Need help beating King

Bridog7

Little Monster
Need help on beating King when Napoleon is in the game. Since he starts of with a Cathedral. When I played Him he was almost done culture victory so quickly. Also I have tough time beating king. There close games. Especially this one time were me and Gandhi went right at it to the end. I took his city barely he was weak i was too but he was weaker and i took and another and that was that. I went on to win technology. I was using Lincoln in the game.

Moderator Action: Post given its own thread. ;)

you need to expand more. If you are letting the AI get a non-domination victory, especially on King level, you don't have enough cities and most likely you aren't being aggressive enough. Also, you probably are working your cities on balanced, which is a big no-no if you want to be able to play the game well at all. Balanced is slow and keeps you at the same pace as the AI. Go to city managment and start customizing your wokers

try building 2-3 warriors (two workers on two forests)
grow in your capital to 3 population (two workers on two grasslands for five turns)
get your 100 gold settler
Put workers on 2 forests 1 grass for 5 turns, and build a settler.
Grow you cap back to 3 pop w/ 2 workers on 2 grasslands.
In your other cities, start growing them to 3 pop, and start teching Bronze working, pottery, masonary and then irrigation. Before you hit irrigation, rush 2 more settlers, and then settle them after irrigation.
Get to Code of Laws,
Once you are in Republic, start making settlers till you have about 10 cities.
tech to navigation, currency, monarchy, feudalism, democracy.

this should be a good base for you to start with.

Do not build buildings until you are done w/ expansion. An early library is usually a mistake, because a settler will give you just as much science output, because 2 cities can tech just as much as one with a library. Other buildings are generally a waste of time as well in the early game.

GGrayson's strategy above is really solid.

To add to it though:

> Use your warrior early on to get some exploring done. The gold, units, rewards and ancient relics you find could mean the difference between a tough win, and an overwhelming victory for you (especially on King where you can totally dominate) And when it comes time to settle your first settler, you will have a great vantage point to pick the best possible place.
> Know your civ's strengths. If your the Russians, try to get a couple of Plains tiles in your city radius. If your are the Germans, stick to the forests.
> Picking a good spot for your first settler is one of the most important decision in game (IMO) So take your time analyzing the possibilities
> Use spies. I didn't realize how useful they were until very recently. A spy disrupting a cities fortifications or stealing a great person makes a huge difference.

If you can handle it militaristically, and Napoleon is blazing ahead of you in culture, just go to war with him. If he is busy producing units, he won't be producing temples or culture as much.

I don't know if people should keep giving answers to those posters. I mean, it's ok, but if you keep doing this, you are not helping people. You should say instead, look at the strategy archive, see if you find the right strategy, then, if you haven't found an answer (and saying what you found), we should answer to people's questions. So, the strategy archive will help more people and it won't be useless.

Top Bottom