[BTS] Mods eliminating scoreboard religion icon in v3.19 on Steam

Absolution

King
I didn't post it to bug reports as this seems to be a known issue, with a partial solution found.
I just would like to ask the community to try and fix this, if they can.
In case it still doesn't qualify for this subform, please move it.

-----------------

TL;DR - Can any modder here think of a way to solve it? Maybe an alternative Python mechanism for a State Religion in a Scoreboard, parallel to the Firaxis default?

----------

I researched for a while to see that the following is a known issue, but it seems like there has been very limited discussion about it around the web.

Some mods, including RevolutionDCM, fail to show a state religion icon on the scoreboard.
It has nothing to do with the BUG Advanced Scoreboard, as it works fine when I load BUG on my plain BtS.
I also tried re-installing RevolutionDCM a few times and nothing changed.

I saw the following explaination on another site, in relation to another mod which apparently has this bug as well.
Spoiler Special note for Steam users :
A while ago, the online internet service Gamespy has shut down, and Firaxis have released a patch to be able to continue to play online using Steam. While this is a wonderful news, they also introduced a bug which prevents the religion icon to be displayed into the score (at the right bottom of the ingame screen). Yet, they allow to use the old patch.
  • Show your steam games list
  • Right click on “Sid Meier’s Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword”, then properties.
  • Go in the “Betas” tab, then select “original_release_unsupported” in the dropdown menu.
  • The game will revert back to the old patch (you can select back “none” if you want to revert this move).

Note : You won’t be able to play in the matchmaker online with this Steam patch but you’ll still be able to play by direct IP with your friends or with players with the CD version (v3.19).

Do I really have to downgrade my game and give up 3.19's benefits in order to see a state religions in these mods' scoreboards?
Does it happen in any case? Or should I go further to re-installing my Bts, Steam, or to refresh my PC to possibly solve it?

Or any alternative solution for a State Religion Icon?

Thanks for any help!

Do I really have to downgrade my game and give up 3.19's benefits in order to see a state religions in these mods' scoreboards?
You "downgrade" TO 3.19 and not bellow. You loose Steam compatibility only.
At least this is what I know from others but I never had the steam version.

The issue is that Gamespy closed. Civ4 was then updated to support a different way to find people to play with on multiplayer. It was supposed to change nothing else, but the update wasn't done nicely as it removed direct IP gaming (like on a LAN) as well as causing mod incompatibility issues in a way mods can't update to fix. After a backlash they offered the previous version as a beta. The same is true for Civ4Colonization (same engine). I highly recommend using the beta (aka original version) if you want to use any mod.

3.19 is an unofficial update and it is based on the newest patched version of BTS (pre-steam). The new steam version doesn't include all the fixes included in 3.19, meaning steam is the downgrade.

The issue is that Gamespy closed. Civ4 was then updated to support a different way to find people to play with on multiplayer. It was supposed to change nothing else, but the update wasn't done nicely as it removed direct IP gaming (like on a LAN) as well as causing mod incompatibility issues in a way mods can't update to fix. After a backlash they offered the previous version as a beta. The same is true for Civ4Colonization (same engine). I highly recommend using the beta (aka original version) if you want to use any mod.

3.19 is an unofficial update and it is based on the newest patched version of BTS (pre-steam). The new steam version doesn't include all the fixes included in 3.19, meaning steam is the downgrade.
So just to make sure I got it right - if I use that beta version, I would not lose any patched content or updates that I was used to have in my current 3.19?
What are the differences other than the religious icon? Is there a log somewhere?
(I play only Single Player so no need for any details about the Multiplayer features)

And also - how would it affect mod compatibility? Complex mods that were built on my current 3.19 patch, or they work perfectly on the beta version?

Last edited:
Top Bottom