naming rights for cities

disorganizer

Deity
on apo, they have a nice approach for naming rights for cities...

they run a randomizer thru the citizen registry to determine who is eligable for renaming.

we could still fix with the governor-naming right to rename a city, but we could implement this randomizer-thing for other namings to also give citizens a chance which dont let themselves be elected here.

any thoughts?

another thing:
i think the census office should track who already named a city in the census files...?!!

The tracking of city names is would be good. It would help avoid some of the troubles we had on the subject during this game.

However, we should keep our current system. The naming of cities by elected officials is a nice perk.

yeah, but many citizens would never have a chance to rename, especially on the high level we will play... maybe use a randomizer if the naming-chain runs out? of course, already granted persons will be excluded from the randomizer ;-)

Originally posted by Octavian X
That's a good idea. Unless I'm mistaken, after the CoC runs out, our current laws have the naming rights back at the top.

last I checked our Current method goes down the registry chronologically after the CoC.

However, it's been my experience that the CoC rarely runs out and goes to the Citizenry... so maybe we should completely randomze it, but we'd need some system to weed out Absent or inactive citizens.

Originally posted by Stuck_As_a_Mac
does any HAVE a randomizer that isnt them closing their eyes and scrolling through Excel?
Keep the governor naming rights.
also, let polls decide if names are okay (see City of Peace poll)
Excel has an excelent pseudo-random number generator. A worksheet could be set up to select a name randomly.

The Friedenburg case was a bit different as that was a rename, not a city named through the COC naming rights.

Yeah, I wouldn't use the Friedenburg case as an example... it was after all a rename, and shouldn't count because we happened to break *cough* several rules in the process of the rename. Just my opinion.

How about this for a 'randomizer.' I have a calculator that can generate random numbers (I think most have a function that does that). We could assign each active citizen a number, than use a random number generator on a calculator to get a number. The person who's number is selected gets to name it.

We'd still need a way to week out the inactives, though.

To weed out the inactives, generate a list randomly ahead of time. Say, 5 to 10 names. Post the list (not PM) and the ones who reply in a certain amount of time are live for naming a city.

or maybe gain 1/100 naming right for every post which is not spam ;-)
after 100 posts, you name the next city.

@dis:
Are you suggesting that you get to name 20 cities? :lol:

I think that our best bet for getting more citizens involved into the naming process is a randomizer, after the CoC runs out.

I agree with Octavian

Me too. Exhaust the COC, including names added to, or moved up in, the COC each Term. After elected and appointed officials then use a randomizer.

Top Bottom