New Succession Game (with a twist?)

Gurra09

Emperor
Hi there!

There's not much activity in this part of the forum but I was just wondering if there is any interest in a new succession game? I for one would be very interested so if someone out there is too we could get something going!

I don't have much more to say than that since most of the decisions probably should wait until we are more than just one person but I was thinking GNK+BNW (no other pay-DLCs to make it more accessible), 15-20 turns/set and maybe Emperor difficulty. Also it could be fun to add some kind of "twist" to it, like playing on one of the less standard map scripts or play a civ in a way it isn't really "supposed" to. One map script I thought looked a little fun and quirky (and haven't played before) is Tilted Axis where half the globe is mostly snow and ice. But everything is of course up to discussion.

Anybody up for it? :)

I am brand new to BNW. I have [civ5] down to the point where I can beat deity 30% of the time on a tiny map. I have the military side figured out. I am still figuring out the tourism/culture and faith/religion mechanisms so you may have to put up with some :smoke: moves.

Back in [civ3] days we would have some kind of major quest that was out of the ordinary. For example, in the League of Ordinary Gentlemen we has to protect the female leaders from any aggression from male leaders.

I've played two games thus far in BNW and am shaking the rust in general off for Civ, but I am very interested in honing my skills and SG's seem to be a great way to do that.

Count me in!

As the likely noob of the group, I will recuse myself from the "twist" selection.

If there are some people ready for a Succession Game I would like to get back into it as well. I've been in a few SG's in the past, but I've just been taking a long break from Civ.

When it comes to map script it could perhaps be fun to try a Highland map with enlarged seas, I mean larger than the default map script. Ordinary Highland maps have lots of choke points, with large seas that's even more so, and you get the seafaring aspect back, which I suppose is nearly lost in the original Highland map script (I haven't played Highlands beyond trying it for a couple of dozen turns or so).
It's just a suggestion, though.

Let's hope Gurra09 is still around, as the opening post already dates back from Oct 17!

Well, even if he isn't around it sounds like there's just enough interest where we could cobble one together. Just don't look to me to take the lead quite yet :crazyeye:

Wow, I'm surprised that this attracted so much attention now when it has been all quiet for over a month. Sadly, I am swamped with other stuff right now and don't have the time to play but it seems like you are enough people here to start something on your own. If you do start up a game, maybe I can join in later if you are still going then. :)

Wow, I'm surprised that this attracted so much attention now when it has been all quiet for over a month. Sadly, I am swamped with other stuff right now and don't have the time to play but it seems like you are enough people here to start something on your own. If you do start up a game, maybe I can join in later if you are still going then. :)

Sounds like we need a fearless leader. Any volunteers? Bueller? Bueller?

I could at least show some examples of map scripts that have been suggested. This is a Tilted Axis:

The landmasses may differ between small islands and pangaea, depending on your choice, but half the map will indeed be snow and ice. I've never played something like this, I suppose a human player won't have much to do with all that snow and ice, maybe even the AI will leave it alone, since there's no food at all there.

This is a Highland map with ordinary seas, they're actually a bit bigger than I thought they would be, but the seafaring element will still be limited by the looks of it:

Then here I've doubled the numbers for the seas in the map script:

Lots more seafaring activity, I'm thinking. You can of course set the seas as small or big as you like. Climate bands can also be increased or decreased. By default there's a fairly large tundra and snow band either in the north or south of the map.

Also a variant in the style Sir Bugsy was mentioning we could discuss. I'm not sure how the League of Ordinary Gentlemen worked in Civ III, but in Civ 5 other leaders sometimes ask you to join in a war. I could very well imagine a rule where, if a female leader asked you to go to war against a male leader, you had to comply.
Variants always increase the difficulty of a game, depending on how restrictive they are, so I think difficulty is a thing to determine last.

My vote is for the Highlands with the doubled sea.

As for "twist".... I really have no idea. There's a fine line between doing something extraordinarily difficult and doing something that makes the game too easy and therefore dull.

I'm all ears for suggestions!

I don't mind being the leader.

So we have on the team:

Eric the Great
Bugs
Polus
Optional

A fifth would be nice. So next we need to decide what we are going to do. So please provide your input on the following questions?

A straight up game? Some sort of twist?
What level? I'd like to see it at 6 or 7, but that's just me.
What civ? With 43 to choose from, it might be fun going random. I am a big fan of random on all sorts of things.
Land mass? Again I'd go for random.
How big? I'd say standard
Speed? Again standard.

Please provide your input.

A straight up game? Some sort of twist?

I would vote straight up...

What level? I'd like to see it at 6 or 7, but that's just me.

I would say 6; I'm currently playing a solo game on 5 and it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Although if we do 7 it could force me to step my game up even more, so I'm ok with either, just caveat emptor, if we go 7 I might make some :smoke: here and there.

What civ? With 43 to choose from, it might be fun going random. I am a big fan of random on all sorts of things.

I vote random.

Land mass? Again I'd go for random.

Again, random. I think this should be the theme of the SG. The proposer of the game isn't playing, it's my first game, people have just randomly come together in a relatively dead portion of the board. All of it just seems random to me.

How big? I'd say standard
Speed? Again standard.

Standard and Standard.

Looking forward to getting this going!

For game speed and map size I'm for standard.

As civ to play a random is fine with me, although I like to have a couple of starts to choose from (like we always did in the Von Münchhausen games).

Landmass - I think Shuffle means a fairly random landmass if you want random, also Fractal is reasonable random, although you'll always get Continents or Pangaea with that.

Emperor difficulty is fine, it's a bit under my level, but the level is one of the least important things.

I do think we need one or two more people interested in this thing.

I love it. A random SG.

One point on playing an SG, I have found that everyone really raises their game a few notches. Partly because you don't want to let everyone down and partly because you get some really good strategic discussions. Those discussions really inform your decision making and lead to some great game play. If you are playing on 5, you should be able to handle 7 in an SG. Plus we all :smoke: at times.

In which case, let's shoot for Immortal.

Should we wait on a fifth (or sixth) to get going? Or just start it up and sub in folks if they show up late?

Based on my cursory overview of this forum, I fear that if we don't get started soon, it could very well stagnate...

*Edit* Also, would it make sense to make a new thread being appropriately named the "Random SG"? Or should we just keep this one going?

Hey, I'd be interested in participating in this !

Random civ seems fine to me, I don't care too much about the map either, the highlands with seas could work, makes warmongering a bit harder but that's fine.

I have all DLC by the way, everyone participating should say what they have so that we know what can be enabled.

Same goes for me; all DLC present.

The map packs we can chuck out, but I like to ask if we can keep civs like Inca and Polynesia in if we all have them. In all SG's I played we left them out, but it looks like about everybody owns the extra civs by now, and I'd like to give them a chance of appearing as well.

Welcome aboard Teproc :wavey:

OK, I will start a new thread - Random SG 01. We haven't heard from Eric yet so hopefully he will check in soon. I will roll a few starts tonight and post them up.

Top Bottom