[GS] Most OP Civ?

Funny thing is the Aztecs uniques also mitigate the small limiting factors huge empires face. More amenities per luxury help you stay ecstatic. A UB with useful yields means building lots of EDs is a solid choice which also keeps cities ecstatic. The worker build charge contributes a % to new districts which mitigates the prohibitive cost of late game districts (especially if you can get away with not building any workers until feudalism).

I'm leaning towards them being the most synergistic of the early rush civs since they can rush and build infrastructure at the same time and their other abilities make maintaining a wide empire easy.

The question is really how late game civlization can actually ever become comptetive? If somebody rush and gets ahead it don't matter if you have stronger late game bonuses since you can't simply compete with an empire several times your size.

Nobody seems to fear or even care about civs such as America reaching the late game, so the question is really if late game bonus is pretty much like not having a bonus at all.

Aztecs, Sumeria, Rome and others that are considered to be the strongest civilizations tend to share a playstyle that support an very early rush, Sumeria is simply loaded with bonuses and can even ignore campuses and still do well in science, aztecs can get alot of builder to rush build districts + combat bonuses from amentiies keeping an dated army relevant for much longer and snowball Heavy with conquest while Rome gets road and monuments which make them go through Civic tree super quickly without needing any Culture investment while being able to move around their army quickly.

At the same time other civs get next to no relevant bonus and these are generally ranked as much worse civs, no matter what their bonuses are.

The question is really how late game civlization can actually ever become comptetive? I
Victoria does very well with an industrial era start.
The OP hints that the start era is irrelevant, it is about how good are you with your abilities.
We're talking 30 production on one hansa (with the double adjacency card).
Victoria can get 30 production off one shipyard
... 10 production from an aerodrome for goodness sake, I will not delve into IZ’s...not only does she get the buildings cheap but +4 factories are rather nice.
Of course @Sostratus can get 80 prod off a Hansa if IRC

Last edited:
Of course @Sostratus can get 80 prod off a Hansa if IRC
I think pure24 is referring to just the adjacency.
On a +15 hansa I demonstrated you could get 111:c5production: from one district. Now, if we strip off 10 of that due to tesla + magnus (he boosts power plant production) only being allowed in one city, that's still giving you 101.
Which would only be 71 if you weren't in a modern era or later dark age. That's more than many civ's endgame cities that have mines and such rolling.

But, as I said in the 6th post of this thread, you only need 3 cities now, in a pretty easy to achieve configuration, and everything can be set up at population size 1. German efficiency.

Victoria does very well with an industrial era start.
The number of free +4 yields she can get is really strong. And apply ye olde building cards to juice it further... WotW is such an amazing ability.

Clearly it's the Khmer. That mechanism they introduced in the last patch whereby Khmer Elephants can carry their Aqueducts to drown enemy cities made all the difference.

I am not sure if there is a single most overpowered civ, which is a good thing. There are civs which will rush ahead if not stopped very early (such as Korea), there are civs which are exceptionally good at doing such early rushes (such as Sumeria, Aztecs and Nubia), and there are civs which will become very powerful once they reach a certain point in their game (such as Germany). Then there are some which are exceptionally strong given the right conditions, such as the Inca or even Norway.

I think Firaxis deserves some recognition for their civ design this time around, it is really rather good.

Forget the hansa and English shipyards... Terrace farms with freshwater need a nerf!
So broken since you can build this at the start and even more so if you get a free builder from ruins

Terrace farms with freshwater need a nerf!
So broken since you can build this at the start and even more so if you get a free builder from ruins
Can you even imagine being one of those failing civs that was confined to 2 dimensional agriculture? The horror!

Terrace farms have to go on hills* which means they already had 1 production on the tile, this makes them 2. Or you know, much more with aqueducts.
Just like civ5, it's the incan ability to start in a high base production terrain in the first place and have a method to garner the food to work it that makes them so good. Mines don't put bread on the table.
I actually think inca gets too much food and some of their food bonuses should be redirected elsewhere since you almost cannot make use of it. (If the trade route bonus was for :c5production: instead of :c5food: they would be the most OP civ imo)
But ultimately they need the right terrain, and Hansa et al. civs can be much more terrain agnostic.

*you can build terrace farms on flat volcanic soil tiles. A wonderful trick for volcanoes out in the tundra or snow.

Top Bottom