Multiplayer map mulligan

paradigmx

Say yes to Steam
I know it's far too late to implement this into vanilla Civ V, but I though of an idea today.

When playing a multiplayer game, have everyone finish their first turn, and then a vote screen comes up, if more than 2-3 people vote mulligan than the map is regenerated and the players start their first turn again.

I think this would be great to equalize starting conditions a little more, sometimes you just get stuck on a generated map that's placed you in a position that you know would not work well, it would be nice to have the ability to get a second chance at a new start.

I agree that something like this would have been nice.

And I also agree that it's too late now. ^^

Maybe it will be implemented as option together with future multiplayer modes, who knows. Would be cool though.

Wouldn't that be rubbish if you constantly get a good place and have to reload cause of a few people, and when the votes passes you have an average or at least your most rubbish start place out of the ones you've seen. The words rage quit for some people....

There should be no mulligans unless everyone agrees (you need to use chat to agree), or just tick on balanced start and the code could be better this time round for not screwing you over.

Yep, agreed.
My friends and me used something like this regardless if it was implemented or not. Simply does not make much sense for us to start a game of which we know it will last about 10-20 hours when the beginning for one of us is already crap and he has a low motivation to go through it.

I generally believe that this would be used to grief given my knowledge of multiplayers in the Civ world. So, I would be pretty strongly opposed to it.

Again with this; yes, we could have a billion options for the host in staging. But if it's not necessary then it becomes a tedious hindrance while adding little to the game. I had this same argument over non-simultaneous turns. Your ultimate goal isn't to have as many options as possible; it's to make a more pleasant gaming experience for the median gamer.

If you really want to play like this, there is nothing stopping you and your friends from starting up a new game if 2-3 are unhappy with it. There doesn't need to be a formal in-game vote for it.

...but what if that terrible start leads to your best victory ever? Wouldn't you hate to miss out on that? Besides, the Cro-Magnon never got a do-over.

I liked how Fall from Heaven started your first settler with a couple of movement and sight promotions. If your starting area was trash, it was very easy to find a better one in a few turns, and the lost turns were somewhat mitigated by the extra scouting (early exploration was hard in FFH).

Top Bottom