Making Workers useful in the late game

Remember, killing civilians causes warmonger penalties.

What if there was a quest that CSs gave that requested a worker (or few), similar to the military unit request?
CSes use the military units that are gifted to them for defense. What are they going to do with gifted workers in the late game where everything is improved?

My underlying point is to have workers performing roles outside of cities. Maybe they just do yields in specific plots, but keeping them out of cities and being useful as such makes them secondary targets for invader. If they just stack in city then there is no substantial gameplay difference, we just parking them much as we do now.
Okay, I like this a lot actually, and it could maybe help address another mid-late game issue with infrastructure depending on how it might be implemented. I've had a particularly rough streak with access to coal, and it seems that there are always at least a couple civs in a game that have way too little to build even half of the relevant infrastructure. So maybe parking a worker on a strategic resource could grant a temporary (as in it lasts only so long as they remain parked) extra copy of that resource?

Just accept that some units need to stand around and do nothing, just like all your military when you're at peace.

So maybe parking a worker on a strategic resource could grant a temporary (as in it lasts only so long as they remain parked) extra copy of that resource?
There's a table in existing database called UnitPromotions_YieldModifiers -- i speculate it might sort of do the desired function, but i'm not really sure. I think to provide a resource, rather than a yield, we'd need some other structure

One idea could be to make them provide some kind of passive yield depending on the improvement they are standing on -- +1 production/turn for a mine, +1 food/turn for a farm, etc, scaling with era. That way their standing around in the late game at least has a purpose.

Just kill the peasants off. Less hassle and more cake for all.

(Seriously, the mechanic for handling late game workers is already there: Let them sleep or disband.)

Just sounds like there aren't enough pillaged improvements in the late game..

Top Bottom