New Civ 3 Modder Questions

wargames2020

Chieftain
All,

I've been digging through the forums and google for answers to many of my questions on how to make custom Civ 3 content, but am unclear on a few points and am hoping someone can provide clarity.

Overall, I am seeking to build a traditional military style wargame within Civ 3, and thus am trying to add new units, graphics, and other mechanisms. A major aspect of this is converting the Civ unit icons on the map to being two dimensional sprites of NATO military wargame symbology.

First, is it possible to use two dimensional sprites as unit map icons?

Second, when we create new units and icons, does the game also require us to create custom animations for them or can the new units be devoid of animations. It is not a concern for me if the units "warp" around the map like when unit animations are turned off.

Thanks for any assistance, and I apologize if these questions are covered in another resource. It's a bit difficult finding detailed information on Civ 3.

wargames2020, welcome at CFC! :band:[party]

When I remember well, such a set of NATO unit icons for Civ 3 was done many years ago, but I cannot find it any longer.

To create two dimensional Civ 3 units is really no problem and in fact some of the first Civ 3 scenarios started with such a kind of units.
You only need a one flc image file done with flicster and can give it different sounds for attack, fortify and so on (only if wanted).

I attache such an unit of an unfortunately no longer public available scenario showing a simple animated frigate. The creator gave that unit several images for showing the direction of movement and a one frame image showing, if that unit is fortified.

In fact I´m reflecting myself about doing a space mod once a time with such units, as there is a lack of animated Civ3 units showing the space ships I want.

Attachments

• HeavyFrigateDefault.gif
    HeavyFrigateDefault.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 202
  • Heavy Frigate.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
:D:thumbsup:

Thank's so much for the response and welcome to the community Civinator!

That helps a lot to know I don't need to create animations just to get the new units to work.

Can I just design icons in powerpoint at the 32X32 pixel size and then integrate them into the game directly, or am I going to have to use a tool like FLIC? I guess the bigger question is what file format should these icons be in?

You have to transfer your graphics to the tool Flicster to create these units, as Civ 3 isn´t using a pure flc format. The 32x32 and 128x128 pediaicons images in pcx format are used for showing these units in several menues, but for showing them on the map, you need the additional Flicster graphics.

I'm not entirely certain what you're asking. In reverse order, my understanding of your questions are:
  1. "First, is it possible to use two dimensional sprites as unit map icons?" If you just mean static gfx, yes. You would simple need to make a static .flc (Flicster) file for each of the "Anims" in each unit's file (There's an "Attack.flc," a "Run.flc.," etc.
  2. "A major aspect of this is converting the Civ unit icons on the map to being two dimensional sprites of NATO military wargame symbology." This is really part of the same question, but I have a treat for you:
    • You can d/l a set of NATO stencils here.
    • You can follow a link from Pinterest to boardgamegeek.com here. (And there are also many other alternatives on that Pinterest page.)
    • To add some bg color (red) you can scroll down to one of Sven's posts here.
    • and on last Pinterest link here.
Cheers,
Oz

Top Bottom