MASSIVE advanced tribes!

greenie

Warlord
I once had a game where I started on a random world, and the first goody hut I ran into was a horseman.

The next 10 were all advanced tribes. No bull. Needless to say, by the birth of Christ I was WELL ahead of the AI, and had a bustling empire that streched near halfway around the world.

Anyone else ever seen the phenomenon of lotsa advanced tribes in a game before?

------------------
- Greenie

" Let us take by
cunning what we would
take by force"

Yeah, this has happened to me before. I know the game randomly generates whatever goodies you'll find when you enter a "goody hut" but I very often have long strings of either Advanced Tribes or barbarians.

The Advanced Tribes *&$%#! me off because they almost always plop themselves down just out of range of great resources, so they're lost to them but they block anyone else from getting them as well. I do not know if that's an intented effect, but whenever I get one I usually can count on exploring a space or two beyond and I'll discover a couple whales or food resources. If the *&^#! city would just move over a space or two, I'd have a city with great resources!

That said, depending on how the game is going I sometimes rectify such idiocies by abandoning the Advanced Tribe city (taking its population off all work and building settlers) and using the resulting settlers to build a better-positioned city. Anyone else do that?

------------------
"...über den Bergen sind auch Leute..."

That said, depending on how the game is going I sometimes rectify such idiocies by abandoning the Advanced Tribe city (taking its population off all work and building settlers) and using the resulting settlers to build a better-positioned city. Anyone else do that?
I do that only when necessary. Often I'll just live with the placement, as it wastes a lot of time/resources building the settlers and resettling the city that could have been spent building something else. It gets harder later in the game when I usually get 3 and 4 population adganced tribes, with a few improvements.

once i was playing the germans on a european map and sent a whole bunch of units to explore east. i found 4 advanced tribes in one turn. two turns later they were all russian.

Greenie,

Never had ten advanced tribes in a row; I have had games where they seem to occur more frequently than otherwise. And I noted some correlation between frequency of advanced tribes and geography: It seemed more likely for an advanced tribe to result from a goody hut when the hut was located one square inland from a coast (thus leaving one with an inability to build a harbor/offshore platform, and thus stuck with underproductive ocean squares).

In your game mentioned above, do your ten tribes tend to confirm this observation?

Originally posted by Vrylakas:
The Advanced Tribes *&$%#! me off because they almost always plop themselves down just out of range of great resources, so they're lost to them but they block anyone else from getting them as well. I do not know if that's an intented effect, but whenever I get one I usually can count on exploring a space or two beyond and I'll discover a couple whales or food resources.

It must be an intended effect. Because goody huts are reflected in the resource seed of any given map, it is designed such that the huts never appear in a location that will have more than two resources; and will usually have only one resource at best, with others just out of the city radius.

I do not know if that's an intented effect, but whenever I get one I usually can count on exploring a space or two beyond

True... This is intended, because the patterns of resources and the patterns of huts are bith linked and fixed. They are not random. Since you cannot get an advanced tribe except in a hut, you are doomed to this fate.

That said, the thing that actually annoys me is the poor positioning in relation to a coastline that often seems to occur. I like cities to have water access if they have more that one water in their radius.

And of course, if you get lots of huts, the overlap pattern is terrible, if you like to plan such things for the long term with precision like I do.

I'd much much much rather have a Nomad than advanced tribe, but the Civ II program has a special subroutine that reads my mind, and explictly frustrates me on this issue... I almost never get a nomad (play deity, except GOTMs), even when I see others getting lots.

Oh well, I'm pretty darned experienced at disbanding advanced tribes these days, and only about 30% are good enough to warrant survival in my normal empires .

Originally posted by Andu Indorin:

It seemed more likely for an advanced tribe to result from a goody hut when the hut was located one square inland from a coast (thus leaving one with an inability to build a harbor/offshore platform, and thus stuck with underproductive ocean squares).

In your game mentioned above, do your ten tribes tend to confirm this observation?

Yes and no.

In this occurance, the land was continental with rather large continents. Some were in b**** places but some were quite well. I'd say it was about 50/50, and with my strategy of the time, I wasn't put too much out of joint.

------------------
- Greenie

" Let us take by
cunning what we would
take by force"

Wow, greenie. Wish I'd have that luck of yours when I play a game on Emperor or Deity!

------------------
And I'm proud to say: 'Ich bin ein Civfanatics Official Reviewer!'

I love having advanced tribes when I play on random maps.

But when I play historic maps I like to play historical, by placing my cities where today's cities are. (I'm obsessed! :p )

So, when it comes to the goody boxes on historical maps, I don't like the advanced tribe feature unless it's where I want a city to be.

You're all probably thinking I'm weird thinking this. I'll put you all out of your misery...I am weird! :goodjob: :lol:

Top Bottom