Mod Merge?

Banira

Chieftain
I've been playing Col and have found various mods great (i extend a big thank-you to the creators!). I was wondering recently if it would it be worthwhile to merge some of the mods?

if so, is anyone currently working on it?

a merge i would like to see would be something like:

-Age of discovery2 (pending some fixes to pirates...!?)
-Land of our Fathers (i think this portugal should override AOD2 bc the traits are more differentiated imo)
-patchmod
-faireweather maps
-JAnimals mod

-not so sure about triangle trade because of the radical changes proposed (plantations replacing core features)

graphics can kind of be added by people independently to the mod pretty easily, so i didn't consider those inclusions...this is not btw something i am proposing to do, just checking if there is a few people thinking about it

Patch is included in AoD2. But Trade Triangle would be nice to have.

as Zuul said, Patchmod 1.07's fixes are used as the base for both AOD 2 and Land of our Fathers, so essentially they are merged already.

I'd like to add some more piracy elements but at the moment they appear 'buggy' so am a bit reluctant ... I'm also trying to find a way to get slaves in, just trying to work ot how to do it best ... not sure about animals ... new maps are also interesting and would be an easy addition, I'll have to look at that :)

Yes, I'm thinking it's time for a "standard" mod now too. I would throw in some graphical ones too, such as jeckel's trade route adviser mod and koma's European screen. I dunno why I love that last one so much, but sailing to Europe just to find a brown screen REALLY rubs me the wrong way :)

I haven't tried the Land of our Father's mod yet. But after looking at it extensively while at work (;)) I think I'll try it soon.

... not sure about animals ...

i wasn't sure either, but i thought they would be useful for scouts or colonists (if they had a strength of 1) to gain some xp and potentially disrupt easy expansion... this is why i liked the idea of skirmish rogue indians who don't trigger war, with a strength of 1 in the other thread..

a variation i thought of with wild animals, is that they "own" a square and must be "dislodged" before the square could go into use...again this would make it a little more interesting development wise. the wild animals don't necessarily have to have any movement (they could be a defensive unit sort of), or they could move very rarely

Patchmod is already in AoDII and LooF. The Fairweather map script can be used with any mod, no need for a merge.

No, we need a mod merge so that a community can be built around a single standard "patch." Right now everyone is playing a different game. It's hard to compare strategies or have storyline games when one person has patchmod, another has Age of Discovery and another is using Land of our Fathers. It would be nice if we had a standard mod that could almost be considered vanilla Col2. A new player comes to the forums asking for help and we can direct him to Standard Mod (tm).

It would be even nicer if the actual game could serve as that baseline but well...

At least that's what I think.

P.S. - I know that Patchmod *almost* fulfills that role. Not quite though. Things like the faireweather maps and the jtrading screen need to be added (IMHO).

at last update I've included in LooF (v1.3):

Redesigned founding fathers
Patchmod (v1.07)
Portugal playable nation
FaireWeather maps
new Europe screens (v3)
classic col1 music score

Land of our Fathers v1.3: released 9th December 2008 32Mb - on 2shared.com (click the 'click here' link bottom right part of screen)

Top Bottom