NIF Versions and the latest version of Blender

topsecret

Believer
Supporter
I think it's been known for a while that the latest version of Blender and NIF tools will import unit NIFs but won't export them properly. Recently while working on something I discovered that there may indeed be a reason for this and may have cracked the code to using the latest version. I'm not 100% confident on this but hopefully this works.

I noticed exporting LHs didn't have the same problem as units, so I suspected there might be some difference, and that's when I discovered this thread from almost 15 years ago. WarKirby was trying to merge two NIFs of different versions (4.2.2.0 vs 20.0.0.4) and snipperrabbit!! posted this:

What are you trying to do ?
If you are taking a part from a LH (20.0.0.4) to paste on a unit (4.2.2.0) then you just have to import first your LH part nif in B, then export it as a 4.2.2.0 nif file -you may want to use a different name-, clear your session in B, import your base nif, import your part nif you just made, do the merge, rerig, etc ...

Apparently LHs use 20.0.0.4, but units use both 4.2.2.0 and 10.0.1.0

This is likely the reason NIFs won't export, as the new version of the NIF tools for Blender unfortunately don't allow you to pick different versions for a single game.

So far I've been able to export more when using the "Sid Meier's Pirates" game which exports 10.0.1.0 (instead of using Civ4 under "Scene" which exports 20.0.0.4)

I will do a video if I can confirm this is indeed the problem but we may be able to use Blender 3.x again.

Last edited:
NIFVersion.png

Hey, I wanted to pop in and update this. I was wrong about changing the game, it does not work properly with most NIFs.

I was incorrect about my earlier supposition, but I DID discover a workaround - we can use the new blender versions.

You must delete the texture files in order to get the files to export under the Civilization IV game. Then you can just paste them back in via NifSkope later!

I may upload a video of this later this week.

but I DID discover a workaround - we can use the new blender versions.

You must delete the texture files in order to get the files to export under the Civilization IV game. Then you can just paste them back in via NifSkope later!
Lightbulb.png

You are amazing~!! :banana: :thanx:

Exactly the way I proceed. I was persuated it was just because I didn't know how to do it correctly :lol:

Exactly the way I proceed. I was persuated it was just because I didn't know how to do it correctly :lol:
Ha! Good job, I struggled with this for a while before finally putting the pieces together :D

I suspect it has to do with the way Leaderhead textures are processed versus unit ones, but I have no proof.

Top Bottom