1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

November Gauntlets

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by aafritz17, Nov 6, 2020.

1. aafritz17

aafritz17 Prince Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

November gauntlets are visible on the HOF Gauntlet tab.

PLEASE DO NOT MISS THAT THE MINOR IS ONE-CITY-CHALLENGE!!! (It's a Chieftain "Any Leader" culture game.)

The Major is immortal, science, Darius on Terra. There are two entries on the table (from 2013 and 2015), so medals are in play.

skadecka likes this.
  2. Nizef

Nizef Prince

I tried Egypt for the OCC minor. It took me until t190 to win. The starting land was not good enough and the growth was only average. Still I had fun. :)

skadecka likes this.
  3. aafritz17

aafritz17 Prince Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

How much warring did you have to do?

skadecka likes this.
  4. Nizef

Nizef Prince

I didn´t perhaps "have to" go to war. However, every time an AI is settling near me, I get angry. :) In the Egypt game, I killed Elizabeth (3 cities) and crippled Rome significantly. After that no AI tried to settle too close to me... Otherwise I tried to play peacefully.

zenmaster and skadecka like this.
  5. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

The quick speed, large size, and Ice Age map on the minor makes a conquering strategy to destroy high culture civs suboptimal. The unit limit with the OCC also hurts.

I tried Brazil a bit, but exploration was too slow to get tourism going soon enough. I tried Babylon to tech to Archaeology as fast as possible and that worked a lot better- however, the exploration was still an issue.

Solution: Kamehaha. Beat the Babylon time pretty well even with a runaway culture civ. Played another Polynesian game and got a win in the T120s. I think it will be hard to beat Polynesia unless you get a great map/fast exploration with a good tech/culture civ. Kamehaha can start racking up tourism with all civs quicker than anyone.

skadecka likes this.
  6. fiddlesticks

fiddlesticks Chieftain

I tried Darius in the Major and wound up with a turn 273 science win. The game hinged early on capturing Mecca for a great second capital city once I built Petra there. At the end of the game I probably could've shaved off 10-20 turns if I had done better at gaining friends and signing research agreements.

Attached Files:

skadecka likes this.
  7. billybgame

billybgame Prince

As far as the Minor goes, boy, I must need some educating. Turn 120? Yikes. Granded I am just trying to fill out my VVV and trying Maria and Portugal. My main issue in oh so many Culture efforts is one or two civs that I just can't dominate in culture/tourism. Had a good game going, but Askia was just remote enough that I could never build a trade route. Trade route are mystifying to me, sometimes....seems I should be able to connect to them somehow, but no. This is the same issue I've had in many a failed culture effort. A far away civ with no trade method. Or, not meeting them early enough. This game didn't have that. But, am at turn 220, with Askia at 93%...but it's been painstaking. Everyone else, save Augustus more recent, has long since been dominated.

I realize the method of militarily eliminating a pesky culture rival. But, recognizing it early enough is the key. I probably should have wiped out Askia 50 turns ago, in retrospect.

I've got 100 tourism at 1900...so I think this has been a fine effort. Any tips would be appreciated. I just think in this OCC the type of map is most important of all, to allow for trade routes with every civ. I was able to meet everyone pretty early, but this map just didn't lend to long reaching trade routes.

skadecka likes this.