add in the Rise Of Rome map and add in othe resources. Very busy going threw threads searching for all the appropriate information.
I have another question . I hope that you can answer it. How do modders load dds files into modbuddy? I started learning the mechanics to the sdk, although I figure that there is so much that can be done. Hopefully they will give us DLL support.:king:

I'm also making my mod. I have problem with building the unique building in the game. Every time I build my unique building, my city icon disappears.. Anyone know why?

I have another question . I hope that you can answer it. How do modders load dds files into modbuddy?

VFS.

The game includes what's called a "Virtual File System". For certain types of files, you just add the file to ModBuddy through the usual "Add Existing Item" interface, right-click on the file in ModBuddy, select "Properties", and in the small window that pops up the last line will be "Import into VFS". It defaults to False.

This flag needs to be set to True for:
> Any non-GameData XML
> Any Lua directly replacing pieces of the core game's UI.
> Any Lua intended to be inserted inside of other Lua files through an Include declaration
> Any new art assets, including DDS files.

The only things it should remain False for are:
> GameData XML or SQL added through the OnModActivated command in the Actions tab.
> Lua added through any Content command (InGameUIAddin, etc.)

flyinghorse301 said:
Every time I build my unique building, my city icon disappears.

What's happened is that you've given it an invalid art definition. That <ArtDefine> field is important; you can't just create a new value for this, any buildings must either have a null value here or use one of the existing buildings' definitions. (Currently we have no way to add new art defines.)

I am ever most appreciative of the humanity. I understand that the game reads audio through the DAWN OF MAN command . So, I think that if I was to make an mp3 file and add to a new civ I would probably hear Boudica scream a Banshees Yell. I wonder why anyone hasn't try to add .

I wonder why anyone hasn't try to add .

Because you can't. Audio files aren't accessed directly by the engine, they're declared through a series of sound definition files, just like the 3D models are accessed through a series of art definition files. Unlike the unit art definitions, however, the game will NOT accept a replacement sound definition file in the VFS. There's no logical reason for this; it just doesn't do it. The engine also won't accept art definition changes for improvements, terrain, etc.; pretty much the ONLY assets we can add through the VFS are unit graphics and 2D artwork for Dawn of Man and Wonder popup events.

Did you really think that in the YEAR since the game came out, no one had tried to add sounds? The only ways to do so, currently, involve either replacing existing sound files (bad idea) or altering the definition files in the game's core files (very bad idea). So in the near term, we just can't do this correctly.

The engine also won't accept art definition changes for improvements, terrain, etc.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=399942
I am using the roads and trading post color changes. The roads look way better than the dirt roads.
Btw I am sorry if I pulled a chord. I KNOW THAT us loyal civ5er's want to make love to her.

I am using the roads and trading post color changes. The roads look way better than the dirt roads.

That isn't a mod, that's replacing the original game's assets with new ones. Obviously, THAT works, but it's not a mod. The next time Steam updates those asset packages, those changes will disappear, and the game's not built to handle it well. And, you can't add a new asset this way; you could replace an existing tech's MP3 quote with a different one, but you can't add a new MP3 to your mod this way without doing this sort of change to the sound definition files as well (directly replacing the game's original one with a modified one.) You can alter the graphic used for roads, but you can't add a third route type with a unique appearance. And so on.

IN A MOD, the only asset definitions you can change are the 3D unit models and the icon atlases. Everything else (improvements, terrain, sounds, etc.) won't work, because the VFS will be ignored for all of those other things.

Top Bottom