Now I get the Steam Haters

gzollinger

Chieftain
I couldn't understand what the big deal was with all the hating on steam. What is the big deal I thought....Until tonight.

I have been trying to play the stinking game and have been getting a server busy when trying to download the patch. This has been going on for 30 minutes without success. I am right in the middle of a great game, and I can't play. The sad thing is I don't even care about the patch, I was enjoying it just fine last night without it. Seems like I should be able to skip that stinking patch if no servers are available, but I can't see how.

Anyone out there know how to get past the patch and still play the game.

Assuming your save is on your desktop not the cloud, you should be able to just close steam and play as normal. The only issue I can see is if the patch is partially there, but it should be downloaded to a temp folder and then installed if they did it 'properly'

Weird, I've only ever had a problem with really slow downloads when the patches are really big. Did you try restarting Steam or changing download regions?

You can right click on Civilization V in the list and go to Poperties to disable automatic updating.

Mate, I have been trying to play for over 24 hours with no success. "Servers are busy, try again in a few minutes." What's the point of buying the DLC if it precludes me from accessing my own game? Offline mode doesn't work so I am pretty much boned until steam decides I am allowed to launch.

I had the same problem after getting the retail CD. Wouldn't install from the physical media at all, even though I pointed directly to it when executing the install as per support instructions. Took a few days before I found it D\Ling the entire game around 3am.

What a STEAMing pile of crap this system is!

You better hurry up and win that game before the patch is fully downloaded. Old saves don't work with the new patch....and the new patch downloads and installs automatically!

You better hurry up and win that game before the patch is fully downloaded. Old saves don't work with the new patch....and the new patch downloads and installs automatically!

Oh man, tell me that isn't true! I was up till 3:00 this morning, and I leave for work at 6:00.

You can't while Steam is in online mode. But you probably can if you restart Steam in offline mode.

About your problem: open Steam, go to Stram > Settings > Downloads and check that "Download Region" is set correctly.

I couldn't understand what the big deal was with all the hating on steam. What is the big deal I thought....Until tonight.

I have been trying to play the stinking game and have been getting a server busy when trying to download the patch. This has been going on for 30 minutes without success. I am right in the middle of a great game, and I can't play. The sad thing is I don't even care about the patch, I was enjoying it just fine last night without it. Seems like I should be able to skip that stinking patch if no servers are available, but I can't see how.

Unplug your connection entirely. If you're running through a router, disable your adapter. Cable modem - unplug it. DSL - unplug it.

You have to convince Steam that there's no possibility of connecting.

I'm thinking he's talking about the 1.0.0.621 hotfix that was just released that fixes the old saves issue introduced in 1.0.0.62

Oh - and BTW -

Add your voice to the general Steam thread, because there are multiple people that are completely convinced that internet connectivity issues are don't happen to anyone anymore :lol:

I'm thinking he's talking about the 1.0.0.621 hotfix that was just released that fixes the old saves issue introduced in 1.0.0.62

Hmmmmm. it hasn't worked for me. The new hot fix patch downloaded when I started steam and I still can't load my old savegames.

This auto-download of patches makes it tough to play a long game over a period of time.

I have had problems with the same thing several times with the first patch and the dlc both did it. Every time Steam has a brain fart all i have to do is delete the file named "ClientRegistry.blob" in the main directory and restart steam and it works like a charm every time.

It happens when steam itself tries to update sometimes. Anytime you cant get it to update something or it says servers unavailable 9 times out of ten if you delete that file it will login in and start any update that it got hung up on. It has only done this when it there is a patch, not even when it downloads it per say even before it starts it has done this. Who knows why Steam is so finicky with updates but had to do it atleast 4 times since ciV has come out.

Hmmmmm. it hasn't worked for me. The new hot fix patch downloaded when I started steam and I still can't load my old savegames.

This auto-download of patches makes it tough to play a long game over a period of time.

So turn it off I believe it's - Right click the game on steam > chose show properties > go to update tab > select do not keep this game upto date

Top Bottom