[Micro-Utility] DefaultPlayers Tweaker

Junuxx

Emperor

I have ceased development and support of DefaultPlayers Tweaker as a seperate application, because it has been absorbed by the Atlas Project. Please see the thread of Atlas or my site for more information

--- Original post preserved below. The version with the source code remains available. ---

Hey all!

I just wrote a really small tool to quickly change the default number of players on each map size.

Q: What's different in version 1.1?
A: When the program starts or the settings are applied, the controls now show the current settings instead of the default settings. Also, I added a 'Run Civ' button and some comments in the code.

Q: Hey, why do I need this? Can't I use the Custom Map option if I want to set the number of civs manually?
A: Yes, that's right, you can. But apart from saving you the hassle of setting 10 sliders from 'off' to 'AI', there's another purpose:

On maps/scenario's that have random starting locations, the number of civs in game didn't correspond with the number of starting locations placed. For example, on a huge map like this one with 18 starting locations, only 11 civs would appear.
By using this tool you can fix that.

Those of you who have tried to make a scenario like this know what I mean. If you feel able to explain this more clearly, please do :)

There's a readme file in the download. If you're interested, you can choose the package with the source code, the whole amazing 170 lines of it ;)

Q: Okay, but er, wait, doesn't this modify the original game files?
A: Yes it does. It edits one original file, CIV4WorldInfo.xml. But the tool ships with it's own backup file and an extremely easy restore function. So no worries.

Q:Anything else I need to know?
A: Well, it's already in the readme, but you should put the files in the folder \Assets\XML\GameInfo. Otherwise it won't work. If you feel very organized you can put a shortcut to DTP.jar in a Civ tools map like this:

See you! :king:

Junuxx

Version 1.1 was downloaded 203 times

Version 1.0 was downloaded 76 times[/size]

Attachments

• DPT_with_code.zip
    8.8 KB · Views: 449
Thank you :)

I actually made this tool for this map/scenario. It's a much better experience after using this tool!

I will make some fixes and maybe include some other options for editing the same file, but version 1.1 will be final I think.

Ok, version 1.1 is there. It's better, go get it! :)

I'm pretty much done with this program by the way, but I hope the code will inspire some people to make their own tweakers, because it's really very easy :)

Feedback is welcome though!!!

I picked up a nice idea somewhere on the boards. A button to randomize the number of players would be fun. So that you don't know how many civs are "out there".

Anyone interested in adding this feature? You got the code... ;)

Thanks Junuxx, I was really getting tired on large maps that I didnt want to play 11 players on. Having to close all those player positions was really annoying. Much apreciated.

Otterbear said:
Thanks Junuxx, I was really getting tired on large maps that I didnt want to play 11 players on. Having to close all those player positions was really annoying. Much apreciated.

I assumed for no reason that people would mostly use this tool for getting 18 players. But of course, this is just as good a use :lol:

Do you think I should change the 'Start Civ' button so that it also applies the current settings? I'm afraid it isn't very clear that it doesn't... :mischief: :blush:

That might be an option...it worked for me, however I didnt notice right away just when the settings changed (was doing a lot of debuging):)

This utility is now also officially stopped in development.
However, because I partially intended it to be a tutorial to make a simple xml-editor, the download with the (commented) source code remains available.

It's a nice challenge people who have followed an introductory course to Java, I think. (some java know-how is required)

Top Bottom