• Other

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ohwell

Deity
How shall we deal with Rome?

Some Reminders:

-Our defense in some cities is weak, limited to obsolete phalanx formations.

Rome is easily accesible to our close nation

We have little offensive capabilities

Here is our possible unit build orders:

Attachments

• cornmaster.jpg
    cornmaster.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 137
The Zulu city is of far greater concern. We also don't know for sure where the rest of Rome is, nor what they're tech level is. I like a little more info before I go to war. I think we should shore up our defenses a bit, especially coastal cities near the Roman continent, and try to explore a bit to get a better idea where they are and maybe their tech level. In the meantime, build up a good attack force and the triremes to carry it. At that point we can decide how best to utilize it. No need to committ ourselves at this early point.

Originally posted by Leowind
The Zulu city is of far greater concern. We also don't know for sure where the rest of Rome is, nor what they're tech level is. I like a little more info before I go to war. I think we should shore up our defenses a bit, especially coastal cities near the Roman continent, and try to explore a bit to get a better idea where they are and maybe their tech level. In the meantime, build up a good attack force and the triremes to carry it. At that point we can decide how best to utilize it. No need to committ ourselves at this early point.

Precisely why I included an "other".

This is not an up-front descision, it is just to see the general attitude toward our actions. I say other, we can investigate their cities and steal techs now to determine their scinece level.

Well, I voted for other. I don't see a need for an "all out" strategy for offense, defense, or buying. I think that we can be precise with our movements.

We have Olympia and Hippoville that can switch units to crusaders (away from the pikes that they're building). With 3-4 crusaders they can pretty much take on just about any pre-gunpowder unit going - especially if we can get them to veteran status. The only real exception would be a vet pikeman behind city walls.

I can understand the desire to know more, and perhaps a quick embassy set-up would be nice. However, I would support a quick strike on the Roman city that we can see (could it be more poorly placed by the way? Stupid AI) and run a few of our extra pikemen to fortify.

With crusaders and the AI being pre-gunpowder this is a great chance to expand the empire by takeovers.

Untill we get to Gunpowder, strickly defensive.

Actually, Kev makes a good point (twice I've agreed with him in 5 minutes--hope I'm not setting a precedent ;) ). This may be a good opportunity to make a quick strike, but ONLY if we have enough Crusaders to do the job in one turn AND enough pikes to fortify the city immediately once taken. Damaged Crusaders make very poor defenders :)

We don't *necessarily* need an embassy, but poke around the coasts a little more throughly to at least estimate where some of the other cities are would be helpful.

We shld maintain a fluid policy, rather than devote ourselves strictly to any particular plan. If the opportunity comes up, take the Roman city but otherwise maintain more defense in those cities that need it.

If we take that Roman city, we may need to take the whole island as well, if only to keep the Romans fr always entangling themselves into our domains.

only defence until cannons and musketeers

ARRRGGGGG!!! I think you all overestimate the AI - even on Emperor.

This is such a good time to take a city or two by force. In a monarchy with crusaders pre-gunpowder. As we wait for ourselves to get gunpowder and/or Leo's, by the time we decide on any movement we'll likely be in a Republic and have to worry then about happiness and the annoying senate.

We have so many defensive units around that it would be easy to throw a few in newly taken cities and home them there. Could be the answer instead of disbanding some of these units.

Ah well, but such is the democratic process. :)

If this is the decision, then I suggest that the diplo leader gets a poll up and request that we constantly try for peace with the Romans. So long as we don't give anything up, it would be the better choice since we won't be attacking them. This way we don't accidently lose a ship or unit to Roman units we didn't know were there.

It could give us the opportunity to demand tribute later on as well.

Originally posted by Kev
ARRRGGGGG!!! I think you all overestimate the AI - even on Emperor.

This is such a good time to take a city or two by force. In a monarchy with crusaders pre-gunpowder. As we wait for ourselves to get gunpowder and/or Leo's, by the time we decide on any movement we'll likely be in a Republic and have to worry then about happiness and the annoying senate.

We have so many defensive units around that it would be easy to throw a few in newly taken cities and home them there. Could be the answer instead of disbanding some of these units.

Ah well, but such is the democratic process. :)

If this is the decision, then I suggest that the diplo leader gets a poll up and request that we constantly try for peace with the Romans. So long as we don't give anything up, it would be the better choice since we won't be attacking them. This way we don't accidently lose a ship or unit to Roman units we didn't know were there.

It could give us the opportunity to demand tribute later on as well.

You know, I've played MANY games on emperor, and I can tell you...

Kev is correct. Darn correct. I agree. :goodjob:

I like to take my opponents out one after the other. Let's keep it quiet at the Roman front and first deal with the mongols, when we have killed them then we take on the Romans.

I agree with kev and Juize ,while we are at monarchy the we are at very good condition's for engaging in a small war with a limited goal.The goal would be 1 city or at most two at the southern shore the continent ,near to our capital and TheholyDuckPond.

Top Bottom