OLD bug: Descent unto madness

Zephyr Arsland

Chieftain
Hello everyone, I have a question about a bug present on V27 (Yes, I know we've come far now, being in V30 and everything, but I have a friend who lost a 100+ hours game to this... bug, or whatever it is, and he refuses to play the mod again until he knows what went wrong and if it was fixed)

Secondly, I'd really love to have some savegames to share to illustrate my point, but this friend erased everything when he thought he wouldn't be playing again (against my recommendation) so we lost that too. But maybe you can lend a hand anyways:

Basically, what happened was that he was playing a 14000-turns game on Warlord difficulty on a standard-sized map, with RevDCM on. Everything went OK until he reached the Modern age or so (past Dieselpunk techs). He noticed that civilizations were struggling to keep order and were revolting all the while, being reduced to warring barbarians at an alarming rate. His cities too, were taking hits to stability with no apparent reason, and even his prosperous megalopolis (riddled with hapiness and stability-inducing wonders) were starting to become unruly (the point of this game was to emulate a rich capitalist-corporative civ). Eventually the world descended into chaos, every city revolted and order became impossible to mantain. EVERY civ on the map got the same zombie apocalypse or rhabdovirae strain or whatever, at the same time. He managed a diplomatic victory, but had to quit an otherwise enjoyable game.

Now, I know this looks more like an interesting anecdote rather than a serious bug report, but even if I lack the material that would help pinpoint the problem, I'd like to know, at least, if anyone in the development team knows what might've caused this, and if so, if it has been fixed. This wasn't normal, or if it was, there was absolutely no warning, no message, no indication that something special was happening. And yet, the game came to a grinding halt in something quite similar to World War Z.

I apologize in advance for the strange nature of this request. Thanks!

Very difficult to diagnose from just a description but I suspect that there was an integer overflow problem. This is something that is being addressed and many of the cases have been fixed. Unfortunately once it happens that is it for that game, unless you have a save from before it happens and can go back to it.

Thank you for the prompt reply, and to an issue with so few data to lead you on.

I'll share your answer with my friend, I know he's dying to play again, but he's being stubborn on account of his lost progress on that game. Anyways and on an unrelated note, I've been trying v30 (Been absent from v28 until today) and it's great. Keep up the good work, and thanks again =)

Thank you for the prompt reply, and to an issue with so few data to lead you on.

I'll share your answer with my friend, I know he's dying to play again, but he's being stubborn on account of his lost progress on that game. Anyways and on an unrelated note, I've been trying v30 (Been absent from v28 until today) and it's great. Keep up the good work, and thanks again =)

My guess is that it probably has NOT been fixed. HOWEVER, if he keeps saves for major checkpoints AND sends us a save if it happens again we WILL fix it and allow him to progress without the bug from his previous saved checkpoint, so while he may get a few days' hiatus while we fix the issue (if he encounters it again) he will not lose the game.

I agree, Koshling has an amazing "compatibility" program set-up with C2C, and ALL savedgames are compatible with each other as long as no major breaks in the game, which i believe has not happened since v20 or so (just guessing). So if he can maybe find the old savedgame it still should work. If not do what i do and start over and now that you know what is going to happen try to prevent it, it is HARDER than you think once you get into the Modern Era, and on that note, i'd say "Bravo" on making it that far:clap:

Top Bottom