Marathon Game From Heck - Advice Welcome

JOHNMAN

Chieftain
Just finished my third full Marathon game but it is the 2nd in a row of the three games that I gave up 100 turns to the end. This game is so punishing in the late game with the ridiculously high tax, immense micromanaging, inability to trade for any profit via native or europe and the crazy REF that skyrockets to 150 units while you try and build bells.

I realize most of my mistakes, I like to build big and I like to have great wonderous colonies with it all. I still have task oriented colonies but I still like to build big. Last game I had one major port and a minor port beside it; both at about 14 pop, the major port built Coats, Rhum, tools and weapons while the minor port built cigars and cloth. Several colonies inland (all inland no more ports) supplied the two ports with raw goods. I had two other key colonies, one dedicated to ore, building tools, mining silver and ultimately planned to be a fortress for the final stand if I lost my ports to the REF once I claimed independance. The other key city was in the plains dedicated to build horses where I built a ranch, all the area surrounded was turned into farms so it also pumped out new colonists. In that city I had trained every colonist into farmers in nearby native villages to be expert farmers.

All in all this was the original plan, I thought it was a decent plan, here's what happened, some my mistakes other problems were just the way the game goes:

This game was played on the Huge New World Scenario map (North and South America,) I settled where Loisiana would be and built northernly to the great plains and great lakes.

Listed numerically but not by importance

1. I thought going for silver mining would rock and I'd get big coin but the market fell ridulously fast and never recovered. All the rest of the game silver stayed at sell1/buy2 (I thought that this was ******ed.)

2. I had 4 other european opponents, once I met them I went after them with extreme predjudice. Taking them out paid off by capturing a few pioneers and other colonists but the game won't seem to let them die. The whole game you don't see them but apparently they are still there (stupid.) I mean the french guy I killed off 3 times and then I got his caravel so I thought for sure he'd be wiped out but noooo he stayed around for the whole game.

3.The biggest mistake I made came mid game, I had established control over North America; however the Dutch player had 3x better score than I did I assume by building bells. I decided to attack him and his French neighbour down near Venezuela or Brazil would be and wipe them out in case the game turned into a time victory. Originally I thought I'd just wipe them out but the temptation to gain all they had built overwhelmed me and I ended up keeping 5-7 of his major colonies. I gained tons of goods (including 600+ silver in 3 cities) not to mention two of his cities that were thoroughly stacked with expensive buildings (newpapers and factories.)

4. There is the dilema as you can plainly guess, I doubled my size as well as split up my major colonies one North and one South, independant of the other, fully finctional but also needing one army each.

5. The next big mistake or possibly the biggest was going full out with the military spending. I made so much in my conquests that I spent it all on buying heaps and heaps of troops. After I had beaten the French and Dutch in the South two indian tribes declared war on me. I fought them for many turns gaining lots of rich treasures for taking out there settlements. Almost every time I'd take out a settlement I'd gain a converted native and one sometimes 3 treasure units. During all these battles my northern settlements were cranking out the trade with the king and the natives; additionally I sold all the captured goods from the south settlements. In return for the profit I bought tons of farmers, fishermen or ore miners turning them into soldiers. Near 3/4 of the way through the game I had 50 Infantry, 14 Dragoons and 6 cannons; the king still had his original 8/4/4.

6. So nearing the end of the game or ther declaration of 100 turns left, 7 of my approximately 15-18 colonies have newpapers and I decide to go for it with the libety bells. I place every colonist I can spare into building LB's.

End Result: by the time I got to 50% and able to declare independance the king had 3 times what I had for troops. :king:
So I just said to h3ll with it, clicked end turn to finish up with what I thought would be a time victory. :cry:

Note: It might have been attemptable if I hadn't split up my colonies North and South. Fighting both in South America and North America did not seem winable. Ultimately, I was demoralized that after all that affort the king still managed to build a REF that was 3 times my force even though I had roughly 5x his force when I started building liberty bells.

Ironically, the dutch player won as he had more points than I had, even though I had wiped him out and even though I must have built more LB's than him (******ed.) :lol:

New World Scenario map -North and South America (size Huge)

Incidentally, if you haven't played this map yet I advise you too as it is awesome.

the game is winable the way u played - just reload it the time u start bell production - do it but build same time ONLY WAGONS and store the guns and horses of your troops there and store in every town as many guns and horses as u can - buy horses and guns and CANONS INSTEAD OF NEW SETTLERS in europe - once u have stored enough (to arm like 50-100 Dragons) and are at about 15%-25% revolution rate (yes kind s army have increased a lot allready) disband all people in all towns - start with the ones planting res and converting them into gods- just go on with everyone else (keep Farmers and fishers if possible) till you are at 50%.
This disbanding should happen all in 1 turn

Now declare revolution - arm all remaining people - move em all north - just give up your south - like that kings army ll split and you have a easy time defending your homeland.

done that - road south and take your cities back

Hi

Ok first one dont use the delete tactic..... its stupied and the only advantage u have is that both armies are smaller so the micromanagment is easier. But after a long Marathon game u dont want to miss the fun of a BIG WoI dont u :lol:.

U say u have a standing army and the King has only 3 times more? thats absolutly OK.

The key is your hole Colonie is fighting for Independance so let them Fight.
U should stockpile enough Guns and mb. also Horses in every Colonie to be able to arm all Colonists inside (-1) also take the 2 free ones in u Calculation if u dont take Slavery.

If your 1/3 sized standing army is expirienced it might even be enough to fight the Kings Troops as the King lands in Waves and u get the Rebel Bonus.

U should alter all u production to FOOD, GUNS, KANNONS, BELLS ones u DOI. All Colonist that can not work on that gets a gun and fights.

When the king comes always Arm all your Colonist and let them retreat from the attacked City(s). Fight the troops on the Land and when your troops are damaged Arm the guys in the closest Colonie and use them to buy time to heal the more Expirienced Troops.

WoI is no kidding its a slaughtery and u have to fight with the last man : )

Hi

Ok first one dont use the delete tatic..... its stupied and the only advantage u have is that both armies are smaller so the micromanagment is easier. But after a long Marathon game u dont want to miss the fun of a BIG WoI dont u :lol:.

U say u have a standing army and the King has only 3 times more? thats absolutly OK.

The key is your hole Colonie is fighting for Independance so let them Fight.
U should stockpile enough Guns and mb. also Horses in every Colonie to be able to arm all Colonists inside (-1) also take the 2 free ones in u Calculation if u dont take Slavery.

If your 1/3 sized standing army is expirienced it might even be enough to fight the Kings Troops as the King lands in Waves and u get the Rebel Bonus.

U should alter all u production to FOOD, GUNS, KANNONS, BELLS ones u DOI. All Colonist that can not work on that gets a gun and fights.

When the king comes always Arm all your Colonist and let them retreat from the attacked City(s). Fight the troops on the Land and when your troops are damaged Arm the guys in the closest Colonie and use them to buy time to heal the more Expirienced Troops.

WoI is no kidding its a slaughtery and u have to fight with the last man : )

Hi

Ok first one dont use the delete tatic..... its stupied and the only advantage u have is that both armies are smaller so the micromanagment is easier. But after a long Marathon game u dont want to miss the fun of a BIG WoI dont u :lol:.

Bollocks.

If you use the genocide exploit, you can easily get an army on par or larger than the REF.
Know how the bell production correlates with the REF increase before stating something that is not true.

Don't be put off by how big the REF is compared to your army, they don't all land at once. If he has say 400 troops to your 100 then OK he outnumbers you 4 to 1. But he might only land 20 so now you outnumber him 5 to 1. The key is to kill 'em all that turn. Send your wounded troops away to heal and get ready for the next lot. Rinse and repeat....

Don't be put off by how big the REF is compared to your army, they don't all land at once. If he has say 400 troops to your 100 then OK he outnumbers you 4 to 1. But he might only land 20 so now you outnumber him 5 to 1. The key is to kill 'em all that turn. Send your wounded troops away to heal and get ready for the next lot. Rinse and repeat....

My first game wasn't like that, it was my first game so I did lots wrong but his waves happened to fast for me to heal so he pretty much had me. I tried attacking at first and took out maybe 10-15 units; this was only half of his first wave however and with the other half he wiped out 10 of my units and took two cities. That game I had saved before collecting bells so I like I said; I just clicked end turn over and over to end the game and won a time victory.

The second wave hit me with no relief and then a third wave hit then I restarted because it was too ridiculously unfair. I had lots of guns and troops but at the rate of decent of my forces I'd have estimated a quick loss nonetheless.

Ok first one dont use the delete tactic..... its stupied and the only advantage u have is that both armies are smaller so the micromanagment is easier. But after a long Marathon game u dont want to miss the fun of a BIG WoI dont u .

No, I don't want to play a marathon game and have a strong force then declare independance and get tromped on by a force 3x or 5x my size.

Ultimately I think alot of people on the boards are spitballing their advice as they haven't yet played enough to know what will always happen in a game situation. I think the genocide tactic mentioned is not the best for me but I'll do it as I'd like to win a WoI instead of a timed victory. I'd rather be attacked by 25-30 units instead of 150.

My opinion is that firaxis needs to do alot of fixing to the AI there are many things wong with game play still. I still love the game though and am playing it constantly, my thought are if they don't get it patched right the mod community will get something better to my liking.

On the upside, I have a new game going and I like the looks of it. Much better planning although alittle gamey but what the hell I'm having fun. I made a game with a custom scenario for South America; landed right away and built a very decent starting city on corn and beside fish. Then the plan has been so far to go 3 to 4 cities directly west inland from there. I have established my manufacturing city and will likely fan out with a city south and north also. The end plan is to have 7 or 8 cities and then maybe even build two more on the coast just to trap some REF troops so I don't get overwhelmed. Once they aatck though I will be very ready with my fortified cities inland as well as troops trained in hill/mountain and jungle tactics. All the coastal cities will need to be retaken as they will fall, not even gonna spend a dime on defense there it's just a waste.

I'll need to likely delete a few or many citizens; I hate the idea of that but it beats the crap out of meeting a force of 150 REF.

Top Bottom