[BNW] Multiplayer voting for AI question

In MP are players allowed to vote for an AI Civ for the World Leader making all human players lose

• 1. This is not allowed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Yes but the player who does this loses

• 3. Yes but then the winner is determined by score

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 4. Yes and it results in a draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mathjohnk

Chieftain
I have a question about a possible scenario in multiplayer that seems to ruin the game. Consider for example two people playing Civilization V 1 vs 1. After about 3/4 of the game, one of the players is clearly losing and has mostly given up hope of winning. That player has 24 delegates for the world congress and one of the AI civs has 16. In order to prevent the other player from winning the game, this player throws all 24 delegates to the AI Civ, resulting in 40 votes. The AI Civ wins the game with a world leader victory and both players are notified that they lost. The person who did this claims that the game is a draw. The other player says that is ridiculous and unfair and it amount to forfeiting the game. Another related scenario which is even easier is when there are for example 5 players. One player is doing extremely well, the other four poorly. So the four players collect their delegates and vote for an AI Civ making everyone playing lose including the top player.

There appears to be no rule which says this is not allowable. The problem is that it is so easy to do making it almost impossible for anyone to win the game. If one player has been working for a diplomatic victory for example and has been doing even a mediocre job doing that, they would still have enough delegates to throw the game preventing the other player from winning.

My question: Should this be allowed, and if so under what circumstances? If it is allowed, what does it mean. Does the person who votes for the AI lose the game? Should the score of the players determine the winner? Is it a draw? I realize such behavior will be frowned upon, but my question is a more technical one about what should be allowed and what such an action implies about who wins.

Last edited:
It seems to me it should be easy to negotiate this before the game.
The main principle of the game should be: Use all ethical means to win the game. If the weaker players don't get anything by voting for AI (and in your cases they don't) then that's not OK. If they gain something (Like for example you are about to win, by they found out that by voting for AI the game will continue), then it should be allowed.

Top Bottom