Need to run Civ3 without CD

jongleur

Chieftain
I play Civ3 on my TiBook800, and leaving the CD in runs the battery down faster than need be. Is there any way to run Civ3 without the CD? I have tried mounting a copy of the CD under Roxio TT v5.2, but it Civ3 still wants the genuine thing.

Any help appreciated.

Hmm, IIRC, I think Brad (or someone else) posted that you could play Civ 3 by mounting a disc image, even just a blank one, but I can't really be sure, and it seems as though you've tried it already... From what I can gather at the moment, the answer seems to be a no, though.

Perhaps Macsoft/Firaxis can help. Have you asked them?

Originally posted by DiamondzAndGunz
Hmm, IIRC, I think Brad (or someone else) posted that you could play Civ 3 by mounting a disc image, even just a blank one, but I can't really be sure, and it seems as though you've tried it already... From what I can gather at the moment, the answer seems to be a no, though.

Perhaps Macsoft/Firaxis can help. Have you asked them?

I tried that, for similar reason (the battery of my iBook runs down faster when the CD is in), using a disk image created with Apple's Disk Copy, and it worked fine...

Never tried with a blank image though...

Whenever I buy a game, I make a copy of it using Disc Copy (New Image from Device, CD/DVD master). It works great, and really saves a lot of time.

-Jim

Create a disc image using an application known as Shrinkwrap, but then again I don't know how close this holds to true for OSX, for I am using OS 9.2. Hope this gives a little help.

Originally posted by JediMasterMikel Create a disc image using an application known as Shrinkwrap, but then again I don't know how close this holds to true for OSX, for I am using OS 9.2. Hope this gives a little help.
Yes, a little. ;).
Shrinkwrap is
  1. $30 shareware
  2. only available up to Mac OS 9
    [/list=1] I updated my post linked above to reference "Disk Copy", which is part Mac OS 9 and X and therefore free. :goodjob:

You kan do it with a disk image of a floppy fisk entitled Civilization III.

If you would like tao i can email you Shrinkwrap I have and it is only 1mb file for the whole thing if you would like I will send it let me know

If the only thing you want to do is save battery, then you can also start the game with the CD, then command-P, go on the finder, eject the cd. The game will still continue to work. (tested in OS X only).

On my desktop (867 Quicksilver G4) I always run Civ III without the CD. I just create an empty 5MB disk image and call it Civilization III and the program runs fine. All I've needed for this was Apple's Disk Copy. This also works in OS 9.2.2 as well and also on my Ruby 400G3 iMac. BTW, I had asked this specific question to Brad some time ago. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom