Need some tips for Feudalism civic to boost food.

Fahim

Chieftain
Im looking for some tips to make the most out of the Feudalism civic in order to boost the food late game.

Just something I wonder about regarding this topic.
1. Should I remove Marsh and Rainforrests in order to build farms?
2. Are plantations considered farms in the the game?
3. Can you make a quick list for what tiles are considered farms in the game?
4. Should I plan ahead early game and think of where I want my triangles to be placed for late game?

Thanks in advance for all who participated and helped in this thread.

1. Initially, no. You don't have enough production to warrant building a ton of extra builders just to clear everything out. By the time you get to feudalism however, yes, because then farms become so much better that it's just worth it. If you need some more farms for the boost for feudalism itself that might also be a good time to start removing marsh/rainforest to make room for farms. Also feudalism unlocks serfdom which kind of resolves the builder issue
2. Uhm... no, they're plantations :s
3. Not sure what you mean exactly, farms are farms. There are no other farms than farms. Same way plantations are plantations and pastures are pastures
4. Planning ahead in Civ is always a good idea so yeah sure. Generally having a bunch of adjacent tiles next to a river is a good place to start, though you have to take into account that you probably want a commercial hub next to the river somewhere as well, and certain wonders need river adjacency too, so there's always some competition. If there's a big, empty flatland in-between two cities without any resources on them then getting a ton of farms in a big cluster is also a good idea, that can support both cities' food needs pretty much all on their own

1. Initially, no. You don't have enough production to warrant building a ton of extra builders just to clear everything out. By the time you get to feudalism however, yes, because then farms become so much better that it's just worth it. If you need some more farms for the boost for feudalism itself that might also be a good time to start removing marsh/rainforest to make room for farms. Also feudalism unlocks serfdom which kind of resolves the builder issue
2. Uhm... no, they're plantations :s
3. Not sure what you mean exactly, farms are farms. There are no other farms than farms. Same way plantations are plantations and pastures are pastures
4. Planning ahead in Civ is always a good idea so yeah sure. Generally having a bunch of adjacent tiles next to a river is a good place to start, though you have to take into account that you probably want a commercial hub next to the river somewhere as well, and certain wonders need river adjacency too, so there's always some competition. If there's a big, empty flatland in-between two cities without any resources on them then getting a ton of farms in a big cluster is also a good idea, that can support both cities' food needs pretty much all on their own
Farms have nothing to do with rivers (except for the fact that they can be build on floodplains, but not other desert tiles)

Improving on that, you might want to put your farm triangle on wheat or rice, which improve even more food yield. Sometimes you need 2 triangles if you want a really tall city, but usually one should suffice. You can harvest the wheat/rice leftovers for a quick boost in pop.

I think Farms in Civ 6 do not require Fresh Water, so it is unnecessary to place them near rivers.

What tech allows farms on hills? Civil engineering?
Yes (civic not tech but otherwise correct)...and farms are only ever on grassland or plains tiles (with the floodplains, rice+wheat exceptions)

Or just get +4 food fron internal trade route communism policy and forget about farming... xD
And why would you ever, ever build a farm on a minable hill??

To get the bonus with 3 farms, sometimes you have to because there's no 3 flat tile left.

Uhm, but what is the point?
Say, you farm a hill which could give 1 food 4 production, that's 5 production with apprenticeship, and more as you move to industrial.
You instead get +1 food on that tile and +1 food on some 2 farms nearby.
Considering how easily food is popped with a simple trade route and buildings, and how hard the hammers are to come by, I see no reason to ever kill a mineable hill in favor of farm, even for the feud bonus.

When looking at tile layout it's not like "that hill is in the way of my farms", no it's "these tiles probably shouldn't be farms then".

And at any rate, growing your city besides the point of building next district is pointless, as amenities and housing will screw you over anyway.
Like, last game I had all trade going into capital, which was size 28 by the climax, all other satellite cities were about size 13 if they were in good spots and size 10 if they were in bad/starved locations. That allowed me to build everything in capital, and industrial+commerce+campus+shrine in satellites, which is all you need from your trash cities anyway? Production/cash/science?
This way capital makes a tank army in 1 turn. Not a tank, an army...
There is no way you can get other cities pushing that sort of production and be relevant.

I dunno, I just cannot find it in my heart to ever put a farm on a hill in Civ6, where production is paramount right now.
This was the case in Civ5 for riverside hills, cause they got extra food with civil service, but those days come and gone.

Last edited:
I agree with ansa, it's pretty rare that you'll want to forgo a possible mine in order to put a farm on a hill. Not impossible, but pretty rare. At the point in the game that tech allows you to do that, production tends to be much more valuable than food. And mines on hill tiles are just awesome in Civ VI.

Uhm, but what is the point?

It depend on your situation.
If you build a city on hills, and have very few flat lands, farm on hill is necessary.
If you get to the point where you have way too many aminities and want to boost the pop of your city, you can do it and reverse back to full mine when it's bigger. If you're in a peaceful period and wanna boost your situation.

Yes you sacrifice a few hammer, but to get more people and more hammer afterward. That's the way I view it. Satellites city at 20 produce more than 13, if you have the amenities to do it. My last game was fulled with stadium and factory overlapping each other.

Say, you farm a hill which could give 1 food 4 production, that's 5 production with apprenticeship, and more as you move to industrial.
1 food/4 prod would already be after Apprenticeship as basic mine is +1 so maximum is 1/3 for plain hill before apprenticeship.
Other than that, i agree it's rare you want to farm a hill but probably if i have only 2 flat tiles in a city radius and can get a nice triangle of farms with one farm on hills, i would do it. Such a city have too many hills so sacrificing one to work more seems viable to me.
Im looking for some tips to make the most out of the Feudalism civic in order to boost the food late game.
A nice trick if you can get your cities early enough to pull it without sacrificing too much is the Ilkum-Serfdom builders wave. The idea is to pre-build workers up to 1 turn from completion using Ilkum (+30% worker production) right before you get Feudalism. Then switch to Serfdom and finish them. This way you get both benefits +30% production and +2 charges. Your wave of Feudalism builders can really get a lot of improvements done. It's unlikely you'll get perfect timing on every city so probably you'll have to stop some builders from completing, work on something else, and resume production after you get Feudalism. Also every builder will add to the time required to finish the next one so you want to finish those being built in smaller cities first.

Does Monty captures of workers also increases worker production cost?

This Ilkum-Serfdom is pure... Genius. Never heard before of it, and it's so simple that I feel dumb not thinking about that before. And if you manage to build the Pyramids you essentially get 1-2 more Builders from the extra charges (and more if you play as China, which incidentally also has a bonus for completing wonders).

Or just get +4 food fron internal trade route communism policy and forget about farming... xD
And why would you ever, ever build a farm on a minable hill??

Because trade routes are a pain to deal with and reset lol.

But at the same time, the only time I usually mine a hill is to get a farm triangle going. Yes it is situational, but there are times it would be advisable to do.

This Ilkum-Serfdom is pure... Genius. Never heard before of it, and it's so simple that I feel dumb not thinking about that before. And if you manage to build the Pyramids you essentially get 1-2 more Builders from the extra charges (and more if you play as China, which incidentally also has a bonus for completing wonders).

I just wait for someone to finish building those, then go kick their door in. Usually happens to be China xD

Because trade routes are a pain to deal with and reset lol.
But at the same time, the only time I usually mine a hill is to get a farm triangle going. Yes it is situational, but there are times it would be advisable to do.

Man, my worst city, which literally had not a single farming spot, only hills around, was getting food only from grassland hill mines, still was size 10 by the end game and built 3 districts I needed from it...
If you want to jumpstart it, then maybe there is some sense doing that.

I just wait for someone to finish building those, then go kick their door in. Usually happens to be China xD

I don't play much higher difficulties, but in my experience China hasn't even built early wonders such as the Pyramids or the Hanging Gardens. The only wonders I saw the AI rushing are Stonehenge and Oracle. But again, maybe on higher difficulties the bonuses might make them focus more on wonders after their infrastructure is up.

A nice trick if you can get your cities early enough to pull it without sacrificing too much is the Ilkum-Serfdom builders wave.
This thread has a more detailed breakdown on the efficiency of this tactic.

Yes, it's where i actually learned about it, but couldn't find it when i posted here as i searched for serfdom in the title :hammer2:

Top Bottom