1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

My Tatic- If u want to win

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Strategy & Tips' started by kovalie, Jul 1, 2002.

1. kmad

kmad King

Sarcasm is a lost art

2. ferrarix310

ferrarix310 Chieftain

I have a problem. i always here about how people have up to 20 or more citys. how do they do it? the highest ive ever been up to is about 9 or 10. that is probably pathetic to some players but i never usually have the time to build settlers. i always have to build some armys or improvements because i'm at war or something. thanks to those who help.

3. sethos

sethos no allies

It's easy: Send the first two settlers a city builds to found new cities. The third will build roads, mine and irrigate. The number of your cities will increase exponentially.
    Your exploring units (horsemen, chariots) will soon find wandering nomads (NONE-settlers). Let them found cities, too. And these units will find advanced tribes (=new cities). Let them be the ancestors of other cities.

In deity mode, soon the first inhabitant of a city will revolt. Make him an entertainer. Build Michelangelo's as soon as possible (learn about caravans helping to build wonders!).
    Expand. Expand. Expand.

4. ArmOrAttAk

ArmOrAttAk Warlord

Around here anyway kmad :(

5. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

Sarcasm is nigh impossible on forums like these. You've posted thrice before and come up with some wonderfully sarcastic bon mot, but how the hell is anyone here supposed to tell whether you are being sarcastic or really are just dumb? If you look at the different forums even only on this site then you will find a huge range of people who all believe in different things. Something you say to take the mick may be true for them and until you are well known by everyone then it is not worth using sarcasm. If you want to, then the accepted form is to [sarcasm]lay it on with a trowel[/sarcasm]. Thus. :)

6. Sodak

Sodak Paha Sapa Papa

The poor ;) smilie seems to be getting ignored! :(

ArmorAttack, your sarcasm was noted by some. :D

7. kovalie

kovalie Chieftain

ArmOrAttAk, I dont under stand:-

Do you people recognize This dude came in here spouting big sht. Was pretty funny doing it too. I tried to keep him going but some people I reckon never read a name on a thread, just post post post no bother reading blah
    This could've been a great comedy thread -sigh-

Am I "this dude", is big sht saying I can get a city up to 38, what is funny, what were u keeping "him" going at?
    plz explain

8. ArmOrAttAk

ArmOrAttAk Warlord

No, not you, somebody else. Shh don't want him to catch on we're talking about him.

9. kovalie

kovalie Chieftain

sorry dont understand again, R u bein sarcastic again

10. starlifter

starlifter Deity

by kovalie:
    My biggest natural city growth was size 43. I don't use the FCT, even in the one max scoring game I once played.

With the FCT, size is a matter of effort. It can reach size 127 max. Such cities beyond size 36 have no effective purpose beyond the final score (1 point per citizen), unless you like to make a huge city and have it nuked and still retain it's production citizens. :)

11. kovalie

kovalie Chieftain

starlifter, thats pretty good
    ps wotz FCT

12. starlifter

starlifter Deity

The FCT is the "Food Caravan Trick", which can be done with food caravans or food freight. It is a was of exploiting a quirk in the Civ 2 code that does not penalize the home city of a food caravan for repeatedly dending food caravans to a given city, thus forcing the target city to grow with no cumulative penalty in the home city. This can be used to make huge cities, albiet with micromanagement. There are lots of FCT discussions, esp. from last year. You can pull them up with the serch function. :)

The FCT is the only way to get mega cities and a mega-scoring game (e.g., above about 17,000 or so).

13. kmad

kmad King

I got 43 once, on chieftain obviously

14. Pongui

Pongui Deity

43? That's odd. In my worlds it always comes out "42".

I used to avoid placing cities with alot of water in their domain, thinking this just limited the city's population. Now I squeeze as much city domain onto the map as possible. All my cities have some overlap, but the nation gets more this way. A city on a point may be a risk early on, so I build these later. Also, I try to make my first cities good producers of settlers, so I'll skip some arid lands in the beginning. Does anyone know a trick for plotting-out where to place all the cities in an area? On some maps, they seem to just fall into place neatly, and I wonder if that's pure luck.

15. starlifter

starlifter Deity

The theoretical largest city is 46, thru natural growth only (no food caravans). All growth past size 41 must be done by filling the food box. I like to time it so that the WLTP day will hit 41 with an alomst full box, and go right to 42.

Here is an example:

The above is a max food "natural" city (92 total natural food). The max citizens it can support is 92/2=46. It would take a very long time to reach size 46, however!

:)

16. Andu Indorin

Andu Indorin Retired Druid

The only exception to this is an AI city on Deity+4 or Deity +5; but that's long story still in the writing ...

(AI Cheats!)

17. starlifter

starlifter Deity

Are you saying the AI gets bonus food (or its citizens consume only one food) at Dp4 or Dp5? 92 should "still" be the max food (assuming no double production), which means size 46. Right?

I have not checked anything at Dp1 and beyond, and my first Dp1 game is our Succession that we're playing.

18. seanwel

seanwel Emperor

What is "Deity+4" and "Deity+5?"

19. starlifter

starlifter Deity

Deity is normally the toughest level available in Civ 2. But Civ 2 can actually go to higher difficulty levels... the next higher is Dp1, then Dp2, etc. Dp4 is the 4th level above deity.

A group of us are playing a Dp1 game here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23240.

20. starlifter

starlifter Deity

Here are how the changes look in the game setup:

Barb settings can be increased, too: