Old World - Behind The Throne DLC released

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter

Today, Mohawk Games has released the latest DLC for Old World, "Behind The Throne".
This DLC brings new characters, 350 new events, new projects, and most interestlingly new gameplay mechanics. This includes characters who might be competing with you as a leader, a grand vizier who manages your cities better (or doesn't he?), new political eras, civil wars, and much more.
For the release, the DLC has been discounted by 10%, from 9.99 to 8.99.
The base game, as well as the bundle with all DLCs, is also on sale, for 27.99 instead of 39.99, and 57.14 instead of 94.94.
Get the base game at Steam, Epic or GOG, and the new DLC here at Steam, Epic or GOG.

We're aware - it should be sorted out tomorrow, hopefully in the morning.

What he said. :)

Thanks for the new DLC!
But where to find detailed description about how to use new mechanics?

Last edited:
I'd also love a more in-depth breakdown of mechanics and how they work. Everything I've read has been pretty surface-level so I'd be very interested to hear how civil wars work, what new "political eras" are (I don't recall any such thing as a "political era" in-game, so how can there be new ones?) and what is meant by "much more".

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

But where to find detailed description about how to use new mechanics?

The manual has been updated to v1.57 and includes a short description on page 152. The only other DLC that added new mechanics (Sacred & Profane) has more detailed information, so this section might get expanded in the future.

For now, the most detailed information can be found in the encyclopedia (under DLC Mechanics). It's just a collection of tooltips for all DLC-related features, but it's good to have them in one place ... and enough to make me look forward to the weekend.

I'd also love a more in-depth breakdown of mechanics and how they work. Everything I've read has been pretty surface-level so I'd be very interested to hear how civil wars work, what new "political eras" are (I don't recall any such thing as a "political era" in-game, so how can there be new ones?) and what is meant by "much more".
:blush: I have no clue, I just pulled together the most interesting things which I saw on the sales page, and hoped it would make sense.
I'm glad that the other people here could already give some pointers :).

As mentioned above by others, there is the BtT entry in DLC Mechanics category of the pedia.

1717017808076.png

Plus also an extensive talk about the features of the DLC with @entropatia (the designer of the DLC) plus superfan player Emergent, in the latest podcast.

Is it just me or does the game seem to have jumped up a level in toughness? I am by no means anything more than an average player, but I used to win consistently on The Good. Since this DLC, I had to drop back down to The Just and it seems to be what I am used to. Everything is on the default setting and I am constantly fending off raiders and if a nation declares....I struggle as I am not adept at having a ton of orders.

I'd say Old World is getting harder independently of DLC, simply because the AI is constantly being improved. It was very good on release and it gets better with most updates. We introduced a new easiest level of difficulty setting, The New, a few months ago as new players were struggling on The Able.

Behind the Throne also adds a lot of impactful events and mechanics that can change the game balance. We are looking at feedback and tweaking the balance based on this, so expect further adjustments to DLC balance.

I'd say Old World is getting harder independently of DLC, simply because the AI is constantly being improved. It was very good on release and it gets better with most updates. We introduced a new easiest level of difficulty setting, The New, a few months ago as new players were struggling on The Able.

Behind the Throne also adds a lot of impactful events and mechanics that can change the game balance. We are looking at feedback and tweaking the balance based on this, so expect further adjustments to DLC balance.
Thank you! Really appreciate the response and proof that I am not imagining it. I am rather addicted to this game.

Exciting! Looking for an excuse to get back into the game, and will definitely check these out.

oh and as for feedback, I definitely think Raiders come at you too frequently now. I feel I spend too much time fighting and not enough building. I have also had a harder time keeping families (and other nations) happy.

I'm not enjoying the new events and the whole GV thing. My two cents. I'm still in my first game since the update (only playing a few hours a week) but next game I'll turn it off.

Still glad I bought it to support the devs. :)

Top Bottom