[vanilla] Mods straight up not working

Slatacus

Chieftain
I have never used mods on CIV5 before and thought I'd give it a go. I have encountered a strange issue though, where no mods seem to work at all. Clearly I'm doing something wrong. Point me in the right direction? Assuming I uploaded the images correctly, you will see that I am enabling the mod (I just picked one as an example, I've tried several), I have selected single player from the mods section (I already know it won't work from main menu), I select set up game, and then do not see the mod at all in the game. I tried it from my kid's computer too to see if it was a version issue or something. I've reinstalled the game completely after deleting all traces of it, so I don't think it's a cache issue. The Lua log and modding log have nothing in them. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Attachments

• enabled.PNG
    enabled.PNG
    357.6 KB · Views: 43
  • singleplayer.PNG
    singleplayer.PNG
    306.5 KB · Views: 44
  • setupgame.PNG
    setupgame.PNG
    274.7 KB · Views: 60
  • nothere.PNG
    nothere.PNG
    578.3 KB · Views: 47
Assuming the mod loaded, Edward would be below those leaders shown (as the list is alphabetical). If he's not "off-screen", make sure you have logging enabled (see the link in my sig) and attach the database and lua logs

Assuming the mod loaded, Edward would be below those leaders shown (as the list is alphabetical). If he's not "off-screen", make sure you have logging enabled (see the link in my sig) and attach the database and lua logs

Aha! Yes. Thank you. Now it is logging. I knew it had to be a simple parameter or something like that. The mods still aren't working, however. See anything in the logs that has any meaning?

Attachments

• Database.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Lua.txt
    12 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
All of these are coming from your mod(s)

Code:
[167026.515] table UnitPromotions has no column named HasPostCombatPromotions
[167026.531] no such table: Civilization_Religions
[167026.546] Database::XMLSerializer (Art/Graphics/civ5artdefines_viseffects.xml): 'Row' or 'Delete' expected, got 'Name'.
[167026.546] Database::XMLSerializer (Lua/MCIS/CityInfoStack.xml): 'Row' or 'Delete' expected, got 'Button'.
[167026.890] Invalid Reference on Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides.BuildingType - "BUILDING_GT_CENTRAL_ARENA" does not exist in Buildings
[167026.906] Invalid Reference on Civilization_CityNames.CityName - "TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CIVILIZATION_GT_SOVIET_UNION_32" does not exist in Language_en_US
[167026.906] Invalid Reference on Civilization_Leaders.LeaderheadType - "LEADER_GT_CHERNENKO" does not exist in Leaders
[167026.906] Invalid Reference on Civilization_UnitClassOverrides.UnitType - "UNIT_GT_BMP2" does not exist in Units
[167027.000] Invalid Reference on Leader_Flavors.LeaderType - "LEADER_TRANQ_ENGLAND_EDWARDI" does not exist in Leaders

You need to track each one down and fix it.

A SINGLE mistake in an XML file causes the ENTIRE XML file to be rejected, so fix them in order, as some later ones may be being caused by earlier ones

You also have at least three Lua errors
Code:
TranquilSilence's England (Edward I) (v 1)\Lua\TranqEdLua.lua:22: bad argument #2 to '?' (Key must be of type 'number' or 'string'.)
Grant's Soviet Union (Konstantin Chernenko) (v 1)\Lua/ChernenkoFunctions.lua:250: table index is nil
Grant's Soviet Union (Konstantin Chernenko) (v 1)\Lua/ChernenkoFunctions.lua:63: bad argument #2 to '?' (Key must be of type 'number' or 'string'.)

Last edited:
Interesting. I figured that these, being mods available on the steam workshop, would be free of errors. I don't actually have any special attachment to these. I was just attempting to see if I could make a mod work. I will see if I can find or maybe just make a mod that will work.

Update: i got rid of everything and just made a simple mod that only does one thing, spawns 3 settlers at the beginning of the game. Getting this error:

[262988.609] near "update": syntax error
[262988.609] In Query - insert into update('CivilizationType', 'UnitClassType', 'Count', 'UnitAIType') values (?, ?, ?, ?);
[262988.609] In XMLSerializer while updating table update from file Civilization/Civilization_America.xml.
[262988.812] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[262989.218] Passed Validation.
[262989.406]

Update: Ahah!!!! I got it working!!! My silly little simple mod works! In the xml I made, I didn't need <Update>, I needed to specify the table, namely <civilization_freeunits>. I monkeyed with it until it worked. Thank you for helping me get started! The sky is the limit from here!!!!

Attachments

• Database.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Civilization_America.xml
    338 bytes · Views: 33
Last edited:
While some of CivV is not case-sensitive, parts of it are, so it's good idea to get into the habit of keeping the case of components of the game as they are in the standard files, so UNITCLASS_SETTLER and CIVILIZATION_AMERICA

Part of your problem is that you say you are running Vanilla in the thread description but database.log is reporting errors from attempts to use column or table names that are not valid for Vanilla. They were added to the game by Gods & Kings or Brave New World and you have to have the correct expansion(s) running in order to use any mods that make use of these columns. Usually this is mentioned in the mod description page but most mod makers do not add the requirement directly in the code of the mod -- they just assume having the Steam Workshop box checked will keep people who do not have the needed expansion from even bothering to subscribe to the mod.

Very few mod creators are writing mods that are Vanilla-safe (or G&K safe for that matter) anymore -- they are writing mods that require Brave New World.

Part of your problem is that you say you are running Vanilla in the thread description but database.log is reporting errors from attempts to use column or table names that are not valid for Vanilla. They were added to the game by Gods & Kings or Brave New World and you have to have the correct expansion(s) running in order to use any mods that make use of these columns. Usually this is mentioned in the mod description page but most mod makers do not add the requirement directly in the code of the mod -- they just assume having the Steam Workshop box checked will keep people who do not have the needed expansion from even bothering to subscribe to the mod.

Very few mod creators are writing mods that are Vanilla-safe (or G&K safe for that matter) anymore -- they are writing mods that require Brave New World.

Makes sense. Like I said, I was just grabbing things to see if anything would work but obviously I didn't pay enough attention. I appreciate your help and patience. I seem to be on my way now as the changes I am making are showing up in game (it also helps that I realized everything is, in fact, case sensitive). Thanks again.

While some of CivV is not case-sensitive, parts of it are, so it's good idea to get into the habit of keeping the case of components of the game as they are in the standard files, so UNITCLASS_SETTLER and CIVILIZATION_AMERICA

This is very good advice. I was being lazy about this until the logs helped me realize how stupid I was being. Thanks again.

Top Bottom