My Mailbag

Kael

Deity
I never know what I will find in my PM's. This is the latest. Is anyone here about to tell me what this means and perhaps help this guy?

Ïðèâåò, Êàåë

Ñêà÷àë Fall from Heaven 2, 179 Ìá. Ïîñòàâèë. Öèâèëèçàöèÿ ïðè ïåðåêëþ÷åíèè íà ìîä çàïðîñèëà êàê îáû÷íî ðåñòàðò. Íàæàë ÎÊ. Ïîñëå ýòîãî íè÷åãî íå ïðîèçîøëî. Ïðîöåññ Civilization 4.exe îñòàëñÿ âèñåòü â ïàìÿòè è çàíèìàòü 90% âðåìåíè, íî íè÷åãî íå ïðîèñõîäèëî.

Î÷åíü îáèäíî. Õîòåëîñü ïîèãðàòü.

Ó ìåíÿ ñòîèò ïàò÷ 1.61.

Ñ Óâàæåíèåì Ìèõàèë.

PS: Åñëè ìîæíî, äàé, ïæëñò, îòâåò ïî ýòîìó àäðåñó: http://civru.com/index.php?id=2218&action=discuss

My guess (from the link) is that it's in Russian. Hopefully someone that has a Cyrillic font installed and understands the language happens upon this.

free online translation from http://translation2.paralink.com/

Greetings, Kael

Skachal Fall from Heaven 2, 179 Mb. Has put. The civilization at switching on fashions has requested as usually restart. Has pressed OK. After that nothing has occured. Process Civilization 4.exe has remained to hang in memory and to borrow 90 % of time, but nothing occured.

It is very insulting. It would be desirable to play.

I have patch 1.61.

Yours faithfully Michael.

PS: If it is possible, give, pzhlst, the answer to this address

My translation of that:

Greetings, Kael
I downloaded Fall from Heaven 2, 179 Mb. I installed it. As normal, the game asks to restart when I load a mod. I clicked OK. After that nothing happens. Task manager shows that Civilization 4.exe is running and it uses 90% of the processor, but nothing happens.

I'm annoyed. I want to play your mod.
I have a patch 1.61.

Yours faithfully,
Michael.

PS: If it is possible, please respond with help.

I'd say Michael has problems getting FfH to start.
Either the non-enough-memory for the large mod size issue , or he isn't patient enough.

I'd tell him something like this:

Ваша проблема является, или Вы не имеете достаточного количества машинной памяти, или Вы не достаточно долго ждете этого, чтобы загрузить.

(Your problem is either you do not have enough computer memory or you are not waiting long enough for it to load.)

Yeah, sounds like the same issue I have on my laptop - namely I have to wait at least 5 minutes before it starts up after loading the mod.

Are there any russian speakers who can respond on the forum and pass along my apologies for being unable to answer directly?

On Multinationalism:

Wow, i find it great that people of the entire world wish to partake in not only software entertainment developed in english, but the community itself is out to support and continously grow in multiculturalism so as to enjoy a game together. If earth is ever to be "one" community and travel to the stars, my belief is that it will start with fantasy, science fiction, and video game fans.

With one voice,
-Qes

QES said:
On Multinationalism:

Wow, i find it great that people of the entire world wish to partake in not only software entertainment developed in english, but the community itself is out to support and continously grow in multiculturalism so as to enjoy a game together. If earth is ever to be "one" community and travel to the stars, my belief is that it will start with fantasy, science fiction, and video game fans.

With one voice,
-Qes

We have the first generation capable of non-insular "non-nationalistic" thought. Our first opportunity for people to stop seeing their peers in other countries as faceless stereotyped masses and as the people they meet and become friends with through internet forums, online games and chat rooms.

Who would have suspected that young generations raised to hate each other and eventually shot and kill each other could be brought together by video games where they meet and play at shooting and killing each other.

Kael said:
We have the first generation capable of non-insular "non-nationalistic" thought. Our first opportunity for people to stop seeing their peers in other countries as faceless stereotyped masses and as the people they meet and become friends with through internet forums, online games and chat rooms.

Unfortunately that's only true for the western world. You still see the same stereotyping towards muslims, and I don't see much Africans, Indians, Chinese, Japanese... around here.

M@ni@c said:
Unfortunately that's only true for the western world. You still see the same stereotyping towards muslims, and I don't see much Africans, Indians, Chinese, Japanese... around here.

It's not complete, but it's improving. Far better than none at all, in any case.

M@ni@c said:

I think its moving the right way. And despite setbacks that incite a short term reaction against one group or another I see much less prejudice in my children and their peers than I did in my generation, which was less than that of my parents generation.

I really think the internet, or more correctly the open exchange of ideas between people around the world, is a huge contribution to that. Just as widespread literature and reading exposed us to global ideas and concerns the internet has the opportunity to do so at a much more personal level.

We can now oggle beautiful women of all cultural backgrounds and races.

Kael said:
I think its moving the right way. And despite setbacks that incite a short term reaction against one group or another I see much less prejudice in my children and their peers than I did in my generation, which was less than that of my parents generation.

I really think the internet, or more correctly the open exchange of ideas between people around the world, is a huge contribution to that. Just as widespread literature and reading exposed us to global ideas and concerns the internet has the opportunity to do so at a much more personal level.

For the record I'm half Thai/White (We dunno what dad is... honest... mutt or something). So I wander over to Thailand periodically to see family (every summer). Most of the kids I've met there seem pretty comfortable with the american setting I grew up in. I'll agree with you there Kael, I think my peers and I are more willing to give people a chance first.

Though a funny thing: I've noticed that as I transitioned from High School to college, things most definitely started splitting up. Perhaps a social thing?

Whatever, it's late and I'm rambling...

And ugly women too, if that's what you're into. $DEITY bless the internet.

Kael said:
Who would have suspected that young generations raised to hate each other and eventually shot and kill each other could be brought together by video games where they meet and play at shooting and killing each other.

Here here. And they say violent games promote violence.... those willing to explore fantasy, fiction, and the like are willing to dream. And while they dream of better days, and play out the bad, they recognize the difference, and this wisdom affords them the discernment necessary to be the best of citizens in any world.

-Qes

Sareln said:
For the record I'm half Thai/White (We dunno what dad is... honest... mutt or something). So I wander over to Thailand periodically to see family (every summer). Most of the kids I've met there seem pretty comfortable with the american setting I grew up in. I'll agree with you there Kael, I think my peers and I are more willing to give people a chance first.

Though a funny thing: I've noticed that as I transitioned from High School to college, things most definitely started splitting up. Perhaps a social thing?

Whatever, it's late and I'm rambling...

Highschool? Being young and stupid is necessary and common to all cultures. How that stupidity manifests itself can be hate, which is sad and unfortunate, but everything changes. Kael is right, each generation the world shrinks, as it does so, ignorance becomes more difficult to maintain, and taught predjudices fade. Expereince-formed predjudice becomes more prevelant, but through equal/opposite experiance it is easily disuaded.
-Qes

Kael said:

Bravo, very well said.

Kael said:

Thats why the tech Planetary Communication System is required to research, Planetary Language, which with other techs are required to research Unified Culture. ;)

(In my mod interstellar colonization)

EDIT:

On the other hand, some people seem to lack emphathy and stop realizing that the other person behind a game or forum ID is an actual Human person. Or because its online, the same ethics and rules no longer apply (to them).
They laugh at people taking their lifes over something trivial (like a game), when they really dont know the whole picture. They call people newbs, and are egoistic about things like how to get better at a game for instance. They dont care about the other persons feelings (i.e. lack of emphathy) when they say things. Etc.
And I notice some of this behaviour in real life aswell, because of their behaviour on the web/in online game.

Well, the team has at least one Irish-Norwegian, two Germans, Americans literally from sea to shining sea, and a Canadian. We seem to get along well enough:D

Top Bottom