[PTW] News: GOTM 171 Persia Monarch 100k - Pre-game Discussion

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
GOTM171 Emperor Xerxes of Persia

gotm_171_illu.jpg

In game number 171 of the classic game of the month series, you will rule as Emperor Xerxes over Persia, an Industrious and Scientific civilization which starts the game with the knowledge of Bronze Working and Masonry. The sponsored victory condition for this contest is the 100k cultural victory, which is achieved by collecting 100 thousand culture points. Games finished in any other way are not eligible to win this contest.

This is a Monarch-level game designed by me, Più Freddo. The Persian unique unit is the Immortal, a very strong Swordsman.

As an innovation suggested by templar_x, I have placed an outpost on the starting location. This has the effect that we can see a larger portion of the map. If you settle in place, the outpost disappears. If you move the Settler, the outpost remains. I don't think this is a very large problem. The purpose is to allow a more informed pre-game discussion.

This is your start position:

gotm_171_start.jpg

We continue to use a modified form of the standard PTW scenario, and although no bugs have been reported in some time, it is possible that play testing has not been exhaustive. Any in-game event or behaviour that a player feels is unintended should be reported to the GOTM staff immediately.

Scope of the Game:

Civilization|Persia
Difficulty|Monarch
Map size|Standard, 100x100 Tiles
Map topology|Continents
Climate|Arid and Warm
Rivals|7 AI Tribes
Barbarians|Restless
Required victory condition|100k
Submissions due by 28 November 2018 |PLEASE NOTE THE DATE

Game release page The game is relased on 17 October 2018.

The GOTM series of friendly competitions is a community effort.
Please feel free to volunteer to design a game!
Send a PM to Più Freddo.

Last edited:
nice! a 6-turner "sans granary" to establish easily, while the resulting settlers make use of the fertile surrounding lands? i wouldn´t see any need to move, just settle in place.
t_x

It is to make the game more interesting. :crazyeye: Timing the vote with hitting 100k will be extra fun, and you won't get any second chances at the vote.

Seriously, I'm looking forward to not having raging barbarians. They are not making me happy right now. Also, 100k with a scientific tribe is much better than neither religious nor scientific. My first 100k win ever was with a scientific tribe, and also totally by accident as I was trying for domination, back when I didn't really understand the rules.

That looks like a wonderful starting location. I'll probably settle in place... although 1 SE could lead to a behemoth of a city with irrigation + hills later on. I think I see Flood Plains 2 E + 1 SE as well; there could potentially be a great deal more irrigable land in that direction.

It does look like a great 20K location. But really, I suspect many victory conditions could be won here, and a combo 100k/Diplomatic sounds like a great challenge given the positive starting conditions, as well as perhaps the temptation to go ahead and conquer the world should things go as well as the starting location suggests.

Despo would be just fine, you would only need railroads :p:D:thumbsup:
t_x

I'm playing PTW only for gotm so I've still some problems to handle with the differences to C3C...but if I get right the importance of a RCP is much bigger. So, isn't it quite obvious to settle right in place - as far we can see here next positions in a tree tile distance?

Yes, RPC works in PTW.

And the FP creates a whole new core. A Palace Jump to a new location or rushing the FP in a new location may only be made once you have some cities already in this place, I think OCN, the same number of cities you need to have to be able to build the FP at all. Having a remote Palace or FP in a lonely city reduces corruption too much in you actual core and is considered a banned exploit.

Top Bottom